Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which of the PODHD overdrives do you use for glassy transparent drive?

GazzaBloom

As discussed here before the collective view is that the PODHD overdrives are a little lacking, and maybe we need some more modern OD pedal models to reflect modern tones & tastes.

However, with what we have to play with which overdrive have you used successfully to give the best clear glassy transparent tone such as Andy Timmons gets on Electric Gypsy.

I've been playing with the Color Drive today for the first time and in front of the Blackface model thru DT25 I'm starting to get towards that kind of tone.

I'm really tempted to buy a separate overdrive such as Xotic BB Preamp or Mad Professor Little Green Wonder or equivalent but would like to avoid if I can.

Any views?

Gazza 

I've actually had my best result "in-pod" with the screamer. Gain at 10, bass, tone and treble at max, output at 70-90 depending on what I'm going for. That said, I use my EHX Soul Food pedal almost exclusively. But what I stated above works very well for me pushing an almost clean amp into that touch sensitive dirty zone, and can push the SLO overdrive channel to sound brown. You can back the bass and treble off a little if need be, but something about maxing that tone knob and pushing the output really sounds great live.

I second the screamer but I max the output and go about 30% drive.

While there is good cause for bitchen about the EQs I'd try a couple out to glassify the tone.

I googled utube and listened to the live one. Mesa Transatlantic Amp. His tone is evolving compared to 

the 3 part rig rundown from 2007 and he goes over it there for all his tones

Nice natural tone Fender American Clean  and using Mesa Lone Star and Stelleto Amps back then.

Stumblinman, 

Where / How are you using the Soul Food?  Before POD or in FX Loop?  I just got one and haven't had a change to fiddle with it or have I ever played with the FX Loop on the POD...  Oh, and if your using FX Loop, I am assuming place before amp block?

Thanks!

- Tony

I use it before the Pod. It's great for a little extra kick into the amp models. Usually run volume around 11:30, tone around noon and drive around 9.

I actually bought 2 to use differently, but my singer wanted to borrow one about 2 months ago or so and I haven't seen it since lol.

Stumblinman,

Where / How are you using the Soul Food? Before POD or in FX Loop? I just got one and haven't had a change to fiddle with it or have I ever played with the FX Loop on the POD... Oh, and if your using FX Loop, I am assuming place before amp block?

Thanks!

- Tony

I second the screamer. It's very versatile depending on drive and output and doesn't destroy your guitar tone. Color drive is cool too, but sort of limited for me.

Don't forget that a compressor, especially the LA2A tube comp, can boost your signal too.

It's a combination of things for me... the "Amp" and "Boost".

I'll use one of these Amps and adjust it (both Black Faces, Soldano and one of the Brits) from pretty clean to maybe a little grit.

I use the Boost Comp, Tube Comp for cleaner boosting and then the Color Drive, Tube Drive for any grit.

Andy's Fender's also help with his glassy tone vs. if he used a PRS or Les Paul (per the video).

I've been trying to build a patch that gets the tone we are after here and I watched Andy's video for some guidance.  

I ended up with a dual amp patch using Treadplate and Solo-100 Crunch.  This patch uses the Red comp, color drive and 2 analog delays. The Red comp and Treadplate drive are linked to Exp 1 to increase drive and saturation while the color drive is on FS2  for that bit of dirt he gets too.  The delays are both on FS3.  The Analog Delay w/mod is set to 300ms and the analog echo is set to 500ms just as Andy uses them.  

This is a FRFR dream rig patch so if you are using a JTV with VDI it will select Tele 1 for you.  Clean is exp 1 heel down, guitar vol backed off a bit; drive is vol up, exp 1 toe down and hit FS2 for a bit more.  If you need more bass, adjust the CAB DEP, I have Low Cut set to 150.

Give it a try and let me know what you think...

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/498020/

This works on a HD500... a HD500X might be able to do more...

• Upvote 1

I've been trying to build a patch that gets the tone we are after here and I watched Andy's video for some guidance.  

I ended up with a dual amp patch using Treadplate and Solo-100 Crunch.  This patch uses the Red comp, color drive and 2 analog delays. The Red comp and Treadplate drive are linked to Exp 1 to increase drive and saturation while the color drive is on FS2  for that bit of dirt he gets too.  The delays are both on FS3.  The Analog Delay w/mod is set to 300ms and the analog echo is set to 500ms just as Andy uses them.  

This is a FRFR dream rig patch so if you are using a JTV with VDI it will select Tele 1 for you.  Clean is exp 1 heel down, guitar vol backed off a bit; drive is vol up, exp 1 toe down and hit FS2 for a bit more.  If you need more bass, adjust the CAB DEP, I have Low Cut set to 150.

Give it a try and let me know what you think...

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/498020/

This works on a HD500... a HD500X might be able to do more...

Just a quick comment.  AWESOME patch!  I have a Jap Strat with the HD500 and DT25 and man does it sound great.  Excellent job!