Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Don't dump POD HD users over Amplifi

sedgey

I'm sitting here with a huge pile of Line 6 products, that I've bought with my hard earned cash over the last few years, a whole dream rig (jtv, variax, pod hd500, dt25), plus a stage source PA an M5 and a G30.... what happened guys. I've tried this amplifi..... it's a toy. Please spend some time on the pro side of your product inventory, I've submitted a bunch of ideas to ideascale etc and I appreciate a buy out leads to a period of adjustment... but throw us a bone please!

• Upvote 4

I'm sitting here with a huge pile of Line 6 products, that I've bought with my hard earned cash over the last few years, a whole dream rig (jtv, variax, pod hd500, dt25), plus a stage source PA an M5 and a G30.... what happened guys. I've tried this amplifi..... it's a toy. Please spend some time on the pro side of your product inventory, I've submitted a bunch of ideas to ideascale etc and I appreciate a buy out leads to a period of adjustment... but throw us a bone please!

I fear that this ship has sailed already.  I have a lesser pile of products, many from Line6 and it would be larger but I've sold a lot off for pennies on the dollar.  Digital gear is great when it's new, but it fades fast once it starts to lose that glow.  For example, you say here that you have a whole "dream rig" but if it truly was a dream rig, you wouldn't be looking for an upgrade, right?  You'd presumably be living "the dream" and playing it lol...Nothing against you (or anyone) mind you, but my point is chasing the digital dragon will always leave one unsatisfied I believe, unless you like the kool-aid as is.

Line 6 for their part are probably wise to this, and what better market to tap into than the younger I-Thingy crowd that hasn't learned this lesson yet?  They will (and have) fix minor issues to keep folks happy and for all I know, they are working on "The Next Big Thing", but I doubt it.  It will be incremental change at best, perhaps remarketed as Super HD. 

This is just my opinion, but I arrived at it by staring at the lesser pile of digital gear I had acquired over the years.

• Upvote 1

They are surely working on many things behind the scenes... i'm confident when i say that Amplifi is not intended to be their flagship product or primary focus.

It is their latest offering, and the one that they are investing in and establishing at the moment, it's that simple.

I thought Line 6 already stated Amplifi was not intended to be replacement for the Pod HD series. As far as I could see the Dream rig is still the flagship product. The Amplifi is intended for different market than the POD and DT amps. Now that doesn't mean they are going to drop a lot of time and $$$ into free upgrades for those that already bought the product. Maybe they will throw a little bone to us here and there. They will likely take the ideas and request and put them into a updated version with updated hardware. That is just the name of the game in the digital market. If you buy any digitial hardware setups you need to buy it for what it can do today, not what it will do tommorow.  This is really the same for any musical gear. If you bought a Marshall Super lead back in the day, it didn't sound like a JCM 800 did. If you wanted the JCM 800 sound you had to buy and JCM 800.  The same is true here. Get the gear you really want sound wise and use it, missing features and all. Sure your taste may change over time and then like all of us probably get Gear Acquistion Syndrome and buy new stuff.  I've seen quite a few people complain about the support on older products, but it's not totally fair to L6. They can't support stuff forever. The older gear, assuming it doesn't have an issue, still sounds exactly like it did when it was the newest and latest thing. It's just not the new and latest thing anymore. I go by a local Jam session from time to time and one of the other guys there brings in a old Line6 amp and small foot controller for us to use. It's old but still sounds pretty good. Maybe not as good as my HD/DT combo but I still enjoying paying thought it.

• Upvote 1

Nothing against you (or anyone) mind you, but my point is chasing the digital dragon will always leave one unsatisfied I believe, unless you like the kool-aid as is.

Depends on what you mean by satisfaction. I think buying a modeler with the expectation that this will be that last guitar device you'll ever need isn't really what anyone is doing, or at least I hope not. These things are best looked at as tools that have a useful life and will eventually have to be replaced. That's a little different, I guess than a typical guitar and tube amp, but even those things if they're used a lot will need regular maintenance and upkeep. The difference with modelers is that it's a technology driven business in a way traditional guitars and amps aren't.

