Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pedalboard mode - Using FS1-8 and EXP 1-2

danfuscaldo

[Hi! Long-time player - first-time poster]

I'm using my HD500x in Pedalboard mode with different effects assigned to each of the 8 foot switches. I would like to assign WAH and VOLUME to the Expression pedals, EXP 1 and EXP 2, but cannot figure out how to do that. I can take one of the FS and change it to WAH and then change the assignment to EXP 1, but then I lose the effect I had on that FS.

I feel like this should be easy to do, but I just can't figure it out for some reason. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help.

I use mine like that all the time with no issues.  Are you using HD Edit to assign your FS and pedals?  I find that to be the easiest way in the controllers tab.

In the controllers tab select the Wah and assign the FS you want and also assign the parameters to the Exp pedal.

If you already have FX assigned to all 8 FS, you can assign the Wah to the toe switch for the pedal so you don't interfere with any of the other settings. 

Another option I like to do is keep the Wah ON all the time by assigning both MIX and POSITION to the Exp pedal.  Set MIX 21-62 and POSITION 0-100.  In the minimum position you won't hear any Wah effect but as you press down it comes on as it should like a Bad Horsie.  You never have to turn the Wah off this way.

• Downvote 1

OK, I must still be doing something wrong here. I have all 8 of my footswitches assigned to effects.

Here's what I am doing in HD500x Edit. Please correct any mistakes.

1. In the FX tab, I change FS8 to be Wah and assign it to EXP-1.

2. In the Controllers tab, I assign the Wah to EXP Toe Switch and EXP-1

3. Now FS8 has no effect assigned

Can I reassign FS8 to the effect I had there previously (spring reverb)? I tried this before, but lost the wah effect on EXP-1. 

Yes, you can reassign FS8 to whatever FX you wish. Once you have assigned the Toe Switch to the WAH that's how you turn the Wah on/off. The thing you have to remember is that when you depress the Toe Switch it ALSO switches the active EXP pedal.

Here's a common confusing scenario:

- the WAH FX is in the signal chain but is currently OFF

- the EXP pedal is currently set to EXP-1

- you assign the Toe Switch to the Wah

- you assign the Wah controller to be EXP-1

Now you use the Toe Switch to activate the WAH. You move the EXP pedal, but it seems to have no effect on the WAH FX. You can tell that the WAH is on, but it is not responding to the pedal. What's going on??

What's going on is that the active EXP pedal is now EXP-2, which is not assigned to the WAH. The pedal switch occurred when you turned the WAH on using the Toe Switch.

What to do? In the above scenario you need to anticipate that the EXP pedal will switch when you use the Toe Switch, so you need to assign the WAH to EXP-2.

Great question. Yes, you have to SAVE the preset in a specific state with the correct combination of FX on/off, Toe Switch assignments to both WAH and VOL, and the correct EXP pedal active to match the other assignments. They all work together. A little practice and trial and you'll have it nailed.

Well it works, but not the way I would like it to. I can get the Wah or the volume or the Reverb (as FS8) to work, but not all three. I assign them to their respective switches, but when I try to assign another one, I lose the setting of the one I just did. I tried it in both HD500x Edit and directly on the HD500x.

To review - In pedalboard mode, I would like FS1-8 to be effects, EXP-1 to be Volume and EXP-2 to be Wah.

If you have a few spare minutes, could you step me through how to do this?

Thanks! (In the meantime, I'll keep messing around and see if I can get it to stick.)

I assume you do not have a second exp pedal?  just the POD?

first, if you have 8 effects already assigned to the FS, how do you have any blocks left over for wah and volume??

so the most you can have is 6 FX, a wah and a volume.  Set the FX to FS1-6.  Then make sure your wah is OFF and your volume is ON.  Go to the controllers tab and select the volume pedal.  Select TOE SW and assign it to EXP 1.  Go to the wah and select TOE SW and assign it to EXP 2.  Save your patch to the computer and SEND it to your POD.

(NOTE - do not touch any switches or knobs on the POD while editing on the computer until you have SENT the patch to the POD)

Now all your effects are controlled by their respective FS and the volume is normally ON, pedal is EXP1.  To select the wah, press down HARD on the toe switch and the wah will turn on and the pedal will become EXP 2.  Press down HARD again on the toe switch to turn the wah OFF and switch back to the volume pedal.

Using the HD500X device:

- In Setup page#1, assign FSMode to FS5-8

- depress the Toe Switch so that EXP-1 is active

Using HD500X Edit do the following WITHOUT depressing the Toe Switch or any footswitch

In the FX screen:

- place your REVERB model in the signal chain and turn it ON

- place your VOL model in the signal chain and turn it ON

- place your WAH model in the signal chain and turn it OFF

In the Controllers screen:

- assign REVERB to FS8. Do not assign any controller for it.

- assign VOL to Toe Switch and set its controller to EXP-1

- assign WAH to Toe Switch and set its controller to EXP-2

Now, still using HD500X Edit, SEND the current preset to the HD500X device. Exit HD500X Edit.

