Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Whats Better? Amplifi 150 or... FX100 with an LT3

mmotta

Hey there,

I am curious what you all think would be a better set up when playing live...

An Amplifi 150

or

An fx100 with one of the stagesource speakers....

to my understanding there is no way to connect the Amplifi to the Stagesource set up.. :( with out miking it at least. and obviously without using the headphone out.

For playing live? Spend the extra $200 over the FX100 and get an HD500x. Way, way, way more options to route sound out of it. Just my opinion, based on not having any AMPLiFi related gear. I've got an HD500, a DT25, and a pair of L2t's.

Here's a thread actually comparing those two:

Pod HD vs. Amplifi FX100

http://line6.com/support/topic/6960-pod-hd-vs-amplifi-fx100/

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think it depends what you are trying to do. An HD500x into any of the Line 6 Stagesource systems has the most versatility/controllability.  But that being said (I have not used the FX100 but have been using an HD500x direct into a PA for quite some time.  I have also recorded two albums direct from the floor board)  the HD500x has frustrated some users with not being able to dial in a good sound quickly (At least "quickly" to their tastes) so that unit may be overkill for what you are trying to do.

• 4 months later...

I do wonder why there isn't a DI out on the Amplifi. You can get all the tones you dreamt of but who wants to go back to using a mic to get sound into the FoH? I guess you could use the floor version but then you're relying on a really good monitor mix.

Was it designed just for bedroom use as a local dealer told me recently. He described it as a toy for students in bedsits!! Guess he had a downer on Line 6 anyway as he also said that the Variax wasn't reliable. I've been using them since they first arrived and they've been great. You just have to do a little tweaking, but I've had Gibsons and Fenders and they needed tweaking as well.

I do wonder why there isn't a DI out on the Amplifi. You can get all the tones you dreamt of but who wants to go back to using a mic to get sound into the FoH? I guess you could use the floor version but then you're relying on a really good monitor mix.

Was it designed just for bedroom use as a local dealer told me recently. He described it as a toy for students in bedsits!! Guess he had a downer on Line 6 anyway as he also said that the Variax wasn't reliable. I've been using them since they first arrived and they've been great. You just have to do a little tweaking, but I've had Gibsons and Fenders and they needed tweaking as well.

You can always mic the 150 if you want to. It sounds fine that way.

As far as your dealer, I've never understood why someone would badmouth a product line they sell. I've always thought that having a product to sell in your store is something of an endorsement of that product. As far the Amplifi being a "toy for students in bedsits", I'd say that Line 6 has been pretty forthright in advertising the Amplifi line as a more practice-oriented product for home or home studio. But it doesn't mean it couldn't be used live.

All this talk of "bedroom players" reminds me of a poll I saw over at The Gear Page site. It's an internet poll, so it's not scientific or anything, but of the people who responded to a question about how many of them have ever played a gig, 75-80% of the people who responded had never played one gig in their life. So I guess what I'm getting at is that regardless of what the actual percentage is, there is a large contingency of players out there who do most or all of their playing at home, and if you're a company that makes guitar gear, it makes sense to make some products that are aimed at that demographic.

I've got to be honest I love my Line 6 gear and I was quoting the the dealer in question who went down in my estimation when he started the badmouthing. I have played in bands and been gigging since I was 13 and am now 57!! I would still use an Amplifi rather than my Spider Valve 2 if it had a DI out. The reason simply being that it's a hell of a lot lighter and I'm not getting any younger :) Plus I think it's a brilliant concept but I just don't want to go back to a mic in front of the cab. As far as I know Amplifi is selling in high volume so it's obviously gone down well with end users generally and you can't argue with the price point.

Long may Line6 innovate.

I have the Amplifi75 and HD500x.   The Amplify lives in my living room and acts as a jam/practise amp as well as a general purpose bluetooth speaker and I gig with the HD500....

I would have no hesitation in bringing the amplifi to a little jam. It sounds great and is loud enough. (the 150 would be better)

But as mentioned above.. it really depends on what you plan on using it for and budget?

If you are doing a bit of gigging, would like on stage monitoring and a DI to FOH I would recommend HD floorboard and a L2m -  a light versatile rig. you can actually pick up hd300's and Hd400's for peanuts these days if there are budget constraints. This gets you the HD modelling over the X3 modelling which the Amplifi has.

As far as your dealer, I've never understood why someone would badmouth a product line they sell.

Because your average gear-jockey over at Fantabulous Huge-o-rific Music Emporium doesn't give a damn, and generally has the IQ of a walnut. I once had such a cretin tell me...loudly and derisively...that the item I was looking for (which happened to be within arm's reach) "Uh, that doesn't exist bro...(insert eye-rolling here)". Haven't spent a dime in any of those places in about 15 years.

Because your average gear-jockey over at Fantabulous Huge-o-rific Music Emporium doesn't give a damn, and generally has the IQ of a walnut. I once had such a cretin tell me...loudly and derisively...that the item I was looking for (which happened to be within arm's reach) "Uh, that doesn't exist bro...(insert eye-rolling here)". Haven't spent a dime in any of those places in about 15 years.

I hear ya.....annoys the woooza out of me

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using various modelers direct to FOH and my FRFR for years.  I just ordered the FX100 for this purpose, I like the workflow and control of using my Android phone instead of the typical small device screen and menus which my other gear has (and using the PC/Mac apps for these is great at home but does not help if you are at practice or at a gig!).  I have an FRFR rig so the 75 or 150 is overkill for me, and I really don't want to go back to micing an amp, did that for years with my tube and rack rigs back in the day.  Would be nice if the FX100 had an XLR out.

I've been using various modelers direct to FOH and my FRFR for years.  I just ordered the FX100 for this purpose, I like the workflow and control of using my Android phone instead of the typical small device screen and menus which my other gear has (and using the PC/Mac apps for these is great at home but does not help if you are at practice or at a gig!).  I have an FRFR rig so the 75 or 150 is overkill for me, and I really don't want to go back to micing an amp, did that for years with my tube and rack rigs back in the day.  Would be nice if the FX100 had an XLR out.