But, anyway, I agree with Zap. I have no reason to believe Line 6 is done developing new products, even ones for the higher end of the market.

Depends on what you mean by satisfaction. I think buying a modeler with the expectation that this will be that last guitar device you'll ever need isn't really what anyone is doing, or at least I hope not. These things are best looked at as tools that have a useful life and will eventually have to be replaced. That's a little different, I guess than a typical guitar and tube amp, but even those things if they're used a lot will need regular maintenance and upkeep. The difference with modelers is that it's a technology driven business in a way traditional guitars and amps aren't.

But, anyway, I agree with Zap. I have no reason to believe Line 6 is done developing new products, even ones for the higher end of the market.

You know Phil, here's the thing....people state (online and in person to me anyway) many times that they buy digital gear because it is cheaper and easier than simply acquiring the amps and effects they really want...would you agree you've heard that a bazillion times yourself?  But I ask, is it cheaper or easier to continually rebuy the latest incarnation of digital wizardry while the last wonderful product you are leaving behind either sits there unused (in a pile) or you sell it for pennies on the dollar?  By contrast, I have a 1973 Vibro Champ that is worth FAR more now than when it was brand new.  Also, I recently sold my 59 Bassman reissue after having it for 9 years  for exactly what I paid for it.  The only reason I sold it is because I don't need that kind of volume anymore so I essentially traded it for a brand new Princeton Reverb that I just love that I am sure will be worth plenty in another 10 years.

My point is simply this;  The OP said he had a pile of old Line 6 gear, including a Dream Rig and he is afraid Line 6 will leave him in the lurch with this "old gear" and not pursue the high end pro user market as vigorously. Now, I haven't done all the math on what he listed just from Line 6 he has invested in already, but "cheap" isn't likely to be part of the answer.  Plus, he doesn't sound truly satisfied with what he has because he is feeling "less love" from the mothership at Line 6.  Again, nothing against him for this intended, but how many posts like this, and others where people who once "absolutely loved" their new gear now can't wait to get something new have YOU seen?

he's got exactly as much love as he purchased.... and maybe more, depending on when he bought it...

while i don't disagree entirely with what you're saying...

i think people's expectation is what primarily leads to their disappointment.

if you expect your current stuff to always be the latest and greatest... that expectation is a bit much...

although if you're saying you want a new latest and greatest hardware offering from line6 etc...

then it feeds into the whole disposable/cheap point you are making... 

besides L6 just got purchased by Yamaha...

don't think that Yamaha would buy a company that didn't have a plan for the future....

Plus, he doesn't sound truly satisfied with what he has because he is feeling "less love" from the mothership at Line 6.  

Nothing against you (or anyone) mind you, but my point is chasing the digital dragon will always leave one unsatisfied I believe, unless you like the kool-aid as is.

Funny how just because you were unable to find satisfaction with your setup the rest of us (suckers) are somehow drinking "kool-aid" as in the poor victims of Jim Jones lured to their death by false promises. There is a place for both digital and analog.  I just get tired of the subliminal innuendo that because many of us actually like our digital gear and are able to use it effectively we are either audibly challenged or simply delusional... 

If you are done with your L6 gear, move on and find another board that supports what you like to do instead of constantly beating this dead horse.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

besides L6 just got purchased by Yamaha...

don't think that Yamaha would buy a company that didn't have a plan for the future....

Unless Yamaha (the huge International conglomerate megacorp) one day does some math and decides that liquidating/absorbing Line6 assets into their own modelling efforts would be a better bet than not doing that.  I'm not saying it ever will, but don't for a second think it CAN'T happen either.

Your point about "getting as much love as he purchased" is well taken and spot on, and the same could always be said of analog gear for decades.  I never expected Fender to provide "continuous product updates" on anything. Ever.  Why would they?  Line6 themselves are partly to blame for this phenomenae by using the product update as part of the marketing though, IMHO. 

Don't get me wrong here, I have no axe to grind with Line 6 and the gear I have is exactly what I expected it to be.  Their build quality is spotty at times, but since it was never designed to be around in 50 years, that isn't surprising to me.