Using the HD500X device, switch to another preset and then back to the preset under design. Test the operations of FS8, Toe Switch and VOL/WAH FX.

silverhead - Will that essentially give me 6 effects and VOL and WAH as radatats has stated? Or can I change the VOL and WAH in the signal chain back to effects once they are assigned to EXP-1 and EXP-2?

Also - thank you both for helping me today! It is very much appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I have been trying for untold hours to get 2 pedals programmed properly. I am referring to the pedal on the HD500X, and the LIne6 EX-1 pedal plugged into the pedal 2 jack with a stereo TRS male 1/4" plug on each end.  I wanted to have volume on exp1 and wah on exp2, with the wah turned on and off with a fs button. I use setup #1 FSmode: FS5-8. It is beneficial for me to NOT use exp toe switch because I like to have a lot of volume headroom under my foot to get that Terry Kath feedback. If I have exp toe switch programmed, when the pedal goes all the way down to activate the wah, my overall volume is too loud.

I thank silverhead  and ratatats for putting me on the right path.

1. I had issues because I was had my foot on a pedal while I was using the HD Editor on my computer while I was sending the selected patch. So don't touch anything on the HD500x while you are making pedal assignments on the computer editor.

2. After you finish programming, switch to another preset and then back to the one you just programmed.

3. If that darn pedal you are using on pedal 2 is not responding, unplug the pedal 2 cord, then plug it back. Check to see that it is now responding. Send the selected patch for saving again. Switch to another preset and then back to the one you just programmed.

These 3 steps gave me success.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I've only had my HD500X for a few days, still trying to feel my way around it.  I've not gotten the pedal to control anything at all, at least not yet.  I got the toeswitch to work, but not the pedal.  After seeing all the posts about updating from Edit, I have a question.  Is it the case that after you send the update from Edit, you have to change to another patch and back (on the unit) to reload the settings? 

I've really learned quite a bit from the posts I've read.  It looks like a nice community.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Another option I like to do is keep the Wah ON all the time by assigning both MIX and POSITION to the Exp pedal.  Set MIX 21-62 and POSITION 0-100.  In the minimum position you won't hear any Wah effect but as you press down it comes on as it should like a Bad Horsie.  You never have to turn the Wah off this way.

I have got most other issues under control so I wanted to come back to this excellent idea of not having to turn off the wah. I have wah ready to use on many of my patches by assigning an FS switch to turn it on and off. So, if I use your method, I sent mix 21-62. Does that setting only activate the wah when you are depressing the expression pedal past 21% toward the toe? So as long as the pedal is from heel to 21% of the travel distance, the wah will not be activated?

No, it is always active, but the Mix (relative level) is too low for it to be heard.

When the pedal is fully back (heel down) the Mix of the WAH is 21% and the position is 0 which is cutting the higher frequencies a bit

When the pedal is fully forward the Mix of the Wah is 62% the position is 100

Mix of 50% is equal amounts of Effect and Unaffected signal; as you go lower the Effect level is cut, as you go higher the Unaffected signal is cut

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Yes, you can reassign FS8 to whatever FX you wish. Once you have assigned the Toe Switch to the WAH that's how you turn the Wah on/off. The thing you have to remember is that when you depress the Toe Switch it ALSO switches the active EXP pedal.

Here's a common confusing scenario:

- the WAH FX is in the signal chain but is currently OFF

- the EXP pedal is currently set to EXP-1

- you assign the Toe Switch to the Wah

- you assign the Wah controller to be EXP-1

Now you use the Toe Switch to activate the WAH. You move the EXP pedal, but it seems to have no effect on the WAH FX. You can tell that the WAH is on, but it is not responding to the pedal. What's going on??

What's going on is that the active EXP pedal is now EXP-2, which is not assigned to the WAH. The pedal switch occurred when you turned the WAH on using the Toe Switch.

What to do? In the above scenario you need to anticipate that the EXP pedal will switch when you use the Toe Switch, so you need to assign the WAH to EXP-2.

• 2 years later...

Hi

Just joined the forum here.  I actually use a HD500, so some of my thoughts may not be relevant to the HD500X.

I've used my HD500 in conjunction with a Line6 DT25, since 2013.  It still catches me out using this combo with the HD500, as I am confused about which device actually controls the volume an BMT , Reverb and presence controls.  I had a situation a while ago when all my presets in any bank were all on a global reverb setting, and I couldn't fathom out.  I then plugged a TRS 2 switch latching footswitch to ensure I had control over the amps reverb.

I've tried for years to get a set of presets to sound as good on stage as they did in my garage.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion to now set the HD500 to Pedalboard mode and assiggn FS1-6 as effects, and FS7-8 as FS Wah and Vol on the EXP 1 and 2.  Because when I break it down, I use 1 maybe 2 Strats on a gig, and only 4 presets out of 16 banks.  Might as well set up a single amp/ cab combo, and use the FS 1 as Clean with compression, FS 2 as Chorus, FS3 as delay, FS4 as dotted delay, FS 5 as a cruch, and FS6 as a hi gain lead.  Wah and Vol on EXP1 & 2 will always be present.  I hope this will improve things, and limit the pedal dance from preset to preset, and the selection of effects from FS5-8. Will report back after next gig or rehearsal.

Rich

The Cattch 

• 7 months later...