Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L3T power rating - estimated RMS?

In what sense are you wanting to match up some speakers with your L3T?

To be honest, very few published metrics from suppliers/manufacturers can be used to directly compare speaker A to speaker B except when they are from the same manufacturer.

Even then, RMS and Peak power have little real world meaning, being mostly arbitrary figures.

SPL is about as close to a comparison as you could hope to get but even then, as mentioned in a recent post, it's not as easy as saying manufacturer A quotes 130db and manufacturer B quotes 131db as the figure depends upon how it was measured.

The only way to really match speakers is to A/B test them with all factors aside from the speaker equal, ie take a music source and set the input gain of both speakers to the 0db mark and run the source into both.

The power of all amps combined is 1400W peak/ 700W RMS.

http://line6.com/dat...h ( Rev A ).pdf

The power spec is one thing. It could be more useful to look at the maximum dBSPL @ 1m which tells you how loud the speaker can get. For the L3's it is 132 dBSPL measured. Most manufacturers spec a calculated dBSPL value which is a theoretical value that disregards limiters etc. Our 132 dBSPL is actually measured in a real life situation.

Awesome thanks for the reply. My church has a few different speakers that are not easily accessible so I wanted to get a good idea of which ones would go best with the l3t as far as volume matching. The dbspl seems like the more logical approach. Thanks again guys big help.

Awesome thanks for the reply. My church has a few different speakers that are not easily accessible so I wanted to get a good idea of which ones would go best with the l3t as far as volume matching. The dbspl seems like the more logical approach. Thanks again guys big help.

Power and volume (SPL) are not necessarily related at all, as many other variables come into play. One of these is the efficiency (sensitivity) of the driver units. With high efficiency drivers you can obtain very high sound pressure levels from quite low wattage amplifiers - many of the older design tube hi-fi's and guitar amps made use of such drivers to obtain very adequate volume from amplifiers of of 20W and lower...in fact, may years ago I had some old Tannoy brand speakers that were capable of quite amazing SPL's on only 10W per channel.  As amplifiers have changed, from requiring bulky, heavy transformers and low efficiency heat-generating tubes, through Class A and Class B solid-state, to the very high efficency Class D modules avalable now, the need to design super-efficient, very sensitive loudspeakers has diminished. Instead of concentrating on producing the maximum volume from the minimum input, designers can now focus on other aspects of performance such as linearity, impedance variation, THD, etc.