• Upvote 1

You know Phil, here's the thing....people state (online and in person to me anyway) many times that they buy digital gear because it is cheaper and easier than simply acquiring the amps and effects they really want...would you agree you've heard that a bazillion times yourself?  But I ask, is it cheaper or easier to continually rebuy the latest incarnation of digital wizardry while the last wonderful product you are leaving behind either sits there unused (in a pile) or you sell it for pennies on the dollar?  By contrast, I have a 1973 Vibro Champ that is worth FAR more now than when it was brand new.  Also, I recently sold my 59 Bassman reissue after having it for 9 years  for exactly what I paid for it.  The only reason I sold it is because I don't need that kind of volume anymore so I essentially traded it for a brand new Princeton Reverb that I just love that I am sure will be worth plenty in another 10 years.

My point is simply this;  The OP said he had a pile of old Line 6 gear, including a Dream Rig and he is afraid Line 6 will leave him in the lurch with this "old gear" and not pursue the high end pro user market as vigorously. Now, I haven't done all the math on what he listed just from Line 6 he has invested in already, but "cheap" isn't likely to be part of the answer.  Plus, he doesn't sound truly satisfied with what he has because he is feeling "less love" from the mothership at Line 6.  Again, nothing against him for this intended, but how many posts like this, and others where people who once "absolutely loved" their new gear now can't wait to get something new have YOU seen?

As far as selling stuff for pennies on the dollar, I've to say that when I have sold stuff, even digital stuff, I've actually not had too bad of luck. I usually am able to get 50-70% of what I've paid for it.

But the whole reason I use the digital equipment is simply because it has feature and capabilities that either don't exist at all in the analog world or if they do exist are prohibitively expensive. For example, to sync an analog delay with an an analog tremolo or some other time-based effect is pretty much impossible. With current digital gear, it's easy. That's just one example. I use the stuff I use because it makes my life easier. If it doesn't do that for people, than, by all means, they should use whatever does for them.

As far as people wanting something new, that's just human nature. People like getting new stuff. I also would say that I don't think that most tube amps that are being today are going to hold their value like vintage amps do. The construction methods are just very different. A Princeton Reverb built today probably has more in common with something like the DT25 than it does a vintage Princeton Reverb.

• Upvote 1

Funny how just because you were unable to find satisfaction with your setup the rest of us (suckers) are somehow drinking "kool-aid" as in the poor victims of Jim Jones lured to their death by false promises. There is a place for both digital and analog.  I just get tired of the subliminal innuendo that because many of us actually like our digital gear and are able to use it effectively we are either audibly challenged or simply delusional... 

If you are done with your L6 gear, move on and find another board that supports what you like to do instead of constantly beating this dead horse.

What's even funnier is why you would care what I said to someone else. 

I didn't say he was a victim, you did.  And look around my friend, this "dead horse" gets debated hammer and tongs accross the webosphere every single day.  Or does my opinion make your enjoyment of your gear less somehow?  I am neither audibly challenged nor delusional...I see things for what they are and if you can't deal with that, I am truly sorry.  Lastly, I didn't say I was done with my Line 6 gear -- I use it all the time.  What I said, or was trying to say is that buying digital gear in an ongoing effort for many people and that if the OP was happy with the "Dream Rig" he wouldn't really care what (if anything) Line 6 did ever again.  So lighten up and enjoy the discussion which is all this is, as opposed to the personal afront you seem to think it is.

As far as selling stuff for pennies on the dollar, I've to say that when I have sold stuff, even digital stuff, I've actually not had too bad of luck. I usually am able to get 50-70% of what I've paid for it.

But the whole reason I use the digital equipment is simply because it has feature and capabilities that either don't exist at all in the analog world or if they do exist are prohibitively expensive. For example, to sync an analog delay with an an analog tremolo or some other time-based effect is pretty much impossible. With current digital gear, it's easy. That's just one example. I use the stuff I use because it makes my life easier. If it doesn't do that for people, than, by all means, they should use whatever does for them.

As far as people wanting something new, that's just human nature. People like getting new stuff.

I did OK on sales, but the longer it sits in the pile the harder it is to flip. 

