Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using the L3t with a non Line 6 Sub? and HD500 l6link to L3t ?

Before I purchased my L3t I asked about changing crossover point and they said it could be done. BUT I see now that its all done on the line 6 SUB and not the l3t.   So my question is how do i change the cross over in the L3t when using a different sub? Originally I was going to get the EV ZLX speakers, they have the crossover option in there built in dsp.

ARGH!

Im also trying to hook up my HD500 with l6link to the l3t and it does nothing. I have tried a few different cables but nothing. Any Ideas?

thanks for any help,

Without using an L3s, here are the built-in crossover frequencies from the L3t tech specs. You will have to consult the specs further to determine the mode-specific crossovers.

Crossover Frequencies:

LF1 Lowâ€pass †250 Hz
LF2 to HF Crossover †variable, 2.2 kHz to 7.0 kHz (Speaker Mode dependent)

Thats not what I mean. There are 3 crossover point for when you are connecting a Sub to your system like 80 100 and 120. that way you mains arnt putting out the low end also. But, I don't see any buttons that would let me adjust that on the L3t.  thanks though.

The active subs usually have a crossover.

You'll usually need to run the signal out of your mixer into your active sub first - that will handle the crossover - and the thru signal to the L3t (or other speakers) will not have the low end, as the active sub that you used will filter those low frequencies out...

A very flexible way to do it is to use a DBX Driverack. That allows you to feed the subs separately, and set a chosen X-over frequency and even filter type (Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley) with adjustable slopes. The non-sub outputs feed the main speakers. Their internal X-overs then handle the mids and hf distribution. The Driveracks also include their own parametric EQ, limiter and other functions. Even with a digital desk available, they are still very useful if you need to configure non-matching speaker systems. You can certainly do it by running the signal through the sub then out to mains, but in most cases, you will not have anywhere near the level of control than you can get using a separate electronic crossover.

I here you, But I guess I assumed since I asked them if the speakers had an adjustable crossover point built in that it would have one in it as do many speakers now with built in DSPs.  Originally I was looking at the EV ZLX speakers that do have that feature. But With the information I was given I went with Line 6. they can't expect everyone to use there Subs so leaving out that feature?? i don't get it.  I do love all my Line 6 equipment but now its not about simplifying its about adding another piece to make it work right. argh!

What will make it work out for you is: The non-Line 6 powered sub should have a crossover built in that passes only the "higher than bass" frequencies on to the l3t mains.

You would connect in this order:

Mixer -> Powered sub -> l3t

I have 1 sub NOT Line 6.  when I called about the L3t I was told there was adjustable crossover point so i when with that instead of getting 2 EV ZLX 15p which for me sounded pretty good and they have a nice DSP in them with the ability to tell it that there is a sub connected and where to cross it over.. I get how to hook them up.

I have a peavey 118 powered . I believe it crosses over at 120htz and it probably has a passthrough but I'm not going to do that to just one side. I realize there are things i can di to make it work. I'm just a bit disappointed they would not have something built in these L3t/m as i was told. I'm sure it was a misunderstanding.

Ill end up having to do it all with EQ and filters with my Behringer x32rack

Randy

You are not understanding the difference between a crossover and bandpass filters. When you use Line6 speakers together the "system"is automatic. And while you certainly can pair a Line 6 top with other brands of speakers, you need to assume the responsibility of connecting it up. You are reinventing the wheel at this point. You'll need to construct filters and balance out polarity. You cant simply assume that it will be correct.

A good spec powered sub will typically have 2 inputs, each with a passthru/hpf output.

So you run your main signals to the single sub first, L into one input and R into the second then each output to the correct L3. The sub sets the crossover according to what it wants.

If your sub only has one input, you can only run in mono IF you want the sub to provide crossover. To be honest, I'm not sure why running just one through the sub would be so bad. Even if the bottom end is stripped out of one L3's signal, assuming the sub is on that side of stage, the extra bass performance from the straight fed L3 is hardly going to off balance your performance area. We're talking about sub harmonic frequencies which you don't specifically "hear"

They as I referred to is the person at Line 6 that I called to ask the question..

I know enough about cross overs and bandpass filters  to use them.. not really reinventing it was me looking at the EV speakers that have the option in their DSP to tell it there is a Sub attached and it will adjust the "crossover /bandfilters" whatever its doing to work with it.  that is why I talked to LINE 6 before I purchased them.

So now that I know it is Not possible (although I bet they could add something into the firmware to give the ability to do what I described.) I will just have to you the filters that are in my X32rack.

its not the end of the world, I'm just saying I wish I had the right information because pushing a few buttons is fairly easy than setting up filters and crossovers.

my sun only has 1 input and a pass through.  

If Im putting a Bass drum in the mains I though that might be pushing it a bit that why id like to filter out some low end.

thanks.

my sun only has 1 input and a pass through.  

If Im putting a Bass drum in the mains I though that might be pushing it a bit that why id like to filter out some low end.

thanks.

As long as the pass through on your sub has a high pass filter you can just run it up to the L3 and you'll then have what you need without using any other equipment.

It wouldn't work for aux fed subs.  But aux fed subs have always required an extra set of filters.

You could use the high pass filter in the mixer on the output that you run the tops from and then continue to run your subs from an aux.