Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Signal Chain....Amp at end?

videoman77

Hey everyone, just curious if anyone has success in putting the amp at the end of the signal chain?  Im think to mimic a true pedal board setup all the pedals are linked together with a final output going straight into front of amp.  Does this work for anyone?  

If you're using a cleanish to mid-gain amp, it should be fine... Really, it's your signal chain. Do whatever the heck you want with it. :)

Seriously, though, I tend to like doing what you're talking about with the Fender models. The reverb sounds a bit more natural to me this way.

Im really just trying to truly emulate the sounds that others get with pedal boards. In fact nearly everyone that i know of with pedal boards run all their effects pre-amp....of course, in my opinion, nothing sounds better than a mic'd amp! But since i play in an environment without stage amps or an amp room, the pod hd500x sounds just as great!  Just wish there were Matchless, Bad Cat, or Jackson amps!

While in Jamaica on vacation, it rained hard one day. I had a POD desktop with me and started messing around. I came up with two whacky reggae type patches. Well one was a more fuzz drivern rhythmic thing. Sounded way cool. When I got back home a buddy was over and I started playing that patch which I had xferred to my POD HD Pro in my rack. He loved it. Only then did I realize. . . . .I had the amp FIRST in the chain. Fuzzes, filters, a pitch shifter and pattern trem were all after the amp!

I quickly grabbed the amp and moved it to the end of the chain. Sounded like poo! Put it back up front and it sounded cool. So. . . .don't be afraid to not follow convention and break the rules. You may get a happy accident.

• Upvote 2

Most studio recordings are made with a compressor or distortion pedal into an amp, followed by delays, modulations and verbs. Pedals before an amp are a compromise. That's why most modern amps have an fx loop, so you can route out to fx that sound funky into an amp.