Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help!! Pod xt Live sounds changing unexpectedly

Hi All, lately I am having quite a lot of trouble with my Pod XT Live floor effects.

When I call up a patch while playing, it will sound OK for the first few seconds and then lose some volume and sound really dull.

Also when I have selected a patch the screen on the pod will change between the name of the patch and the dialling buttons (like when you edit the patch) I hope this makes sense.

It will keep on doing this constantly. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Because for the moment I am thinking of throwing the whole unit out and getting a different one as I am gigging 2 / 3 times a week I have to be able to trust on my gear.

Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Playing at volume can actually vibrate the knobs out of position causing it to go to edit mode, change parameters etc. Try this: give all the knobs a good number of fast turns to both extremes. Repeat a few times. This may help clean up the pots a bit. Now when playing park all the knobs at the 'zero' position and this should hopefully stop you going into edit mode.

There may be other issues but try that first.

• Upvote 1

Hi Thanks for the reply, and sorry if I did not explain myself clearly.

It is not the actual knobs that move but the edit knobs on the display screen of the Pod XT live,

the ones you see moving when you edit a patch, so not the actual physical knobs you turn.

I really hope this makes sense

Another thing that happened after I had not connect it to my iMac for a while is that I get the following error messages when trying to connect the Pod XT Live:

Code 8000720C Failed to save patches to local disc

Code 8000900C Midi device timed out waiting for a response

I get these on my iMac and on my Macbook, so I think there is something seriously wrong. This all happened after I downloaded patches from a website.

When I try to connect to the Pod XT Live through midi cable I get the following:

An exception was caught

Type: Java.Lang.OutOfMemoryError

Any help please??

The vibrations can cause the real knobs to move a minute amount (which you cannot see), which can cause the display knobs to go into edit mode. Please try what I suggested.

Are you using USB to USB cable or USB to MIDI cable? If you are using the latter then make sure you are using a decent brand cable, as the cheap ones often do not work for MIDI SysEx. Line 6 recommend the MIDISport Uno.

If you are using Line 6 Edit (which can produce Java errors) try GearBox instead as this doesn't use Java at all.

What version of software do you have on your PodXT? Check on the unit by pressing on the Tuner button and scrolling down to the very last page and it will display your flash version, or use Monkey.

Hi thanks again for the reply,

I have been trying both, USB to USB and USB to Midi.

Usb to Midi is M-audio one, which I have been using for a few years now, mainly to connect my keyboard to the Mac, and have had no problems at all with this lead.

I have started to use gearbox instead of Edit, but with Gearbox as well it can not connect to Tonelocker.

As for the version: Pod XT live version 3.01 USB V1.12

Hey there - for the midi timeout code "Code 8000900C Midi device timed out waiting for a response" I've read that that error can happen when using a usb hub. L6 gear does not function well with usb hubs. If you could try it on a friend's PC to see if it is the PC or the XTL might help in eliminating a variable.

Like Mr_Arkadin I've no knowledge on the Mac stuff either. But I would stick with working on the USB/USB route.

-B

• 1 month later...

I too am having the same problem with the xtlive. the unit has done this for awhile. went to line6 monkey to try to reset factory presets.(as I have messed with everything to get that tone I want. Monkey recognizes my unit but is not connecting to internet it says but here I am on the net.HELP!!!

• 1 year later...

Mine is doing this as well now. I'm playing with (for example) patch 2B then, when I step on 2C, instead of displaying the name of the patch, the display shows the set of 6 value wheels that can be adjusted (drive, bass, mid, treble, presence and chan vol). This happens while no amplified sounds are present so is not related to vibrations as suggested earlier.

I used to have this problem. I figured it could be some sort of bug if you've got a lot of your custom made patches in the unit.

What I did was I made a backup of my 4 favorite patches and I reflashed the BIOS and reinstalled the drivers, factory settings, and the default model bundle. I then transferred my 4 patches onto one bank in the POD. It seems to have worked. I haven't experienced this problem since I did that.

My old XTL will do this once in a while and the only thing I could figure out was its either a) power supply b) flash memory c) something is dying in there - memory or d) pot jitter.

It turned out to be d. With the unit off I turned all the encoders clockwise multiple times and then the other way. The common thought is that dust and such gets in there (or some oxidation) and can cause setting changes when the sound hits it (or sometimes it seems like a light breeze too).

