Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External Drives

Mynameismatt

I don't have a POD HDx yet but I wondered if anyone prefers to use external drive pedals instead of the Pod ones.  I prefer to use my external drives with my M13 as they sound more transparent.  I also like that I leaves me more DSP to play with.

What are your thoughts?

Matt

Besides having a good selection of drive pedals, the pod also has excellent high gain amps to choose from. When I got the POD, I used to think I should make pedal-like patches since I was using a real amp for live sound, but now my patches have amp emulations and distorted patches use high gain amps instead of pedals in the POD. I use them combined as well (Screamer+high gain amp) and it sounds even better. Still, if you prefer to use external pedals, there's a loop available in the POD, so you can connect anything you like and add it to the chain within the POD.

• Upvote 1

Some have complained the FX loop for pedals has a lower volume or described as a tone suck.

I haven't confirmed it but the TRS output is a stereo output. A mono TS jack most likely will cause some combfiltering or more correctly an out of phase if used into a pedal.

This means that a stereo chain of pedals could be run for some creativity and hopefully no tone loss for good pedals in your rig.

Im not so bothered by the effects loop.  I would be running over drive pedals in front of the pod and maybe a compressor.  I know the issues with clipping but I wondered how the amp modelling reacted to overdrive pedals.  I tend to run my amp clean and stack overdrive pedals to get the specific gain structures i like...

I'm with you- distortions and overdrives are probably the weakest part of most digital multi-FX IMO. You can tweak them to sound alright, but put an analog pedal in front and all is right with the world again...