Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I am trying to use my new L3t speaker as my "practice" sound source and FX's setups at home for when I perform at Church.   I want to duplicate as best I can what will be heard through the PA system at church.   Church uses EV LiveX speakers and subs running through Presounus mixer.  I am running the HD out of One XLR out directly into the mixer via snake.   I have read several posts about how to connect the HD to the l3t to produce the most "true" sound; but, the reports differ quite a bit.   If I use the Line 6 Link connection, am I getting a true FRFR sound?  The Volume is great and clear by this method; but, is it truly apples to apples to the way I am connecting at church?  The XLR input at the top of the back of the L3t produces a very low volume compared to the Line 6 Link; even though plugging a Ipod into the RCA connectors right next to it produces a very good and loud sound.   Using the side panel uses, I guess, the L3t's "amp" to boost levels so I don't think that would be the best "apples to apples" (church vs home) setup.  Thanks for any help on this.  Jim

When you connect via Line6 you have a digital connection and you avoid DA- AD conversion. When you use the analog output and input there is an additional conversion. This will not change the sound in a way that it sounds totally different but the Line6 Link digital connection is cleaner.

The POD HD500's XLR output is at microphone level so it has to go into a pre amp. The 1/4" output is at line level and will produce a louder signal.

All these different methods have less impact on the sound than a different speaker or different mixer settings. As long as high quality gear is used and no extreme settings are applied I would not worry too much. To answer your question: Line6 Link with the L3t speaker in PA/ Reference mode is the cleanest solution.

• 2 weeks later...

When you connect via Line6 you have a digital connection and you avoid DA- AD conversion. When you use the analog output and input there is an additional conversion. This will not change the sound in a way that it sounds totally different but the Line6 Link digital connection is cleaner.

The POD HD500's XLR output is at microphone level so it has to go into a pre amp. The 1/4" output is at line level and will produce a louder signal.

All these different methods have less impact on the sound than a different speaker or different mixer settings. As long as high quality gear is used and no extreme settings are applied I would not worry too much. To answer your question: Line6 Link with the L3t speaker in PA/ Reference mode is the cleanest solution.

Is there any way that using the L6 link with the HD500 and L3t that the HD500's master volume could control the L3t instead of the master volume on the HD500 being switched off and only the L3t's master volume controlling the volume? That seems like a big downfall so far.