Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hope this doesn't violate forum policy, Dream Rig FS

NoelEiffe

Hi folks.

Figured this might be a good place, and I haven't seen any rules posted against doing this but if so we can remove.

I've got a complete, very good condition dream rig I'm going to move out of...never gigged, never been out of bedroom studio. 

James Tyler Variax JTM-59. Has a factory ding in the binding. Recently set up by Mouradian Guitar.  Also have extra Line 6 ethernet cable 25' new.

Pod HD500.  Latest firmware, box, etc.

DT-25. Never gigged, still has a factory "guide card" up top.

You all know what this is worth, and it is all in very good condition. If you'd like to discuss, please PM me here for photos and to discuss price and shipping. I will consider separating. US only please. I am willing to negotiate, but crazy lowballing isn't really appreciated.

Thanks, Noel

I just got rid of the same stuff that you have for sale. Can I ask why you made the decision to sell yours?

I found mine to be totally unreliable in a live performance situation and switched back to my old gear.

Which by the way, sounds much better and has never quit on me during a show.

Besides, the actual guitars and analog effects  sound better than some modeled reproduction and are MUCH less complicated to use and don't require sitting at your computer all day trying to get your stuff to sound right.

I'd rather use my time PLAYING music than fixing up another lame update or problem with this stuff.

If one likes to diddle around endlessly with your gear, than this stuff is for you..............

Chuckie

40+ years lead guitar &

live blues band performer

• Upvote 2

4 many-many decades (since 1970) i've used my 1972 strat -jimmy hendrix white, 3 position selector switch- with tube amps.

had many fuse 'n tubes 'blow-outs' during lives (classic rock is the genre), that's why i always carried 2 of them, 1 as emergency backup unit. 'n believe me, these amps r REALLY HEAVY!

my last amp was a fender custom shop prosonic combo.

since i got the hd500+jtv, all this analogue vintage staff is gloriously decommissioned.

hd500+jtv is THE RIG, nothing else needed. i connect direct 2 pa 'n the sound delivered 2 the audience is really good, dare i say even better than analogue, cause i now can easily simulate studio processing techiques @ stage (dual amps, dual guitar sounds, acoustic sounds, etc).

demo vids here.

wishing u many-many trouble-free gigs with actual guitars and analogue effects...

That's why there are Rolls Royce,Fords & Chevy's & VW's. Different strokes for different folks.......

I can afford the good stuff and can tell the difference....

Just got a new PRS Archon amp...........WOW!

Glad you like your gear and wish you all the best too.

I guess that I honestly never really liked having to F around with a computer all the time.

Plus my 59 went south 3 different times on me.

If you can't afford better stuff.....buy a Kia.

But it will never be a Rolls..........

Now, where's my 68 Custom Shop Les Paul????

With Respect to All,

Chuckie

• Upvote 2

hey,    chuckie, nice 2 hear from u again !
i give u +2.
thought u said a definitive "good bye & good riddance",  'n u left behind these line 6 fora 'n all us fellas with our cheep beatle vw's.
it is good u can afford 'n bought ur new rolls royce prs archon amp.
can u afford 2 post some demo vids/sounds u driving this rolls royce?
may b i'll start savings 2 buy a kia...
best rgds/john

• Upvote 1

Hey John,

Remember even KIA has a luxury model !!!

Just kidd'n with 'Ya....you seem to have a good sense of humor.

Kept the Stage Source set-up so      it's good.

On the road for 2 weeks, 

"See You on the Radio"

Chuckie

I just got rid of the same stuff that you have for sale. Can I ask why you made the decision to sell yours?

I found mine to be totally unreliable in a live performance situation and switched back to my old gear.

would anyone from Line 6/Yamaha speak to this point? It is of great concern to many of us.

Thinking about this topic, there are a few points worth mentioning:

1.  Not everyone hears, or perceives, things the same way.  Some of us are more discriminating than others.  If you aren't getting the tonal quality you like out of the "Dream Rig" then it probably is not for you.  Like Chuckie, I hope you find the gear combination that satisfies your ears and soul.

2.  Electronics gear often comes off of the line with defects that are not exposed during the manufacturing, or even the quality control process.  Sometimes it takes a bit of time and "burn in" for these defects to begin to show up.  That's why Line 6 provides a warranty period, during which time, the device can be repaired or replaced at no cost.  Advice:  During break-in periods (and even after), have a backup plan (see #5 below)

3.  In my opinion, the JT Variax as well as the HD500/x are consumer grade gear, but fun and versatile.  The guitars aren't even a pale shadow of something like a Les Paul Custom Shop.  The HD500/x's are a bucket full of compromises, and at heart are computers, that will most likely die, or become obsolete in time.  It can also be argued that the POD will not match the sound quality of a well crafted, expensive, tube amp, or even higher end modelers, such as those from Kemper, or Fractal Audio.  The HD PODS are also A LOT less expensive than the others I've mentioned.  If you've got expensive ears, and a wallet that can indulge them, by all means, go for it! :)

4.  The DT Amps, to me, are the high point of the "Dream Rig" in terms of sound, versatility, and quality.  However, being high voltage electronics devices, they can be susceptible to heat, electronics failure, and tube wear.   These can sometimes fail as well during a performance, as can almost any amp.