You could also (with the unit off and unplugged) spray some DeOxit on a cable end and plug it in and out a few times. I have a few old amps that need that once in while as the jacks oxidize and make the volume jumps.

Hope that works.

-B

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I also had this problem (as describe in the first post) with my XT Live. I reflashed the memory using Line6 Monkey yesterday and it seems to have gone. Did not lose any presets (Monkey will prompt whether you want to keep these).

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem described on the first post in my POD XT Pro,after a few seconds the sound becomes dull and loses volume,and its not for any kind of vibration because ir happens when I use it with headphones too,any solution?.

Thanks.

I have the same problem described on the first post in my POD XT Pro,after a few seconds the sound becomes dull and loses volume,and its not for any kind of vibration because ir happens when I use it with headphones too,any solution?.

Thanks.

This. Mine has started doing the exact same thing. I've twisted the knobs around to try to clear the dust out of them (it is an old unit after all) and that didn't help. I got drastic and backed up all my patches and then flashed the new rom and completely blew everything away hoping that it was a problem with something I'd done somewhere.

Messed around and got a nice'ish patch going and started playing.

Same thing...lost volume, got really dull sounding. If I hit the pedal again it'll sometimes come back. Sometimes it switches to something kinda random in between what I have set and what it's turned into. Sometimes I'm pretty sure I can hear it laughing at me...

I'm at a loss on this one. I use this primarily for recording (I don't get out much anymore), and it's sad that it has become pretty unreliable.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello friends!

Problem solved, my technician opened the POD and found a broken piece , surely the movement when traveling and use was what caused it , (also a good cleaning helped),review it inside, probably something similar,let me know if it was fixed.

Cheers.

Hi All, lately I am having quite a lot of trouble with my Pod XT Live floor effects.

When I call up a patch while playing, it will sound OK for the first few seconds and then lose some volume and sound really dull.

Also when I have selected a patch the screen on the pod will change between the name of the patch and the dialling buttons (like when you edit the patch) I hope this makes sense.

It will keep on doing this constantly. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Because for the moment I am thinking of throwing the whole unit out and getting a different one as I am gigging 2 / 3 times a week I have to be able to trust on my gear.

Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

This. Mine has started doing the exact same thing. I've twisted the knobs around to try to clear the dust out of them (it is an old unit after all) and that didn't help. I got drastic and backed up all my patches and then flashed the new rom and completely blew everything away hoping that it was a problem with something I'd done somewhere.

Messed around and got a nice'ish patch going and started playing.

Same thing...lost volume, got really dull sounding. If I hit the pedal again it'll sometimes come back. Sometimes it switches to something kinda random in between what I have set and what it's turned into. Sometimes I'm pretty sure I can hear it laughing at me...

I'm at a loss on this one. I use this primarily for recording (I don't get out much anymore), and it's sad that it has become pretty unreliable.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Late to the party, but after reading about the loose part inside, I tried shaking my POD X3 Live to resolve a very similar issue (occassionally sounds like it loses the amp modeling, and stomp box gains are wildly louder than they used to be).  Shaking it produced an almost liquid sloshing sound inside, but the presets restored!  Guess I need to pop the cover and take a peek.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just recently come back to my XT Live after a few years me not playing and it lying under a stack of shelves, forgot how good it is.  Its done the same thing as the OP a few times.  I've updated all the software, drivers etc and it just times out when connecting on USB to L6 Edit.  Does the countdown, gets to 0 then says the Pod has lost connectivity.  Maybe worth starting a new thread for this though?

• 1 year later...

I have exactly the same problem which explained below. This is quite annoying. Any solution related with this? 

"Mine is doing this as well now. I'm playing with (for example) patch 2B then, when I step on 2C, instead of displaying the name of the patch, the display shows the set of 6 value wheels that can be adjusted (drive, bass, mid, treble, presence and chan vol). This happens while no amplified sounds are present so is not related to vibrations as suggested earlier."

• 1 month later...