Yeah, that's why I will keep my JTV59 and HD500 -- the ability to try new things and combinations like a Sitar through a Marshall SL with a Supro 6x9 cab with an Echorec just because lol.  THAT part is very cool and can be a hell of a distration when I ought to be practicing. 

I like getting new stuff too...

What's even funnier is why you would care what I said to someone else. 

Personal affront?  No, just a lame comment bro... No my friend, you said using digital would leave one unsatisfied unless one drinks the kool aid.  That implies that one can only be satisfied with this gear if one is drinking the kool aid aka delusional.  And its not just you but seems to be a number of folks that prefer analog generally imply that the rest of us are somehow missing the boat or not really paying attention.  If you thought you were having a private conversation then you should be using PM.

I also don't think its fair to say the OP is unsatisfied with his gear just because he hopes the manufacturer doesn't forget about us...  and it is a feature completely unique to digital gear to even be able to submit ideas for improvement or new features.  I don't see any analog or tube manufacturers taking input from their customers or the customers expecting or anticipating any kind of enhancements to what they bought.  The fact that we can comment and have such a great forum is indicative more of the capabilities of this gear rather than the limitations of it...

How upset would customers be if they purchased a product for $1000 or more and it was replaced two years later?

Actually, they did exactly that when they replaced the HD500 with the HD500x that had a better processor which gave more processing power, sturdier footswitches that apparently break less often and substantial visual enhancements like LED lit switches and a more readable font on the unit.  For the same money that others paid for, well not all that.

• Upvote 1

Actually, they did exactly that when they replaced the HD500 with the HD500x that had a better processor which gave more processing power, sturdier footswitches that apparently break less often and substantial visual enhancements like LED lit switches and a more readable font on the unit.  For the same money that others paid for, well not all that.

Well, actually it was more like three years between the time the HD500 and HD500X releases. But, fundamentally, it's no different than buying a laptop, except that with a laptop you're guaranteed that the model you buy today will be replaceed with a newer model within a year. You're also lucky if a laptop has any resale value at all. I've actually never sold an old laptop. I just junk them when I'm done with them.

All these things are computers when you get down to it, but at least guitar gear does have a longer lifespan than a typical computer.

• Upvote 1

Personal affront?  No, just a lame comment bro... No my friend, you said using digital would leave one unsatisfied unless one drinks the kool aid.  That implies that one can only be satisfied with this gear if one is drinking the kool aid aka delusional.  And its not just you but seems to be a number of folks that prefer analog generally imply that the rest of us are somehow missing the boat or not really paying attention.  If you thought you were having a private conversation then you should be using PM.

I also don't think its fair to say the OP is unsatisfied with his gear just because he hopes the manufacturer doesn't forget about us...  and it is a feature completely unique to digital gear to even be able to submit ideas for improvement or new features.  I don't see any analog or tube manufacturers taking input from their customers or the customers expecting or anticipating any kind of enhancements to what they bought.  The fact that we can comment and have such a great forum is indicative more of the capabilities of this gear rather than the limitations of it...

My quote: ".Nothing against you (or anyone) mind you, but my point is chasing the digital dragon will always leave one unsatisfied I believe, unless you like the kool-aid as is."

Is English your second language by chance, because it's clear there that I said "I BELIEVE" and "NOTHING AGAINST HIM (OR ANYONE)" which pretty much puts it in the realm of  MY OPINION WITH ZERO MALICE. Also, by saying "LIKING THE KOOL-AID AS IS" I am implying that if you like what you buy and expect nothing better then you are NOT chasing the dragon.  Sheesh.

So other than that, I agree with you on most of the rest.  This IS a good forum and BTW, I haven't posted here in months until today.  And if you read the whole conversation, you'll see I said the same thing aabout expecting analog gear makers to provide anyone updates.  That idea is ridiculous, no doubt.  I don't think you're delusional at all.  It sounds like you've found exactly what you want and it makes you happy, other than talking about it I guess.  Why the angst?  It is a discussion, not a witch hunt and as I said -- I still use my Line6 gear practically every day -- I've just adjusted my own expectations of it based on my own personal world view on the matter.