5.  I only play out with my rig about once a month, and I have had no failures in the last couple of years of gigging with it.  That said, I always have a fallback if one of the elements fails.  For my JT59, I can fall back to the mags.  For the HD500, I can plug my guitar directly into my DT25.  For the DT25, I can plug my HD500 directly into the PA system.  I keep a set of "Pre" tones for using my DT25, and a set of "Normal" tones for going PA direct.  Is this ideal? No, but it will get me through the show.  If your performance demands that you have full replacement ability and exact tones for every song during a show, then bring replacements for everything. I would find it hard to believe that high paid professionals don't bring backup gear "just in case"

By the way, I'm not making these points as a "Line 6 Expert,"  but as a regular guy who likes to play, enjoys the flexibility that the "Dream Rig" offers, and finds the tones to be easily good enough to sit nicely in the band's mix.  My $.02 USD

Cheers,

Big Chas

• Upvote 1

A wide variety of user experiences are reported in these forums. Here's another example:

http://line6.com/support/forum/18-pod-hd/

Yes there are a lot of user experience voiced in these forums. But this would sure be nice......"Hello, my name is Linus Six, I am the grand pooba of quality control and product testing here @ Line 6. Many of you have voiced concerns about the reliability of of your line 6 gear, i would like to focus specifically on The Pod Hd 500, DT 25/50 and/or L Series speaker and JTV Variax also known as "The Dream Rig". We continue to strive to make the absolute best gear....blah...blah...blah...and your concerns are extremely important to me personally. We've conducted extensive testing of the Dream Rig components in an attempt to address the many concerns expressed by our loyal customers in this forum. Here are our findings"......

I won't hold my breath!

Yes, that would be nice. And, given the range of expressions here, what about this too:

"Hello, my name is Linus Six, I am the grand pooba of quality control and product testing here @ Line 6. Many of you have voiced concerns your pleasure about the reliability of of your line 6 gear, i would like to focus specifically on The Pod Hd 500, DT 25/50 and/or L Series speaker and JTV Variax also known as "The Dream Rig". We continue to strive to make the absolute best gear....blah...blah...blah...and your concerns positive experiences are extremely important to me personally......."

Fair is fair. All sides of the spectrum can, and should, be heard. But I won't hold my breath to see the above either.

• Upvote 1

Yes, that would be nice. And, given the range of expressions here, what about this too:

"Hello, my name is Linus Six, I am the grand pooba of quality control and product testing here @ Line 6. Many of you have voiced concerns your pleasure about the reliability of of your line 6 gear, i would like to focus specifically on The Pod Hd 500, DT 25/50 and/or L Series speaker and JTV Variax also known as "The Dream Rig". We continue to strive to make the absolute best gear....blah...blah...blah...and your concerns positive experiences are extremely important to me personally......."

Fair is fair. All sides of the spectrum can, and should, be heard. But I won't hold my breath to see the above either.

That is fair!

Line 6 recognized the transformer issue on the DT's. They made it right for those customers with bad transformers. Line 6 recognized the rattle that many of their L series speakers had. They made it right for those customers as well. I think that Line 6 should look into the reliability issue just as they looked into the transformer and the rattle. There are thousands of Line 6 users who experience no issues at all. I truly wish I were one of them cause I really like the gear!

Kind of reminds me of the 1977 Ford Pinto. Over 3 million Pintos sold to many happy customers who never experienced a problem. The very few who had their junk explode in rear end collisions, I feel, deserved Fords attention, research & explanation. Just because those of us who are experiencing issues with our brand new gear/Pinto are in the minority of users, does not mean that our issues don't deserve attention research & explanation. 

Line 6 has the pulpit to put these concerns/pleasures into proper perspective. 

I guess they're just busy.

... Just because those of us who are experiencing issues with our brand new gear/Pinto are in the minority of users, does not mean that our issues don't deserve attention research & explanation. 

I agree.

What I'm not clear about is what exactly is your issue? In this thread, it seemed that you wanted reassurance about 'issues' that others have had, when those issues may be nothing more than personal preference for analogue gear over digital gear. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that preference; but it doesn't imply that there's something wrong with the digital gear.

If you do have a specific issue, are you working on it with Line 6? Is there something I/we might be able to do to help?

