Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

1st time with M20d

Hi!

I have just purchased an M20d. For now I love it - the simplicity, the sound, the design... But I hate it for not having enough channels :(

So I have to put up amplification for a friend of mine in a week, and his band will be using:

1 keyboard

drum kit: (7 mics)

1 bass

2 guitars

3 vocals

3 back vocals

and some one with a mic running around

That totals 16 mics, but M20d only have 12 mic inputs....

What strategy would you recommend?

cutting down number ob drum mics?

putting back vocals on one mic?

I do still have my old mixer available (Yamaha MG166cx), with 8 mic inputs...

But how to integrate it with M20d?

Put the drum mics on Yamaha, and run it to one of the inputs on M20d?

or

set-up as much as I can on M20D, and then run it to stereo channels on Yamaha, also putting the rest of the mics on the Yamaha?

Thanks!

I do think you could probably get away with fewer drum mics if you needed to, but I like your idea of using of using your Yamaha mixer as a sub-mix for the drums. You could then run the output from it into two of the line inputs (assuming you still want to keep a stereo mix) in the M20d. That would free up 7 mic preamps on the M20d, and would be pretty clean.

I agree with Phil_m, use less drum mics.  If I'm mic'ing a live kit now it's snare, kick and two overheads.  If you place the mics strategically you can get a killer drum sound this way and it's three fewer live mics on the stage to contend with.  Is there a way to have the bass go direct with an XLR to 1/4" special cable?  Then keyboard could go into 13/14 and bass could go into 15.  Do you often have gigs where you will have 6 vocal mics on stage? 

When you use a sub mixer for drums you may want to keep the kick drum separate. This way you can have low end in the kick drum while high passing the rest. Another option would be to sub mix the backing vocals. The guitar mics can go into 13-14. The line inputs 13-16 work with microphones as long as the level is decent.

1 kick

2 snare

3 oh l

4 oh r

5 bass

6 voc

7 voc

8 voc

9 voc

10 voc

11 voc

12 voc

13 gtr l

14 gtr r

15 keys

16 spare

17/18 spare

Do you often have gigs where you will have 6 vocal mics on stage? 

Not really - I think, this will happen once a year:) 

I usually do events with multiple electronic artists - a dj spinnin' vinyl + sax player, a dj with keyboards and drum machines + singer... that sort of stuff, so there is always plenty of channels. But this is A special one for me :)

Likewise we only run 4 mics for drums; XY stereo pair of Rode NT5's (and using don boomers recently uploaded preset which is incidentally awesome!) then a D112 for kick and an SM57 for snare.

Did a multi band gig last night with 4 thrash metal bands. Mic'd their kit (they all shared the same basic kit) and it sounded awesome.

I've a small Yamaha analogue mixer and would also consider running either mics for backing vox or drums in for a submix then feed the stereo outputs from the Yamaha into 2 channels of the M20. I'd assume that you could run that submix in to 13/14 or 15/16 though if you want to add full FX it'd be better run into two of the mic pres.

Not really - I think, this will happen once a year:) 

I usually do events with multiple electronic artists - a dj spinnin' vinyl + sax player, a dj with keyboards and drum machines + singer... that sort of stuff, so there is always plenty of channels. But this is A special one for me :)

That's cool, I think it's good to have some gigs that challenge us in new ways.  Good luck with it!!!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 1/4" line inputs have a smaller set of available presets.  It was assumed that devices plugged in here would already be somewhat processed (mp3 players, keyboards, drum machines, etc) and not require much additional processing.  To have all possible presets available you need to plug not inputs 1 - 12.