Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M13 firmware update issues

bcolexxx

Hello people! I'm brand new to the Line 6 forums.

I'm having a few issues updating the Firmware on my LINE 6 M13.

The pedal is awesome (when it works).

So everything stopped working and i stopped getting sound out of it. When I hook up my cables, you can hear this buzzing when you turn the overdrive effects on, so there definately is a connection there, but when you plug the guitar in nothing comes through. I have of course tested out all cables and everything.

So I did some digging and I am on something like 1.07 firmware, and I need to upgrade to the newest one.

I've been following the instructions that I found here (http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/m5-m9-m13/m13-firmware-update-instructions-r364)

They are easy to follow but still nothing. I've tried it using MIDI-OX utility. I download the Sysex file, and follow it step by step. When I'm in MIDI OX and I send the file through to the unit, my little USB Midi device lights up (it has LEDS for Midi in and Midi out, and the Midi Out is flashing indicating that it's sending midi data through the out cable).

My poor old M13 just sits there, on the display it says 'Waiting command'

I get all the way to the end sending the Sysex data over, but it looks like the M13 is not recieving it.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and if anyone has successfully done it!

What MIDI interface are you using? This is probably the biggest thing. It really needs to be one that isn't using the default Windows drivers. The ones that Line 6 recommends in that document are what you should be using. If you have one of those, that's a major obstacle out of the way.

Secondly, I'd try using this program instead of the MIDI OX program. http://www.bome.com/products/sendsx

Personally, I never got the MIDI OX program to work.

One last thing is that you only really need one MIDI cable to do the update. You just need the cable going from the MIDI out of the adapter to the MIDI in of the M13. You don't need two-way communication to do the update.

If you follow those steps, you should have a pretty high probability of success.

• 1 month later...

phil_m, Thanks for the tip about sendsx. When attempting to upgrade to 2.0 using Midi-OX, the process failed with a 'format error'. And left my m13 unit in a bricked state. Cycling power returned to the waiting for upload message, but each time I tried to to this with Midi-OX same error. I installed sendsx, set the midi out accordingly, and as a result, I've upgraded to 2.04.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

What MIDI interface are you using? This is probably the biggest thing. It really needs to be one that isn't using the default Windows drivers. The ones that Line 6 recommends in that document are what you should be using. If you have one of those, that's a major obstacle out of the way.

Secondly, I'd try using this program instead of the MIDI OX program. http://www.bome.com/products/sendsx

Personally, I never got the MIDI OX program to work.

One last thing is that you only really need one MIDI cable to do the update. You just need the cable going from the MIDI out of the adapter to the MIDI in of the M13. You don't need two-way communication to do the update.

If you follow those steps, you should have a pretty high probability of success.

I tried it your way; I get the format error message right away. What am I doing wrong?

Did you download the drivers for the brand of MIDI interface that you are using?

For instance, if using an M-Audio interface, then the compatible drivers for that version

interface, for the computer OS, has to be used.

Yes; I reopened midi ox, changed something, and it worked. However, I did the same thing on my second m13, without changing anything, (except plugging in the midi cable into it) but download fails every time. I re-installed midi ox to get its defaults back, but the user settings obviously doesn't Uninstall

with it. Now, I am looking for that so I can delete it, and start over again (changing permissions and ownership along the way, so I have full access to the files I put on there).

What am I doing wrong? Delay between buffers is 101, and the delay after f7 (which is ticked) is set to 68 ms. The MIDI IO setting is right, which uses my MAUDIO Delta Adiophile. My first M13 set up correctly using these settings, but the second one won't. It'll download packets, but after a while it fails. Please help. Thanks!

post-2559316-0-15989900-1494965353_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello all

I just bought a M13 used with some issues including tuner not functioning. Well, as any good patron of Line 6 products, I decided to update the firmware to the latest version. THAT IS WHERE THE FUN BEGAN......

I was faced with a "download fail", awaiting update. Then the unit was dead. I began searching here on the posts and found great info on how to do the upgrade, but nothing worked. I tried with an old laptop winxp and a newer one, win 7.  I also tried a different midi program. Same result. I then read a post about playing with the settings of the Midi OX. Going back to the the instructions of the upgrade, it states to set the Midi OX in this way:

Go to View, then Sysex; in Sysex View and Scratchpad, go to Sysex, then Configure, make sure to check Delay After F7 and set the Delay (Milliseconds Between Buffers) to 60ms; click OK to accept.

The crucial piece of info in this is the, "set the Delay (Milliseconds Between Buffers) to 60ms". When trying the different laptops, I found the M13 crashed quicker with the newer laptop. I then theorized possibly the M13 cannot handle the rate of info being sent to it. I then set the above delay from 60 to 155ms. I felt maybe the extra delay was what the M13 needed. Well it worked perfectly. It did take about 15 min to process the upgrade, but being faced with the idea of a paperweight instead of a pedalboard made the wait feel better. Note I did this with the Midi sport connector, only connected to the the input of the M13.

Please bear in mind I know almost nothing about midi and midi transfers, and by reading all the posts it looks like a lot of us are in the same boat. I hope this helps anyone faced with a paperweight like I was.

Small slap on the wrist to Line 6 for making this upgrade so difficult for the average user.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @all,

my problem is, that when I start the firmware update, MIDI-ox runs for a while, the stops with an error, that no more buffers available and I should close some programs to get more RAM. But there are no other programs working.

The M13 only shows "waiting on comand..." no other message.

I have 8GB RAM on an HP Notebook with Windows 10.

BTW: a sysex dump of the M13 works, also a backup transfer to the M13 works.

Is there any help for me?

TIA