I guess the "issue" I am speaking of is the general reliability of the Dream Rig. I was responding to Chuckewheat earlier in this post who said "I found mine to be totally unreliable in a live performance situation and switched back to my old gear."

I too have had reliability issues. For example, showing up to a gig and having the rig not work. Everything works at sound check and then dead at performance time and then fine again when I got home. Bad transformers were shipped in a certain range of amps, speakers are shipped with horrible rattles.

When I purchase the top of the line stuff, I don't think it is too much to expect that the gear will work every single time especially within the first year of ownership.  

I purchased a $4000 Mac Book Pro. Totally top of the line. I have NEVER had one single issue. As a matter of fact, I can call them and have a tech sit with me on the phone and walk me through Logic Pro X at no charge, as often as I want. That is not special. It is what is supposed to happen when you purchase top of the line stuff.

I purchased a brand new l2m speaker and immediately had to send it back to be repaired. My Dt 50 had to be immediately sent back for repairs.

I am a fan of this gear and have no problem with it being digital. So long as it sounds good which it does when it works. I am a fan of the concept, and when everything is up and running, firing on all cylinders, everyone in the band says, "Wow! Your guitar sounds AMAZING!"  Showing up to a gig and having it not work is completely unacceptable and embarrassing. 

I am not the only one who has experienced this and we are not all crazed Line 6 hater malcontents. I think that quality control and reliability are real issues with this gear and as for me, knowing that the minority of us are being heard, considered, acknowledged and that steps are being taken to address this real issue would really calm MY nerves. But that's just me!

Once I get my l2m back and it proves to work, I'd like to purchase an l2t but the though of potentially having to send it back for some issue out of the box or to have it not work at a gig when I really need it for that acoustic part is hard to swallow. 

I hope that makes sense. I really do love my setup (with noted caveats). I want the whole Dream Rig. I want to complete my DT50 2X12 with a L2M handling electric guitar and the L2T handling  my acoustic work. Then I want a DT25 for smaller gigs. I want the whole Stagesource PA system.  I'm ready to purchase NOW! But I won't at this point cause so far not so good as far as reliability is concerned.

• Upvote 2

That does indeed make sense. I can see why you would appreciate some nerve-calming. I really do hope that you reach the point where you have a fully reliable Stagesource system.

Baby steps my friend! Let's first start with a fully reliable DT50/L2M/HD500/JTV69. Only then will I consider a Stagesource. I have faith that it will happen! And I can't wait!

For clarification, the disappointment that I express in this forum about this rigs reliability is a direct reflection of the pure ecstasy I get when the rig is bangin'! My JTV-69 is beautiful! It plays better than some of my most expensive guitars, I've got the guitar models set up just right. It trips my other guitarist out (who is a total line 6 hater) that I hit one switch on my HD and BOOM! Baritone guitar with undetectable latency if you play it right! I've put in the time to get the amp models and FX  just right. Then I added the L2M and WOW! Blending in acoustic guitar with a rotary drum on the acoustic side.....? I mean WOW! Amazing! 

....Then I turn it up at rehearsal and the L2M rattle kicks in (and I just got it! Brand New!) or the rig reboots in the middle of a song or the DT has no output. My ecstasy quickly turns into exasperation. I sit and stare at this beautiful new gear (and it all looks pretty badassed) that works intermittently...Then I run to the computer to whine to you all. My partners in gear! 

I'm not a hater! I truly am a lover of this rig. It will happen for me! It will work out! 

Thinking about this topic, there are a few points worth mentioning:

1.  Not everyone hears, or perceives, things the same way.  Some of us are more discriminating than others.  If you aren't getting the tonal quality you like out of the "Dream Rig" then it probably is not for you.  Like Chuckie, I hope you find the gear combination that satisfies your ears and soul.

2.  Electronics gear often comes off of the line with defects that are not exposed during the manufacturing, or even the quality control process.  Sometimes it takes a bit of time and "burn in" for these defects to begin to show up.  That's why Line 6 provides a warranty period, during which time, the device can be repaired or replaced at no cost.  Advice:  During break-in periods (and even after), have a backup plan (see #5 below)

3.  In my opinion, the JT Variax as well as the HD500/x are consumer grade gear, but fun and versatile.  The guitars aren't even a pale shadow of something like a Les Paul Custom Shop.  The HD500/x's are a bucket full of compromises, and at heart are computers, that will most likely die, or become obsolete in time.  It can also be argued that the POD will not match the sound quality of a well crafted, expensive, tube amp, or even higher end modelers, such as those from Kemper, or Fractal Audio.  The HD PODS are also A LOT less expensive than the others I've mentioned.  If you've got expensive ears, and a wallet that can indulge them, by all means, go for it! :)

4.  The DT Amps, to me, are the high point of the "Dream Rig" in terms of sound, versatility, and quality.  However, being high voltage electronics devices, they can be susceptible to heat, electronics failure, and tube wear.   These can sometimes fail as well during a performance, as can almost any amp.

