Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

spider jam shut down

bgarrettcpa

I just received a used spider jam amp and it has starting shutting off while I am playing it. It still has power lights but nothing on the display. Turning it off does nothing but unplugging it will reset and all will be fine. But really a pain when you are in the middle of a solo or something. Anyone else had this problem with any resolutions.

Bruce

Mine did that a few times I don't remember doing anything about it and I haven't had the issue in a very long time, just last week I used it for 5 hours straight with no problem. If you keep having issues I would say reflash it.

Mine has been working fine but just today started doing the shut down and has done it three times today. What do you mean reflash (refresh?).

Reflash, meaning reinstall the firmware for it. You will need no larger than a 2 gb sd card so you can format it in the Spider Jam and then download the current firmware, save it to the card and then reinstall it.

Here's a link to the below:

Click the above link and read the whole page so understand thouroughly.

Instructions for updating (also attached):

1. If you haven't done so already, download the latest firmware to your computer desktop from the Line 6 website (log in with your Line 6 User Name) here: Spider Jam 2.09 Firmware.

The downloaded file will be named "fw.bin", with no number. Please save this to your desktop to easily find the file once the file has been downloaded.

Note: You will need to delete any previous Spider Jam updates from your desktop prior to saving the Spider Jam 2.09 firmware, as the both devices will not recognize any firmware with an extension or name alterations.

2. Copy the downloaded fw.bin file to a blank SD card via an SD card reader. When the copy is complete, put the downloaded fw.bin file in a safe place on your PC for future reference -- for example, put it in a new folder labeled 'Spider Jam Flash', noting the version number.

3. Insert your SD card into the Spider Jam SD card slot.

Note: Spider Jam owners running v1.04 should press and hold the SAVE button while powering up the Spider Jam (release SAVE after Spider Jam powers up from the SD card).

4. Press the SAVE button to display the menu items in the LCD if they aren't already displayed.

5. Turn the wheel and navigate to FIRMWARE UPGRADE at the bottom of the menu list then press Right Arrow to display the upgrade screen.

6. Press Up Arrow for YES to proceed with the update -- the Spider Jam or JM4 Looper will update itself from the SD Card. When the update is complete, the Spider Jam will power cycle itself.

Note: Do not turn off power in the middle of the update!

7. Verify the update was successful by previewing a few Songs and Drum tracks (scroll thru the list; each track will play for a few seconds when you select it).

8. After verifying the update was successful, press the SAVE button again to display the menu list.

9. Turn the wheel and navigate to FORMAT CARD then press Right Arrow to display the format screen.

10. Press Up Arrow for YES and the Spider Jam/JM4 Looper will format the SD Card, preparing it for normal operation.

11. When formatting is complete, you're all set. If you ever want to reinstall your firmware, go back to your computer and copy the 'fw.bin' file to your SD Card, then repeat the above steps from Step 2.

12. If you want to load your backed up .WAV files into your Spider Jam again, simply copy them from your computer into the "LINE6" folder on your SD card using your SD card reader, then load them into your Spider Jam using the IMPORT WAV FILE FROM CARD command (consult the Spider Jam Advanced Guide for info on the option of viewing and loading your files via the SD Recordings Browser). If there is no LINE6 folder on the SD Card root directory, please create one.

Format Alert: If your SD Card is rejected by the Spider Jam as not being FAT16, you should format your card and start over. See Format Instructions below. (Also attached)

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate your time.

Bruce

Your Welcome Bruce, I hope you get it working so you can use it. I don't use my Spider Jam all the time so when it's sitting I unplug it. When I do use it I run the headphones jack into the "Line In" on my X3 Pro or "Aux In" on an HD500 or just play it right next to me between 4 and 6 on the master and tune the volume and drive to my liking add a little reverb and some delay. When I cank this up it really sounds great. I monitor alot with headphones too, keeps the noise down most of the time.

unfortunately I just talked with line 6 tech support and they said it sounds like a hardware issue that will not be fixed with a reset. He also said normally these issues will only get worse not go away. I guess this is what I get for buying used.

• 3 years later...