I wouldn't call that replacing the unit, people were complaining about the DSP issues and the foot switch problem. It's the same unit and for those that have the HD500, you are not missing out on anything.

Exept 20% more processing power and switches that actually might not break off one day.  But other than that, yeah they're twins.

"it's no different than buying a laptop"

I would say that's it's quite different, you can simply move your files over to the new laptop and keep going without missing a beat. Not so with your tones that you create with a particular modeling device that moves to a new generation of processor's and software. The tones won't be compatible and if they did work on the new device, they certainly wouldn't sound the same.

The HD500 and 500X aside as they are the same unit.

I'm not trying to be beligerant here, but what part of 20% more processing power on the HD500x than is available on the HD500 is so hard to understand?  They are most certainly NOT the same unit as the underlying microprocessor is different.  That's like saying an i5 and i3 Intel CPU are the same because they are both in a laptop.

I'm not trying to be beligerant here, but what part of 20% more processing power on the HD500x than is available on the HD500 is so hard to understand?  They are most certainly NOT the same unit as the underlying microprocessor is different.  That's like saying an i5 and i3 Intel CPU are the same because they are both in a laptop.

I'll chime in here and agree with this, being the owner of both the HD500 and HD500X. The 20% increase in DSP is more significant than at first glance. Twenty-percent, when looked at as just a number, doesn't seem like a very big deal. But when looked at in terms of increased sonic creativity and increased tonal possibilities, it it nothing to just scoff at. Going back to using an HD500, for me, would be difficult at best.

I'll chime in here and agree with this, being the owner of both the HD500 and HD500X. The 20% increase in DSP is more significant than at first glance. Twenty-percent, when looked at as just a number, doesn't seem like a very big deal. But when looked at in terms of increased sonic creativity and increased tonal possibilities, it it nothing to just scoff at. Going back to using an HD500, for me, would be difficult at best.

Yeah, I can see that myself although I have rarely hit the DSP limit and don't gig so my buttons survive their daily pressures (see what I did there lol).  My main point is that the HD500 and HD500x are most decidedly NOT the same box.

smrybacki on the difference between the 500 and the 500X:

11:48 AM  "they're twins"

11:54 AM   "most certainly NOT the same"

I'm concerned about you, smrybacki. Maybe someone's spiking your cheese steaks.

OK, where the lollipop is the "sarcasm" button....what I said was:

"Exept 20% more processing power and switches that actually might not break off one day.  But other than that, yeah they're twins."

So, when I said they were twins, I was being sarcastic because just before that I said they had significant processing power differences and different footswitches.

Be more concerned for yourself.  I'm fine.

Guitarist/Producer etc...Pete Anderson has used and continues to use 2 first generation kidney bean PODs with a THD power amp and 1 or 2 1x12 cabs He can use anything he wants to use.I still use my POD 2.0 live sometimes and my son records with it. I play an HD500 sometimes into FRFR or tube amps/I also play live/record(in a studio) an M13 into tube amps. I am grateful for all these tools.Updates are cool but I don't expect or need them to play 100 live dates and lots of studio gigs every year. Let's remember that for guitar players 80 per cent of what you do is in your hands not in an update of an amp model from Line 6.For me to be able to impart the characteristics of 20 different amp models into the power section of one of my tube amps is nothing short of a miracle. Now if you want to get upset and be disappointed by a music equipment manufacturer go buy 5,000 dollars worth of Roland /Boss guitar gear and wait for your update.Tis' a great time to be a guitar player!

• Upvote 2

....of course eventually some new rock/ pop/ hip hop whatever star will have a hugely successful recording using some old Line 6 tech...maybe a flexsys or a gen 1 pod and suddenly the second hand price will rise and forums all over the interwb will be discussing how much better it sounds than current models....

Or it might be the old Yamaha digital amps and everyone will be demanding Yamaha models in the superpod2000xxxx

Nothing new in any of this

Btw I love my 500X.