Hello same Problem Here i have read through all the post this is totally me also It happens to me on just About Every patch plays fine for a minute or so then you see the Dial on volume go down from 7 to like 3 turn it back up min or so later turns back down to 3 go figure Im using Head phone out so no vibration here ? I will try opening it looking inside clean it up real good clean all the nobs and pots real good check the cable connections real well and get back to ya i have ran line 6 monkey everything is updated to the newest version  I will let ya know how it goes soon 

• 1 year later...

And here we are in 2021.  I am still using my reliable Bass Pod XT Live and I have the same issues as the OP.  These don't seem to be vibration-related since this is at very low volume and also recording direct with headphones.  The problem setting/knob for me is (CHAN VOL) that will suddenly change from the preset setting to whatever the physical knob is currently turned to.

Is it the pot in the physical knob sending a false "movement" signal?  Is it the software glitching?  I don't know.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I started having a similar issue with my POD XT Live where the output would randomly become thin/trebley/slightly distorted for a few seconds and then return to normal. I found that the issue was rather simple. On the rear of the pedal next to the input jack, there is a "Norm/Pad" switch. The contacts on this switch were dirty, and it was randomly making contact while I was playing. I sprayed contact cleaner into the switch and switched it back and forth a number of times, and this fixed the output issue.

Since this is an old unit, I decided to clean all the potentiometers, input/output jacks, and switches with contact cleaner.

Hope this helps out someone else with this issue!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Right. I see this topic is getting close to a decade old. So...

I hadn't played guitar for about 5 years. When I pulled stuff out of the cupboard, I decided to start with my Variax 500 and Pod XT Live. Well, my XT Live behaves in a similar way to that described with some differences -

The expression pedal seems to jitter in volume- so fast sometimes it is almost an grindy ring or frequency mod effect. I opened the top, assuming there was a pot in there somewhere that needed a bit of spray, but (d'oh, of course!) the pedal appears to use a magnetic/electric induction loop of some kind to provide the output rather than a pot. I checked everything and all appeared fine, I used some compressed air to clean out the innards and reassembled. Still no joy (pulling things apart and putting them back together seems to work for many problems, even if I never find out what they were). 

So, next step. I reflashed the unit using Monkey. Apart from the violent computer crash at the last step (which happens every time I reflash - spoiler alert) it seemed to work. The variax sounded great. 

But the pedal wasn't working at all. Ok, I thought. Calibration time. I went through the process, observed the mapped numbers go from 0 to 127 and restarted (with everything unplugged, just to be sure). When switched back on and everything plugged in the same volume modulation was apparent. I tried recalibrating again with no joy and eventually reflashing (with the catastrophic Windows 10 crash at the end) and the Variax sound came back up. But no pedal. 

I'm not a big wah person, but I did like using the pedal for tweaking and volume matching and the unit doesn't seem to know it even has a pedal. I'm gonna dig out an old keyboard pedal I have, I assume an external pedal can do everything I want. But the onboard volume/wah/tweak pedal just seems to not want to talk to the rest of the system.

Now, I'm thinking that if this problem can be 'bypassed' by reflashing, that it's either a software or software/hardware calibration issue. It's weird that everything else works bar the pedal, until I run through the calibration process as described on the line 6 site at which point the Pod is unusable.

Anyone else have this similar, but probably not the same problem as the OP?

• 8 months later...

end of 2023 and im having the same problem only worse. it first started with volume then gain and after that all parameters (gain bass mid treble presence volume) digitally shifts to the position that knobs are physically in no matter what settings i use on the channel im on. i opened it up cleaned it checked the knobs but nothing changed its like processor refusing the save and constantly reading and applying the knobs physical settings on whatever patch i try to play

• 2 months later...

It's a real shame that this piece of gear (which cost me $449.00 plus tax in 2009) wasn't more durable.  The outer case of the XT Live seemed rugged, I never had any problem with the soft switches, but the electronics just didn't hold up.

It's put me off buying Line 6 gear for good.

On 3/15/2024 at 5:12 PM, charlzm said:

It's a real shame that this piece of gear (which cost me $449.00 plus tax in 2009) wasn't more durable.  The outer case of the XT Live seemed rugged, I never had any problem with the soft switches, but the electronics just didn't hold up.

It's put me off buying Line 6 gear for good.

Personally I think 15 years for a piece of electronics is a pretty long life. Are you ‘put off’ all electronic gear, then? Good luck if you expect more than that from any other manufacturer.