5.  I only play out with my rig about once a month, and I have had no failures in the last couple of years of gigging with it.  That said, I always have a fallback if one of the elements fails.  For my JT59, I can fall back to the mags.  For the HD500, I can plug my guitar directly into my DT25.  For the DT25, I can plug my HD500 directly into the PA system.  I keep a set of "Pre" tones for using my DT25, and a set of "Normal" tones for going PA direct.  Is this ideal? No, but it will get me through the show.  If your performance demands that you have full replacement ability and exact tones for every song during a show, then bring replacements for everything. I would find it hard to believe that high paid professionals don't bring backup gear "just in case"

By the way, I'm not making these points as a "Line 6 Expert,"  but as a regular guy who likes to play, enjoys the flexibility that the "Dream Rig" offers, and finds the tones to be easily good enough to sit nicely in the band's mix.  My $.02 USD

Cheers,

Big Chas

The Chuckewheat agrees with the Big Chas......Thanks Brother!

Believe me we travel with back-up gear and an equipment tech at all times.

No sense posting a demo video of the PRS Archon for John though...it's FULL of tubes and stuff, 5 seperate gain channels alone,

and it would still be hooked up to my antique "ol pedal board" anyway.

I would also like to bring up the fact that we can fix our "old stuff" ourselves, but all of the Line6 gear had to be returned for repair

and or replacement that seemed to take forever.Poor parts availability on the road. That time lag wasn't something that works for us and you can't use it while it's at the repair shop!

I only had my 59, for a little over a year and as I said, it bricked updating, the updates sucked,string volume issues, poor palm muting and not quite the finger picking responce I need, the models started popping, it went all wookie and had to be reflashed 3 or 4 times, the 3 way switch quit and I thought the frets where to high to what I was used to. The amp was the highlight, but not better than what I already had.

My opinion was that the gear was just average at best and not of the quality that we have the luxury of having and playing as a band.

If you like it, PLAY it! If you don't play it, get rid of it!

If yer happy with a Dream Rig...GREAT! It just didn't turn out to be my rig.

But also notice what the greats play......The Real Deal.

Oh Yeah, and analog pedal boards.

Play Loud, Play Proud,

Bluesbreakers

• Upvote 1

But also notice what the greats play......The Real Deal.

Charlie Christiansen played through a Gibson EH 150. So did every other guitarist shortly after. They considered it "The Real Deal"

Years later Wes Montgomery played through a Standel Super Custom. A solid state amp. Also Considered "The Real Deal"

Check this out.... http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/amp-central-station/146447d1349321224t-holy-cow-fender-george-bensen-signature-hot-rod-dlx-george-benson-guild-guitar-amp-jpg

How do you define "Real Deal"? The first Van Halen album was recorded with a guitar that was called Frankenstein. It never stayed in tune, It was a horrible guitar according to Eddie. Dare I say that was the "Real Deal"!

I think Line 6 is offering The Real Deal. They just need to make it reliable.

Anything that tries to be everything all at the same time is just a copy of the orignal models or guitars that it is trying to mimic. The "Real Deal" would be an orignal of one of those having been handmade by craftsmen, not a computer program that strives to reproduce them. Bo Diddley's handmade shoebox axe is the "Real Deal". Is it the best guitar ever made? No! The Variax will NOT give one the different feel of each indivual guitar...Neck, wood, weight, set-up, fingerboard, fret action, scale length or any of the variations that exist between them. I enjoy the different feel that I get when I pick up my Tele or Strat or LP or Casino, or Taylor acoustic.

Also, I"ve never had a "Real Deal" guitar blow up a bunch of computer parts or have so many glitches.

A string, a switch or pot, but never total failure. Easy fixes.

I'm sure that you know what I meant, but I hope your dream rig doesn't let you down anymore than what it already has according to your posts.

I've said my piece, I support all my fellow musicans out there, no matter what you play or use as your favorite rig. I don't care if it's a comb wrapped in wax paper for a harmonica. Heck, I watched a guy with no arms play a guitar with his feet once.

Let's all get together, jam and have a cold one.

I'm going to the beach............................

