Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 combo - too much low end?

GazzaBloom

Anyone else find the general character of the DT25 combo to be a bit bass heavy, too much low end?

I seem to have to roll off most of the low end on many of the pre-amp models to get a useable tone. Admittedly this is at a relatively low volume at home and I haven't tried at higher volume in a live situation yet, where I know the EQ curve would need to be a lot different.

The amp also has a strong mid presence to the tone which can sound nice on some clean settings warming up single coils nicely.

Is it sitting on the floor? That will make it boomy.I have several bass heavy combo amps and when I play them live I get them off the floor onto an amp stand/stool etc...to decouple the cabinet from the floor. Depends on the room though and if I am playing outdoors I want some bass so I will put a piece of 2x4 under the front edge of the amp to angle it towards my ears and at the same time still keep the low end intact.And yes the volume you play at will make quite a difference too I agree.

FWIW - Finally got the live recordings from the 4th of July show dumped into my DAW, upon reviewing it 2 things came to light:

First - the DI from the amp sounds really really good, couldn't be happier with what went to tape (and presumably to the FOH as well).  Our sound guy has told me that he's real happy with what he's getting, this was my first chance to hear it from his point of view.  Years of micing just came to an end, and no stage bleed in that channel.  But:

Second - there's a lot more low end going on than I'm perceiving on stage, most notably in some of the hi-gain sounds.  Doesn't bother me, just have to go in and tweak the programs a bit - now I know, so I can adjust for it.  Btw these are preamp only, I'm just letting the DT cab do it's thing.

So I'll go for "Yes" - there's a surprising amount of low end lurking in this little 1x12 combo.  I'd rather have it and not need it, then the other way around.

All in all the DT continues to amaze and delight, best buy I've made in years.....

Ric

• Upvote 1

FWIW - Finally got the live recordings from the 4th of July show dumped into my DAW, upon reviewing it 2 things came to light:

First - the DI from the amp sounds really really good, couldn't be happier with what went to tape (and presumably to the FOH as well).  Our sound guy has told me that he's real happy with what he's getting, this was my first chance to hear it from his point of view.  Years of micing just came to an end, and no stage bleed in that channel.  But:

Second - there's a lot more low end going on than I'm perceiving on stage, most notably in some of the hi-gain sounds.  Doesn't bother me, just have to go in and tweak the programs a bit - now I know, so I can adjust for it.  Btw these are preamp only, I'm just letting the DT cab do it's thing.

So I'll go for "Yes" - there's a surprising amount of low end lurking in this little 1x12 combo.  I'd rather have it and not need it, then the other way around.

All in all the DT continues to amaze and delight, best buy I've made in years.....

Ric

Sound clips needed....or it didn't happen!

Sound clips needed....or it didn't happen!

Well, about 8000 people would beg to differ... :D   I'm too busy these days to even get to mixing in any detail, lots of irons in the fire - and also have no online presence to speak of so I'd have to figure out where to post clips.  But hold that thought, I'll see what I can do after the turn of the month when things settle down a bit....

• 2 weeks later...

I had exactly the opposite problem when I first started using the DT25 - my band complained the amp was too harsh & trebly.  But it's so adjustable - it took a while to get it under control but I get the sounds I want now.  I agree it also has a lot to do with the room.

• Upvote 1