Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Strictly Rumor: Next Variax will be Yamaha guitar

I was at my local Sam Ash today. The manager said that he heard the next Variax will be in a Yamaha guitar. I suppose it makes sense. Why pay Tyler to build your guitars in Korea when you already own a guitar factory?

This is the kind of synergy I was hoping to see with the Yammy acquisition. It means the

Variax will have greater viability and probably more marketing budget to get it into more hands.

I've always been well satisfied with Yammy products, and I've owned and worked with a lot of them.

I've always been well satisfied with Yammy products, and I've owned and worked with a lot of them. 

I'm not a fan of the new Yamaha relationship. 

Too bad in 2014 bulk of Yamaha  Electric Guitars imported into USA have sub par quality in 2014. Most Yamaha dealers want to sell Yamaha Synths, but Yamaha Dealership terms dictate their dealers must also order quite a few  of the cheap Yamaha Pacifica strats too.  Too often, most 2014 Fender Squier's have better quality than  a new Yamaha Pacifica.

61nyXPrEyEL._SL1500_.jpg

Hopefully, if the new Variax is in a Yamaha body, they will put it in a more 'high end' guitar.  Something like their old studio series or another solid model.  I recently bought a Yamaha TRBX305 bass and I'm very happy with the quality and setup.  They can make it as nice as they want to.

• Upvote 1

Certainly slapping a variax into a Pacifica would be a disaster .. but it sorta makes no sense .. Variax is a high end deal and these guitars may provide a high end line for Yamaha ... whose electric guitar presence is sorta non-existent right now ..

Been playing my JTV-89 more and more .. it may be the finest one I own ... certainly it was the most expensive as far as MAP price ... but I got a deal on the end of the line 89s w/o trem.  a steal at $650!!!

• Upvote 1

Certainly slapping a variax into a Pacifica would be a disaster .. but it sorta makes no sense .. Variax is a high end deal and these guitars may provide a high end line for Yamaha ... whose electric guitar presence is sorta non-existent right now ..

Been playing my JTV-89 more and more .. it may be the finest one I own ... certainly it was the most expensive as far as MAP price ... but I got a deal on the end of the line 89s w/o trem.  a steal at $650!!!

I'd kill for a discount 69s maple guitar, but man, that nut issue. I should look at those musician friends and sweetwater return deals. 

I really hope that the Yamaha thing wont damage them though. I think it's a bit of a downgrade if they switch their guitars. I don't know if they can end their deal with James Tyler, but I think it's a bad idea if they do. One of the biggest appeals to the JTV is the fine craft that the guitar is, but hopefully the Yamahas are decent as well.

As much as I love my 600, and how well it plays to all my other guitars, I want my DREAM guitar to play like a god. I want that action as low as I can get it. I want the tuning stability godlike after I use bends 3-4 semitones high and shake the hell out of the tem. I want the dream electronics to be in a dream guitar. The ultimate army knife. 

It's one of the things other things that the Variax has over all the other modeling guitars. Not only does it have monstrously amazing modeling, but it's one hell of a guitar physically too.

• Upvote 1

...I want my DREAM guitar to play like a god. I want that action as low as I can get it. I want the tuning stability godlike after I use bends 3-4 semitones high and shake the hell out of the tem. I want the dream electronics to be in a dream guitar....

well, these r the ...specs of the 69s maple...

well, these r the ...specs of the 69s maple...

Then why make a new set of guitars? Will the JTVs be discontinued? So much for that deal with James Tyler.

The only way I'll like this is if the guitars play just as great and are less expensive without the Tyler name. Also, of course, they have to look good. How about that Telecaster model, huh? Yeah.

Maybe that just means they will use yamaha factory instead of world guitars, if the rumor is in fact true.

In my case I would actually prefer cheap pacifica variaxes. Get that price down to like 5oo bucks again. I could do xplants less expensively then. Actually I will soon have 7 xplants so it is doubtful I will need many more variax guts. . .lol. Maybe 2 more. . .maybe 3 to make an even 10?

Maybe that just means they will use yamaha factory instead of world guitars, if the rumor is in fact true.

In my case I would actually prefer cheap pacifica variaxes. Get that price down to like 5oo bucks again. I could do xplants less expensively then. Actually I will soon have 7 xplants so it is doubtful I will need many more variax guts. . .lol. Maybe 2 more. . .maybe 3 to make an even 10?

It's a win lose situation to me. I hope they continue the JTV branch. I don't want to buy a crap guitar with good electronics in it. It's what a lot of people wanted, a good Variax.

• Upvote 1

The JTV-89F is the best feeling and playing guitar I've ever had in my hands, it just fits me.  Regardless of the fact it's a Variax.  Only thing I'd change is the string gauge and the Schaller strap buttons I just put on it last night.

• 3 months later...

I hope they continue the JTV branch. I don't want to buy a crap guitar with good electronics in it. It's what a lot of people wanted, a good Variax.

Yeah, it does make a difference! I really like the feel of my JTV59, it's a nice guitar. I recently bought then returned a Roland GC-1, which is basically a Mexican strat with the GK pickup hardwired into it. It's a cool guitar and the sounds using the 13 pin pickup are sweet - but the build quality of the guitar is just not there. I compared it with my USA strat, and I couldn't stand the Mexi anymore.

The JTV is definitely, for being Korean, a step up from the usual imports. The USA JTV's are just too far out of my price point, but the value is there with the Korean build, for sure, way better than the Mexican Roland ready Fender Strat!