Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is your 59's neck too big? Interested in swapping your JTV-59 (or 59P) for my JTV-69S?

Hello all... Just seeing if there is any interest over here. I'm interested in trading my JTV-69S (Shoreline Gold) for a JTV-59 (burst preferred) or JTV-59P (Goldtop preferred). I've found I'm just more of a "LP" kinda guy...

I may be someone unknown in this forum, but I have references available... I've been quite active as Rattle&Hum over at the Gear Page and woodyjunior on ebay.

PM me if you have any interest or questions. Perfect condition - originally ordered from Sweetwater (so its a good one). Pics available upon request. Not expecting a straight-up trade - we can settle value and trade details privately.

th_4E9E018C-78E4-4EB9-9EFF-8F3C2AD0F5D8_   th_ECA178AF-4247-4135-B854-2F3AAAE92759_   th_7D48E560-B1EE-4FA5-A2F0-BB962C7EF057_   th_0A8B62E6-1FC0-4C17-A8D6-412646CCF463_   th_0BA09B06-72E1-4BC5-943D-BAB3A9D87371_   th_5399D4A0-FFCD-434A-81B9-AAD50EFD2A32_   th_45C1DF73-0C7B-463A-AA81-0AED97B529A1_

no problem at all... they are close enough that i probably would have traded you even if it was something i wanted...

but i deal with craigslist alot and some people want a penny for penny match.....

generally i'm in it for making music not money... so i can deal with close enough... if it was something i wanted.

Of course... I've updated my post to communicate I'm not expecting a straight-up trade.

For whatever reasons, retailers have had blowout prices on 69 variants but not so much on the 59s. 69s pop up occasionally for as little as $799 here and there (usually returned or floor models).

I bought mine before all that when prices were more equal across the model line but that doesn't seem to be the state these days.

At any rate, I'm not looking to move up to a more valuable guitar... I'm looking for a mutually-beneficial trade as I would prefer the bigger neck of a 59. If it comes down to dollars, so be it.

That said, I'm also quite close to simply ordering a custom neck for my 69s if a suitable trade option does not exist.

IMO, you're being totally reasonable.... and i think it's awesome that you gave the option to the community here.

I love the gold, but hate the SSS... i've not bonded with my 59 (black) as much as i'd have liked personally and i've considered picking up a 69 myself.

surely there are others out there with similar experiences that like the SSS option... hopefully they chime in before you move forward.

post-395361-0-89348300-1407007986_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Ya know, I rarely use the mags and I'm also considering replacing them with a couple SD Little 59s and a Duckbucker middle or some Dimarzio rails for an HSH-type vibe for the mags. Nothing wrong with the stock pups, but I run direct into my HD500 and get more noise than I need to tolerate when the strat model is so good.

I like the 69S's aesthetic more than the HSS 69 - it just looks too unbalanced to me. Too much going on.

i'm exactly the opposite... i think the pickguard lines and ring are aesthetically more pleasing to me...

in fact since i use the models mostly as well, that SSS pickguard is the primary reason i just don't like them.

i do rather like the buckers in the 59 though....so i imagine i'd also like them in the 69.

Thanks.

Ya know, I rarely use the mags and I'm also considering replacing them with a couple SD Little 59s and a Duckbucker middle or some Dimarzio rails for an HSH-type vibe for the mags. Nothing wrong with the stock pups, but I run direct into my HD500 and get more noise than I need to tolerate when the strat model is so good.

I like the 69S's aesthetic more than the HSS 69 - it just looks too unbalanced to me. Too much going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually wanted a 69 when I went to the local GC to try them, but I found the necks on the 2 69's they had there way too chunky for me. I thought the neck on the tobacco sunburst 59 that I tried there (and eventually bought) felt a lot better and more natural. I prefer the sound of single coils (hate the noise though), and I really wanted a vibrato bar, but I was also concerned that the inevitable tuning issues with a vibrato bridge would make the alternate tunings less usable, so I chose the 59 for all those reasons.

I'd love to have a SSS Strat style JTV, but can't afford to buy another guitar right now. Your trade offer is tempting, but I don't know how I'd feel about giving up my 59... Tempting though...

Same boat here... I'd love to trade you for it... but don't want to give up the 59... i have a whole slew of other stuff though, if you want. :)

I actually wanted a 69 when I went to the local GC to try them, but I found the necks on the 2 69's they had there way too chunky for me. I thought the neck on the tobacco sunburst 59 that I tried there (and eventually bought) felt a lot better and more natural. I prefer the sound of single coils (hate the noise though), and I really wanted a vibrato bar, but I was also concerned that the inevitable tuning issues with a vibrato bridge would make the alternate tunings less usable, so I chose the 59 for all those reasons.

I'd love to have a SSS Strat style JTV, but can't afford to buy another guitar right now. Your trade offer is tempting, but I don't know how I'd feel about giving up my 59... Tempting though...

Yeah - and I've wrestled with this, too. There are MANY things I like and prefer about the 69 (5-way switch for easier access to all models, tremolo is fantastic, etc.). 

If I cannot find a worthwhile trade option, then at least I have the option of swapping out the neck.

I've see a few posts where people have swapped out a compound radius strat neck from Stew Mac, and they were very happy with them. Relatively inexpensive also.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/Electric_Guitar/Necks/Replacement_Neck_for_Strat_Guitar.html

If I had bought one of the 69's I was looking at, I might have done the same. As you said, there are a number of advantages in the 69 model.

Zap - its too bad you're not closer to Charleston... trial run would be ideal.

I've see a few posts where people have swapped out a compound radius strat neck from Stew Mac, and they were very happy with them. Relatively inexpensive also.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/Electric_Guitar/Necks/Replacement_Neck_for_Strat_Guitar.html

If I had bought one of the 69's I was looking at, I might have done the same. As you said, there are a number of advantages in the 69 model.

guitarno - where are you located?

I also want to clarify that I don't necessarily dislike the neck on this guitar. Like I said in the original post - this is a good one. Only needed to add a string tree. No buzzes, bad frets, or other issues. The ONLY reason I'm even entertaining this is the nut width... 1-5/8" wide at the nut is just a tad too narrow. 1.650" is my ideal width, but 1-11/16" works, too.

Not sure a StewMac neck would be any improvement over this particular neck. I've played some 69's that had sub-par necks. I've also played Custom Shop strats and teles with mediocre necks. If I do a replacement neck, it would be a custom deal from USACG or Musikraft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...