Just to clarify what I meant when posting this:

1) I am happy with my line 6 gear (wouldn't have bought so much of it if I wasn't). That said there has been an element of having to return or repair faulty gear, usb on the 500, bad switch on the JTV variax, bad switch on the M5 etc. I am hoping that the Yamaha tie up will improve the general QA as I've never had a similar issue with my Yamaha products.
2) Re updates, we have seen some improvements to the dream rig but as someone said here the 500 and 500x are basically the same, I bought a zoom ms50g when it came out and they recently the added an extra 50 or so effects and amps to it, which is a really great update and makes it great value, people have been asking for new amps and effects all over idea scale, it hasn't happened for a while, and the focus is definitely marketing and improving the amplifi. M range too I'm unaware of any major update there other than bug fixes. Bug fixes aren't value updates, they are necessary fixes to remove programming issues.
3) I'm not likely to buy more line 6 gear if this will be the case in the future, of course technology improves and sometimes updates have to be breaking as the hardware can't support it, I'm just not seeing any serious dedication to taking care of existing customers.

Finally, living here in Japan I've recently seen a bunch of price drops for line 6 gear JTV variax, stage scape and older pod hd's, I'm just wondering if someone knows something I don't

... Let's remember that for guitar players 80 per cent of what you do is in your hands not in an update of an amp model from Line 6.....Tis' a great time to be a guitar player!...

absolutely more than true!  after all, it's all abt playing the guitar...

I use the hell out of my gear, playing several gigs a week, and I really can't complain about the value I got from my HD. I'm finally getting modeled tone pretty damn close to my old rack of Mesa amps and outboard fx, at a tiny fraction of the cost and weight, so I'm a happy camper. Honestly I was pretty impressed with the original bean. It could do some things no amp could do.

Our product roadmap includes plenty of professional-level products. And they will include many features culled from IdeaScale (and this very forum).

Can't speak for others at Line 6, but I've played more guitar in the past nine months with AMPLIFi 150 in my living room than the previous five years. My playing chops have gotten better. My tonesculpting chops have gotten immen...

[While typing this very post, Tool's "Stinkfist" started playing. I grabbed my Jaguar, and the tone for "Stinkfist" had already downloaded and was ready to go. The next song wasn't as inspiring, so I put down the guitar and went back to...]

...sely better.

Let's be honest here. Guitar music is struggling. There are fewer guitarists now than ever. You can count the number of guitar-based songs on the Billboard Top 40 on one hand. And guitarists are Line 6's lifeblood. With AMPLIFi, we sought...

[Sorry. Failure's "The Nurse Who Loved Me"]

...to inspire all guitarists, from beginners in their bedrooms all the way to rock stars on their tour busses—to play more. We want more guitarists. We want new guitarists. Instead of randomly checking Facebook or Reddit, we want people to randomly pick up a guitar and play along with their favorite songs with the tones of their favorite songs. Instead of driving to a practice space, or heading down to a dank basement studio, we want AMPLIFi to be where you are. If that's your living room, we want it there. If that's your dorm room, we want it there. If that's your office, we want it there. If it was safe to play guitar while stuck in traffic, we'd make one powered from your car's lighter!

From someone with access to millions of dollars of amps, pedals, and high-end outboard and effects, I still play through AMPLIFi most often. Twice, in fact, while writing this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

that's a good pitch.You have definitely found the sweet spot for selling the Amplifi.  I have a JTV, HD500, DT25, stereo power amp, PA speakers and a 50w tube combo.  I love my gear with no complaints.  But you touch on a good point that if I want to just grab it and rip to what's in my library, its not quite that simple.  The concept of a simple all in one amp that does what the Amplifi does is good.

However, it doesn't use HD tech and it doesn't integrate with my JTV.  While I might spend time using it, nothing would transfer and I would be stuck having to recreate it all over again on the HD500.  I don't want to add another piece of incompatible gear.  I can't stream from Google Play and match tones, I have to have the song downloaded already on an Apple product which I don't own so that;s out...  Every time I try to talk myself into getting one, and your pitch is tempting, I end up back at the same point where it just doesn't work for me.

If you guys end up making one with HD that integrates with my HD500 and my JTV I might be interested.  Then again you already did, its called the L series.  Maybe you just add the blue tooth streaming, tone matching and the stereo to an L2t and I will place the first order...