Chuckie

• Upvote 1

I enjoy the different feel that I get when I select up the T-model or Spank or Lester or Casino, or acoustic model on my 69s, or banjo and sitar and tricone...and...and...i forget all the other models, they r 60 'n i cannot memorize them by heart, due to ram limitations

i also like the astonishment look on the sound guys when i change tunings on the fly or use dual guitar stereo sounds; "what the lollipop is going on here?" , they r wandering; "how the heck is this happening with only one instrument? Is this guitar magic?"

and if my 69s blows up a bunch of computer parts or has so many glitches, i do not worry, i still got the blues eee i mean mags....

happy jamming everyone! :)

• Upvote 1

jandrio, on 15 Jul 2014 - 02:33 AM, said:

I enjoy the different feel that I get when I select up the T-model or Spank or Lester or Casino, or acoustic model on my 69s, or banjo and sitar and tricone...and...and...i forget all the other models, they r 60 'n i cannot memorize them by heart, due to ram limitations

i also like the astonishment look on the sound guys when i change tunings on the fly or use dual guitar stereo sounds; "what the lollipop is going on here?" , they r wandering; "how the heck is this happening with only one instrument? Is this guitar magic?"

and if my 69s blows up a bunch of computer parts or has so many glitches, i do not worry, i still got the blues eee i mean mags....

happy jamming everyone! :)

Can I have that '72 strat that yer not gonna use anymore?????

I'll bet that it sounds better than your 69 on the mags.

You can just make up another make pretend one on your computer.

The whole system that you tout so proudly only tries to copy the sound of the guitars, amps or effects that were produced by the orignals of each of those items. The Variax doesn't do anything orignal by its self , alt tuning on the fly exception here, other than combine all of those into one unit that is computer controlled.The  AC30 amp sound isn't created by any Line6 product, or any other amp setting, none of the guitar models are different from the originals,nor are any of the effects that you use. Yes, you can craft a different set-up in Workshop, but that still is a copy of what would have been hard built in the day.If the orignals weren't great you wouldn't be trying to reproduce them. You'd be inventing something new never been done before. Also piling on the effects doesn't make one a better guitar player. Stick to the meat and potatoes and really play dual leads, makes a better show, unless you play alone?? And if you like the acoustic models??? You need your hearing checked.

The benefit of having everything all in one, Swiss Army Knife, is generally over ridden by the weakest link cascading failure syndrome.

Never the less, If your a techno head, you can play around and entertain yerself forever with this gear, and it's great for that.

I think it tries to do too much and is overloaded with S**T that most people will never use and that it just gets WAY to compilcated for the average user.

The main difference in opinions seems to be either those that like high tech gagets,and fiddling with them, or Old School Players who have found their set-ups and music genre's and are comfortable in where their at. We don't need to try and sound like ten different bands, or have every effect known to man to play a show. Who has the talent???? You? or your IBM?...

Givin' you a + John cause you seem like a knowledgable guy and I like blabing with ya. We're gigging several private parties and are kickin' it on the coast and traveling for the next week. HOT here in California, so the ocean is nice. Trip ends in Washington at a big winery...so life is GREAT.

Still will adopt that Strat for 'ya though

if you throw in that Fender Prosonic Combo!!!

Regards to All,

C. W.

• Upvote 2

Preach it Chuckie! Strong words my man!

When I asked the question about defining the "Real Deal", as you put it, I think a more accurate communication would be to say that what may be the Real Deal one minute could end up being old hat the next. Tape echoes were the real deal until digital delays came around. Internal combustion engines were the real deal and now Tesla is challenging that notion. Reel to reel recording... Real Deal, now theres Pro Tools. A Les Paul is the real deal and the only reason that PRS guitars look the way they look now and not like the Les Paul that he copied is because Gibson sued him and won! Now I would bet that many people consider PRS guitars 'The Real Deal"

Technology is alway changing. I applaud Line 6 for attempting to stay current, to keep pushing. That clearly is not without some serious bumps in the road that one could argue they should have been able to prevent or at the very least make right immediately. (seriously, shipping L series speakers with a known rattle?, having amps with bad transformers? again, unacceptable!) I'm just not so sure I would be so quick to write them off or the gear off as unoriginal copies of the great stuff. If the goal is to be completely and totally original with no link to anything that ever existed, then I'm sure I will never hear you play a pentatonic scale. That would be a poor copy of every guitarist ever! You also risk sounding like that old crotchety dude who is not interested in riding around in that new fangled horseless carriage. Remember, the old school that you and I relish was at one time the new junk that the old timers swore up and down would go no where! Think about the origins of Rock-N-Roll and you'll know what I'm talking about.

All of the models and the literature about the models is always "..Based On...". No one ever said hit this button and your amp is now a Fender Twin and your guitar is now a Gretsch. I think my rig does a fantastic job of capturing the essence and spirit of the amp that is being modeled. Does it sound exactly like So and so's Plexi? No. But I have a Plexi and it doesn't sound like So and so's Plexi and they were made in the same year! And by the way, I tweaked WAAAAAY more with my Real Deal amp than I do with my Dream Rig. Or at least now that I know how to use my Dream rig. Once you are past the learning curve, it's pretty simple. Then again, I spend ZERO time trying to sound like someone else. I want to sound like me and I've pretty much got that down.

