Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

pod HD500 will not boot !!!!

vinnyroxx

Howdy pod people,

attached is a video showing my POD not being able to boot up, ...i was on stage last night all was well in sound check and then time to plug in and it just kept flashing on and off !!!!! ......anybody know whats going on ???

Try plugging the power cable into the POD whilst holding down the left directional button. This does a kind of hard global reset. It won't delete any patches but you'll want to check your other global settings to make sure they are how you like them.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

You could also try holding the right arrow while powering on. Should bring up a utility type screen for calibrating the exp pedal. Another option on this screen is flash. I'm not exactly certain what all the options do (perhaps Digital_Igloo could chime in), but if you select 'flash' using the down arrow key, then the 'view' button, I suspect it does some sort of diagnostic on the flash memory. When this is done on a working unit it puts a 'P' after the flash option. Same thing with the sdram option.

But if you can get the unit to this utility screen, you could try reflashing using the Line 6 Monkey program.

One last note before you try all this: unplug everything from the unit, except obviously the power cable. I remember reading on this forum that someone with a similar problem got his unit working again after unplugging everything.

Howdy all,

I'm from Brazil, and I've bought my pod hd 500 about 1,5 year ago. Unfortunetelly this same bug (flash continuosly on and off) happens with my unit and I'm really upset about it. This is not a chep device here in Brazil, and people buy it in hope it will support you as expected and also due to Line 6 has a great reputation here. I just sent my unit for assistence. Another concern about it, it's the charger, as it is very delicated, whenever I'm on stage I need to be aware to avoid footing upon it and harm it even more. As I'm used to that glitch I'd like to share that once the pod hd 500 gets warm, it doesn't turn off, so I believe the problem is at on own device. Please consider that whenever developing whatever product.

I can't see the video. It says it's private.

Is it just stuck in a reboot loop? The line 6 logo appears, then disappears, then appears, then disappears, etc.? I've had that happen a few times to an hd500 (I think as a result of using hdedit and adjusting things on the unit itself) but the left arrow thing always worked.

If the left or right arrow doesn't work for you, I'm out of suggestions other than getting it serviced by a line 6 repair center. It sure does suck when technology craps out on you at the most inopportune time. :(

Hello all, I've posted some weeks ago, I just got back my pod hd 500 from assistence, the glitch on it was the harmed capacitors in the charger, because of that the capacitorns whitin the pedal was harmed too, I've paid closely to U$ 60,00 to repair it. The technician told me this wasn't due to bad usage, but just I've got a defective charger.

• 2 weeks later...

That happened to me twice. To "solve it" (probably it will happen again), unplug the power cable, press and hold the directional left button, plug the power back while still pressing the left button. Release the button when the Line6 logo goes out and the view of signal effects chain appears.

After that, you will need to set the outputs and calibrate the expression pedal again.

• Upvote 1

this tends to happen if you load a tone from customtone that was created on an older firmware.

eliminating the questionable tone can also eliminate the issue... just FYI.

Hey Zap,

There is no real way to check out the patches for this before hand is there? It would suck to pop in a random tone and not be able to boot back to dump it.

I wonder if the HD Conversion app somehow takes out that offending part of the patch? Take HD500 patch convert it to 500x then back *voila* fixed :-)

I haven't hit CT for the HD500 yet as I am still digesting MeanBobos guide.

Regards!

Bill

no way to check them before hand that i'm aware of, I also doubt the converter would make any difference.

pure speculation on my part... but i think that they have refined the required DSP for the models over time

and possibly some combinations that were ok on previous firmwares don't get what they need now... (or vice versa)

or some variation of that, because the tone files are essentially just text files that tell what gets turned on and the settings to use.

i just dont think converting the file would change those selections or their settings.

it may be some part of the tone that isn't used the same as well...

because it also seems that recreating a tone works fine... so maybe the older firmware (or older version of edit)

inserted some bad info.

as i said alot of speculation on my end... 

but i've seen the issue a few times and it usually gets traced back to this sort of scenario.

although i imagine it could be just as possible if your own personal tones were created on an older platform and you upgraded...

that's why it's best to backup before updating and to stay updated...

part of the monkey update process can be made to modify your tones...

BUT... if you update from say version 1.2 to 1.9 or whatever (i made the numbers up...)

you might be skipping a conversion built into a 1.7 upgrade process...

again my theory... 

Hey Zap,

There is no real way to check out the patches for this before hand is there? It would suck to pop in a random tone and not be able to boot back to dump it.

I wonder if the HD Conversion app somehow takes out that offending part of the patch? Take HD500 patch convert it to 500x then back *voila* fixed :-)

I haven't hit CT for the HD500 yet as I am still digesting MeanBobos guide.

Regards!

Bill

You could just load the patch with the actual unit not turned on and then save it. The only thing with this is it doesn't have a dsp limit check, but would likely ensure that any inputs/outputs would be valid. This would also allow you to rebuild a patch from scratch from screenshots you can take when the unit is not on.

You could just load the patch with the actual unit not turned on and then save it. The only thing with this is it doesn't have a dsp limit check, but would likely ensure that any inputs/outputs would be valid. This would also allow you to rebuild a patch from scratch from screenshots you can take when the unit is not on.

Ohhh - just run HDEdit on its own - screenshot it - rebuild and pop it back in. That should handle any of the older firmware patch glitches.

Nice outside the box thinking Duncan!

-B

PS - OP sorry for the attempted threadjacking. :)

Hey everyone,

I just bought the Line6 POD HD500X and ran into that same problem with the logo-loop issue, especially after I just launched the Line6 Edit program for my first time.

I managed to recover my presets thank God. Powering up the device with the left arrow did the trick and I later realized that the expression pedal had to be re-calibrated because it didn't function like normal. I've had the HD500X for a total of 9 days and this already happens, but thankfully you all shared your tech tips. Thank You.

Now...the question is, (and this directed to the software people at Line6), what can you do to fix this problem? Is it the Edit program, or the way it communicates with the device, or is it some built-in failsafe program within the device itself? Is there going to be some sort of update in the future to prevent this from happening again?

Your loyal Line6 Customer,
DRoblaze

I doubt if any Line 6 software engineer will answer you. Perhaps Digital_Igloo (Line 6 employee) might know something if he happens to read this thread. But as you know this issue occasionally comes up on this forum and I think the unverified consensus is it's some sort of synchronization issue when editing using hd edit and the actual device during a single session.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

I have the same issue, all you need to do is hold down the left directional key. It is found between where it says "Enter, AMP & FX/On/OFF" and "DBL PRESS TO ASSIGN CTL MOVE". You will find 4 uni-directional arrows, hold down the one on the left. It will bypass that first screen.

Hope this helps.