Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

another dumb HD500x question

bobwilken

I am not just a newb to the pod HD500X , I don't really have much experience at all with  operating any type of floor rig .

I see that ttweaking the settings in HD500X EDIT  software , or even just switching patches or tweaking of patches on the Pod led screen does not ( of course) change the position of the global rotary dials across the top row of unit nor does it affect the position of the expression pedal .

So what I would like to know is how do the dials and expression pedal work in relation to the computer settings.

I mean should I have that top row of dials set at 12 o'clock while I'm adjusting settings inside of HD500X EDIT .... Or have them all zeroed out. ... 

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the relationship between the internal computer parameters and the external physical adjustments.

Sorry about my obvious ignorance of these matters ....

but I usually just run straight clean guitar into Logic Pro , and then flavor  my mixes with plug-ins.

I don't really know anything about using a live rig.

Playing out loud through live physicall gear is a whole different ball game.

So far , my sound would be best described by the smell emanating from a cow barn  :wacko:

The physical dials and pedal positions are ignored until/unless they are touched. When the dials are moved the setting immediately reflects the knob/pedal position; until then the setting is defined by the saved/stored value, or as set in the editor.

The physical dials and pedal positions are ignored until/unless they are touched. When the dials are moved the setting immediately reflects the knob/pedal position; until then the setting is defined by the saved/stored value, or as set in the editor.

thanks Silverhead , 

so I guess the best idea would be leave them all at 12 o'clock : that way I would have a 50% adjustment range  either way if the situation becomes necessary.

by the way ,  which comes later in the signal chain  -   the master volume knob or the gas pedal ?

thanks Silverhead , 

so I guess the best idea would be leave them all at 12 o'clock : that way I would have a 50% adjustment range  either way if the situation becomes necessary.

by the way ,  which comes later in the signal chain  -   the master volume knob or the gas pedal ?

Once you get into it a bit more, you'll find that you can assign that gas pedal to either a wah or a volume (actually, you can assign it to a few effect paramters as well). You can then place the gas pedal and any other effect anywhere you want in the chain.

It may have been lost in the good comments above, but there are 2 types of rotary dials on the HD surface.

The large dials for Preamp settings (Bass, Mid, ...) are not relative but absolute in respect to what you see in the editor as parameter value. For example, if your dial is at 12 o'clock and the associated parameter value in the editor shows a 30% value and you just slightly move the dial clockwise the parameter value will 'jump' from 30% to say 51% or 52% depending on how far you turned it. In other words it does not matter much where you leave the knobs. The range of possible change is always the full range. The display shows roughly where the original setting was if you change them.

The small dials under the display are used to edit effect parameter and other settings are relative dials with little nodge-like physical feedback when you change them. These dials have no physical min or max setting. They simply change the parameter value either up (clockwise) or down in the units shown in the display. Sometimes they are just different choices and not different values of a parameter, but the display shows you what you currently have. I don't know of any way to figure out what the original value was other than changing the tone and back, but that looses all your changes you did not already save.

Good luck. As said before, it's not so complicated as it may sound once you get used to it.

"Gas Pedal"... :P

Now that's a new one!

yeah , I'm now a retired  60-year-old man starting to get into this hobby of writing music and playing guitar and keyboards and LogiProX and JTV Variaxes and Pod500x and all that good stuff etc. and all this newfangled technology iis way beyond me ... for right now anyway..

so for right now I just gotta "calls 'em how I sees 'em "

it  looks just like a damn old  gas pedal to me  !!    HA !! :lol:

• Upvote 1