"…..And if you like the acoustic models??? You need your hearing checked." Again C.W., Strong words. I'll keep everyone posted on the results of my hearing test.

I've got really expensive boutique amps. Most of them all tubes. I could name drop for 3 more paragraphs and have amps left over. They are all fantastic! and they all do what they do really well. Though I wished my Two Rock cleaned up like my JC-120, I wish my 3 Power had more meat in the mid range and I wish my Super Sonic had more grit, I wish my Boogie had more bottom and so on. With  one rig I can get almost anything I need to convey the emotion of a song or passage. From sparkling cleans to true grit soaring leads to Metheny space texture! Or I could just bring all my amps.

I'm not concerned about what amp they are telling me is being modeled. They should get away from naming the models. It would get rid of the "It doesn't sound like a Marshall to me" crowd.  What I care about is the sound, tone, color, the texture that is coming out of my amp and me likes so far what I hear. Though you did tell me that I might need to have my hearing checked so I might not be such a reliable witness. 

My Hughes & Kettner combo rocks! But it is no where near as versatile as my HD/DT50. I can't say that the real deal sounds better. I can say that my rig with me playing it sounds really f'ing good! My guitarist has a fancy pants real deal amp and Fx set up. It takes him forever to get his sound together, to get it all plugged in, to find the shorted cable, to replace battery to fiddle with the knobs cause you can't save your settings and so on. The one and only thing that he has is that once his stuff is dialed in…...

HE NEVER HAS IS JUNK REBOOT IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS FRICKIN' SOLO!!!!!!

I'm with ya C.W.! So far, The Dream Rig has proven to be a bit unreliable. Time will tell if I can report otherwise. As for the sound, the sonic capabilities, the color, the meat? Hey man, what do you want from me? Apparently, I can't even hear!!! :P

• Upvote 3

T-Bone!!!!

You got me Brother! I laughed so hard I had to go change me pants.

Maybe we will get a chance to set down and chop some heads somewhere sometime...I'd like that!

Why be OLD & Experianced without an opinion????

One bandmate calls the new stuff "Witchcraft"....

At least I'm not that bad.

It is really too bad about your ears though... :huh:

Can you hear me now????? :D

Have Fun,

C.W.

• Upvote 3

....The whole system that you tout so proudly only tries to copy the sound of the guitars, amps or effects that were produced by the orignals of each of those items. The Variax doesn't do anything orignal by its self , alt tuning on the fly exception here, other than combine all of those into one unit that is computer controlled....

yes, the system simulates the sound of the guitars, amps or effects that were produced by the orignals of each of those items and the jtv combines all of those in2 one unit that is computer controlled.

so what? who cares?

what really matters is the sound delivered 2 the audience; 'n this sound is really great!

btw,

i forgot in my previous post 2 mention the typical conversation after each live:

they ask me: "is this a real deal guitar?".

i say "no it is not".

they ask: "is it a magic guitar then?".

i say: "no it is not".

then they ask: "what the f-cking lollipop is it then?"

'n i say: "this is a jtv".

rgds/john :)

ps

+2 2 n old school player 4 still blabing with us ...high tech gagets...

• Upvote 1

Here's the deal.... If you're good, you're going to be good no matter what you play. Cracks me up to hear theses dudes explain to me why they paid $3000 for this American made Strat and another $6000 for their amp. They got all the specs and the history and the neck radius and the tube biasing and the speaker cone size and shape and the splitting of this and the tapping of that and they STILL SUCK! But will turn their nose up at my DT50 knowing NOTHING about it other than it is made by Line 6. They can't get out of their own way! I've never been one for false modesty, so I will tell you right now that I can play circles around a lot of these "real deal" guitar players with my Korean made Variax, and my Chinese made DT50/HD500. (When it turns on and stays on and doesn't reboot in the middle of the set)

I'll put my (working) rig up against anybodys and it is going to sound DYN-O-MITE mostly for the simple fact that I'm playing it! The gear doesn't make me sound good...I make the gear sound good! Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout!....

can a brother get an Amen!

DAMN that felt good! I need a cigarette...

• Upvote 3

Here's the deal.... If you're good, you're going to be good no matter what you play. Cracks me up to hear theses dudes explain to me why they paid $3000 for this American made Strat and another $6000 for their amp. They got all the specs and the history and the neck radius and the tube biasing and the speaker cone size and shape and the splitting of this and the tapping of that and they STILL SUCK! But will turn their nose up at my DT50 knowing NOTHING about it other than it is made by Line 6. They can't get out of their own way! I've never been one for false modesty, so I will tell you right now that I can play circles around a lot of these "real deal" guitar players with my Korean made Variax, and my Chinese made DT50/HD500. (When it turns on and stays on and doesn't reboot in the middle of the set)

I'll put my (working) rig up against anybodys and it is going to sound DYN-O-MITE mostly for the simple fact that I'm playing it! The gear doesn't make me sound good...I make the gear sound good! Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout!....

can a brother get an Amen!

