Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why are the Diezel and 5105 sims included on the POD X3/XT, but not on the HD500x series?

MiguelMarquez

It has come to my attention that certain amp simulations that were available on previous versions of the POD aren't available on the POD HD500x. I'd like to know why that is. In my opinion, metal players could appreciate the inclusion of those two models...

• Upvote 1

because those amps were modeled the old way for the old pods....

and the newer pods require a different newer modeling method, which simply was not done on all the same amps...

they did not commit to modeling the same amps through all eternity simply because they modeled it in the past.

that's proprietary info that they don't share....

but i can tell you from my experience testing them etc, it's not as easy as it seems...

each channel needs modeled separately, each control, all the internal interactions, the pre-amp, the amp, and on and on....

like all companies they have limited resources and likely have those resources on other projects at the moment...

the pods were released 4 years ago, and only a handful of models have been added since and that was at least a couple of years ago.

just saying... if it does happen, don't count on it being soon... some people have probably waited the whole 4 years for that model...

you might just work through this:

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

he's managed to do plenty of metal tones without getting hung up on this model or that model.

Miguel...

You're not alone... I wish they had included the Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus.

In my opinion, there are only 2 or 3 'clean' amps (Black Faces) in the collection.

Even the "Soldano Clean" breaks up to early with volume increases for my taste. :(

that's proprietary info that they don't share....

but i can tell you from my experience testing them etc, it's not as easy as it seems...

each channel needs modeled separately, each control, all the internal interactions, the pre-amp, the amp, and on and on....

like all companies they have limited resources and likely have those resources on other projects at the moment...

the pods were released 4 years ago, and only a handful of models have been added since and that was at least a couple of years ago.

just saying... if it does happen, don't count on it being soon... some people have probably waited the whole 4 years for that model...

you might just work through this:

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

he's managed to do plenty of metal tones without getting hung up on this model or that model.

Thanks for the information. It didn't occur to me it could be that time-consuming (the whole process).

I'm working my way through that guy's Tone Guide. Certainly a must-read for every HD500x user who is serious about tone.

"metal players could appreciate the inclusion of those two models" More metal amps..good grief

More usable metal amps would be a good thing. So far most metal patches are being made usind the following models: Uber, Angel F, Threadplate and at times the Soldano Overdrive.

I play nothing but metal and think the amps we have are more than plenty.  I use Angel F.  Although Soldano is very tempting.

Now to all the anal metal heads out there...

My wife told me before we got married that she was very anal.  After we got married I learned there was two meanings to this.

• Upvote 2

I play nothing but metal and think the amps we have are more than plenty.  I use Angel F.  Although Soldano is very tempting.

Now to all the anal metal heads out there...

My wife told me before we got married that she was very anal.  After we got married I learned there was two meanings to this.

I think that's too much information! :lol:

Just out of curiosity...how tedious is the amp modelling process? It's just baffling L6 didn't choose to re-model such a widely praised amp as the 5150.

I'm not disappointed with the lack of a 5150 amp model because I knew it wasn't there when I bought my HD500X. However, I'd be absolutely thrilled if it was eventually included in a fw update because I do have that amp model on my Peavy Vypyr VIP2 amp, and it's by far my favorite model on that amp.

Just curious, how does the Peavey Vypyr compare in tone quality to the PODHD ?

It's hard to make an exact comparison because there aren't really any amp models that both have in common, but in general, I'd say that the Vypyr (at least the VIP series) tends to be a little brighter. My one issue with the Vypyr VIP 2 (and I assume it's the same on the VIP 1 and 3 models) is that the high gain models are a little too "mosquito attack" sounding, so you really have to dial the gain down, but that may just be because the real amps being modeled are that way. But it is a great amp with amazing tone, I just wish it had a line out.

Currently my favorite set up is to put my HD500X into "combo front" mode for practicing, and play through the Vypyr on the "Classic" clean channel. It sounds amazing like this. But live, I just use the HD500X direct into the PA w/ XLR and don't bother carrying my amp around with me anymore.

• Upvote 1