DAMN that felt good! I need a cigarette...

AMEN!

• Upvote 2

Huh?

Hehehehehe! :P

Anytime you come through the Sonoma wine country, let me know!!!!

We just left there after 2 gigs at private parties for the "Rich & Famous".

That's pretty much what we do as we are a bunch of retired "old pro's" that vacation around in our motorhomes and hobnob with the financialy endowded. Somebody has to do it!!!!!!

Looks like we're back in late Oct. so I'll P.M. Yer A** and we will see if we can blow it up then.

Sounds like you might fit in with the boys. We'll keep the particulars private though.

Time to hit the Highway,

C.W.

• Upvote 2

We just left there after 2 gigs at private parties for the "Rich & Famous".

That's pretty much what we do as we are a bunch of retired "old pro's" that vacation around in our motorhomes and hobnob with the financialy endowded. Somebody has to do it!!!!!!

Looks like we're back in late Oct. so I'll P.M. Yer A** and we will see if we can blow it up then.

Sounds like you might fit in with the boys. We'll keep the particulars private though.

Time to hit the Highway,

C.W.

Yepper! I know a joint that has an all pro jam session for a bunch of retired hippie millionaires. You know... The Odwalla millionaire set? We could blow it up!

I just read your signature!.....we definitely could hang!

Cheers my man!

• Upvote 1

jandrio, on 16 Jul 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

yes, the system simulates the sound of the guitars, amps or effects that were produced by the orignals of each of those items and the jtv combines all of those in2 one unit that is computer controlled.

so what? who cares?

what really matters is the sound delivered 2 the audience; 'n this sound is really great!

btw,

i forgot in my previous post 2 mention the typical conversation after each live:

they ask me: "is this a real deal guitar?".

i say "no it is not".

they ask: "is it a magic guitar then?".

i say: "no it is not".

then they ask: "what the f-cking lollipop is it then?"

'n i say: "this is a jtv".

rgds/john :)

ps

+2 2 n old school player 4 still blabing with us ...high tech gagets...

Hi John,

I wouldn't have even given it a try if I didn't think that it didn't have potential.

Thing is.....I got the "Sound of Silence" instead of "Double Trouble" one too many times.

Yer S**T don't sound like anything when it don't work. :angry:

Mine was "Magic" too. :blink:......It would do stuff you wouldn't believe.....so I made it vanish..... ;)

T-Bone has it right.....You make the gear sound good.......not the other way around.

Keep playing and having a good time, how you get there isn't important as you well know.

If you get the sound you need with what you have, then you have accomplished your first major goal.

The world would be boring if we all had identical tastes and opinions and played the same gear

'cause we'd all sound the same.

Good Talkin' with Ya'll

C.W. B)

• Upvote 1

That is fair!

Line 6 recognized the transformer issue on the DT's. They made it right for those customers with bad transformers. 

Hey, does anybody know the manufacture date/serial number range on this run of DT's? I have a DT25 that had to be sent back shortly after purchase due to bad tubes. Before the warranty runs out (next month!) I want to check against this transformer issue. 

Thanks much for everyone's input

Tboneous, on 16 Jul 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Yepper! I know a joint that has an all pro jam session for a bunch of retired hippie millionaires. You know... The Odwalla millionaire set? We could blow it up!

I just read your signature!.....we definitely could hang!

Cheers my man!

Exclusive circles my man!!!!!

Got you on my calender for Oct.

Everybody likes  their privacy, so keep it under yer hat!

You might not believe who you have a chance to meet.

I could name drop all day, but that just sounds cheap on-line.

Sounds to me like you already know the scene...so be cool...

I'll touch bases with 'ya then.

C.W.

• Upvote 1

Exclusive circles my man!!!!!

Got you on my calender for Oct.

Everybody likes  their privacy, so keep it under yer hat!

You might not believe who you have a chance to meet.

I could name drop all day, but that just sounds cheap on-line.

Sounds to me like you already know the scene...so be cool...

I'll touch bases with 'ya then.

C.W.

Yepper!

Hey, does anybody know the manufacture date/serial number range on this run of DT's? I have a DT25 that had to be sent back shortly after purchase due to bad tubes. Before the warranty runs out (next month!) I want to check against this transformer issue. 

Thanks much for everyone's input

Support ticket. They will give you the serial number range. I think you are good if you got it a year ago. 

Just a note to everybody here in the lounge,

As I don't have Line6 gear anymore, I'm gonna withdraw from posting on the forum any longer.

Everyone here has been more than gracious to let me have my opinion and say my piece.

I don't want to be the guy that just rags on stuff to be confrontational, or come off as a "Line6 Hater".

If it fits your needs and you like it, then by all means use it!

I personally just prefered different gear.

I don't harbour any ill feelings toward anyone for standing their ground and hope that I leave here with the same respect that I have for all of my fellow musicans.

Keep wackin' that axe....

Play every chance you get...

And for heaven's sake..........................................PRACTICE !!!!!!!

Later,

C.W.

Oct----T-Boner

have yer A game on B) 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tbone. This from Line 6

"The tech bulletin 059 for the bad transformers was only for the DT50 amplifiers.

All DT25's have good power transformers and do not need tech bulletin 059."

Thanks Tbone. This from Line 6

"The tech bulletin 059 for the bad transformers was only for the DT50 amplifiers.

All DT25's have good power transformers and do not need tech bulletin 059."

Bada-Bing!

Just a note to everybody here in the lounge,

As I don't have Line6 gear anymore, I'm gonna withdraw from posting on the forum any longer.

Everyone here has been more than gracious to let me have my opinion and say my piece.

I don't want to be the guy that just rags on stuff to be confrontational, or come off as a "Line6 Hater".

If it fits your needs and you like it, then by all means use it!

I personally just prefered different gear.

I don't harbour any ill feelings toward anyone for standing their ground and hope that I leave here with the same respect that I have for all of my fellow musicans.

Keep wackin' that axe....

Play every chance you get...

And for heaven's sake..........................................PRACTICE !!!!!!!

Later,

C.W.

Oct----T-Boner

have yer A game on B)

My man C.Dub! You have to come back here and give me the particulars of Oct. While yer here, I'll take the band out for a cold one @ Russian River Brewing Co. Some of the best beer on the planet! Looking forward to it! Come back every now and again and give me some +'s on the posts where I hold Line 6's feet to the fire to give us reliable gear, keep the Line 6 haters in check and keep the Line 6 Fanboys grounded! (this stuff ain't no Rolls Royce Fanboys, but it ain't no Gremlin either haters!) C.Dub, you are NOT a hater. There is a huge difference between a hater and someone who expresses a desire and preference for something different! My grandfather, an old Texas boy, used to say "If you got it like that, go get it!" he was talking about women, but I think it's appropriate here!

Last thing, I played a gig last night at a local festival. They had an incredible sound system set up. Huge board, monitors, subs, lights, the works. The stage sound was incredible which is difficult to achieve outside. My guitarist brought out his fender delux reverb and fancy amp stand with a built in fan, attenuator, pedal boardzilla on a fancy tilted pedalboard stand. I had a The Dream Rig. JTV, DT50 and HD500 (No L2M cause I had to ship that back 2 days after receiving it because of a rattle that Line 6 KNEW it had!...but I digress) . 2 cables, L6 and VDI. Guess who's junk pooped out?

I look down to my left and there he was scrambling around on his knees trying to figure out which was the bad cable between his fx. flipping on and off the amp with a pained panic look on his face as 2 songs came and went. All the while there I was with my cheap Chinese made crap, happily chugging along, excellent tone, without a care in the world. (actually that is not totally true. Whenever I use this junk, I keep a varing grade of angst)

AND...once he'd got his Sugar Honey Iced T together, his tone SUCKED,

I marked it on my calendar...July 18, 2014, Dream Rig performed as advertised!

Score one for me. FINALLY!

• Upvote 2

• 8 months later...

Just got a new PRS Archon amp...........WOW!

How are you liking the Archon? I was just looking at one of those in a store recently, really nice.. So tempting; I didn't play through it, I was worried it would give me too much GAS. Not playing through it has given me even more GAS though!! Which Archon model did you go with? I was looking at the 25 watt 1x12 I think, it's around $1300? Here is the amp I saw, looks so damn nice... I like the lower watt stuff, but would be nice to try the 25w next to the 50w.. I think the Archon 50 is switchable between 25 and 50 anyway.

The DT25 does that, but switching to low volume mode does that weird digital thing so I never really use it..

Would be nice to have a true tube rig at 13 watts...  This is the Archon combo I was looking at in Chicago

"is a little more forgiving than its 100 and 50 watt big brothers, and won’t break your back every time you load in for a gig."

This is actually so true too; I tweaked my back loading my DT25 in my car a few weeks back, and now that I am 41, it took me two weeks and three visits to the chiropractor to set things right again!! Proper tube tone is essential, but unless you can afford to pay people to move your heavy gear for you, a lighter weight killer sounding 25 watter is a life saver on the back. Even at that, be careful when ya lift them! I made the mistake of lifting the DT25 towards my left to get into the back seat with it, and pulled weight across my body, and that is what tweaked out my back. Lift straight ahead, and bend those knees...