PS:  I'll buy the I-pad/I-phone to go with it too...

technology moves on.., and as there is nobody saying that the current equipment and techonology is perfect, then there is room for Line 6 to introduce the next version of POD..with better models, better connectivity and of course better performance.

the HD series has been around for long enough that its not likely to generate sufficient additional revenue over the next few years... a new replacement POD series in 2015 however would do just that.

I have limited to zero interest in ios connectivity... call it <5% compared to 100% desire for the ability to

a) switch my amps gain channel on/off, or

b. the ability to have cab modeling on headphone outs, but not on 1/4" outs, or

c) have the metronome to be audible for practice, or

d) the ability to have a small amount of space to import drum loops, or

e) the looper to have midi sync, or

f)  the looper to have save slots, or

g) the looper to have some actual length to it measured in minutes.......

you know..the small, effective things that make a huge difference, rather than the glitzy items.

• Upvote 1

Our product roadmap includes plenty of professional-level products. And they will include many features culled from IdeaScale (and this very forum).

Can't speak for others at Line 6, but I've played more guitar in the past nine months with AMPLIFi 150 in my living room than the previous five years. My playing chops have gotten better. My tonesculpting chops have gotten immen...

[While typing this very post, Tool's "Stinkfist" started playing. I grabbed my Jaguar, and the tone for "Stinkfist" had already downloaded and was ready to go. The next song wasn't as inspiring, so I put down the guitar and went back to...]

...sely better.

Let's be honest here. Guitar music is struggling. There are fewer guitarists now than ever. You can count the number of guitar-based songs on the Billboard Top 40 on one hand. And guitarists are Line 6's lifeblood. With AMPLIFi, we sought...

[Sorry. Failure's "The Nurse Who Loved Me"]

...to inspire all guitarists, from beginners in their bedrooms all the way to rock stars on their tour busses—to play more. We want more guitarists. We want new guitarists. Instead of randomly checking Facebook or Reddit, we want people to randomly pick up a guitar and play along with their favorite songs with the tones of their favorite songs. Instead of driving to a practice space, or heading down to a dank basement studio, we want AMPLIFi to be where you are. If that's your living room, we want it there. If that's your dorm room, we want it there. If that's your office, we want it there. If it was safe to play guitar while stuck in traffic, we'd make one powered from your car's lighter!

From someone with access to millions of dollars of amps, pedals, and high-end outboard and effects, I still play through AMPLIFi most often. Twice, in fact, while writing this.

It's a good pitch, but it is just a pitch, I just plug my HD500 into monitors, or use my Yamaha THR10 (which also fits in a back pack and can be used in the park on batteries). How do you use an Amplifi on a tour bus??  You pitched the dream rig as the ultimate gigging/recording guitarists dream, my hd500 and jtv variax had issues out of warranty, I've also a KB37 that went back for repair, the transport buttons still don't work.... If I had an Amplifi for free I'm sure I'd use it loads! but given that I'm neither a product tester or Line 6 employee, I'm speaking from a customers perspective. I'm just saying Line 6 appears to be all about the new shiny stuff, we like the old stuff too, know what, if I'd had a better experience or if you were showing generosity with improvements on the hd series etc (I'm not talking about fixing the tuner bug) I'd probably have an amplifi already, see the connection? take the money and run.... or lifetime customer/consumer, by your own argument there are less guitarists now.... might it not make sense to keep them happy if they are your bottom line? 

, you can simply move your files over to the new laptop and keep going without missing a beat.

Sure, now watch while i just plug my scsi sampler into my laptop. and copy the win3.1 drivers over and keep going without missing a beat. I've a parallel port printer too. And a firewire soundcard. Ghosted disk images of a fat16 partition. I like my word documents from the mid ninties. My dos games all just copy over ok, no missed beats there. My 28.8k modem just keeps making its squealing noises and dialing up AOL. Lucky my childhood videos are all on betamax, and videos of my children all h.264. Won't be any missed beats there either.

• Downvote 1

Amplifi for the masses to encourage new guitar players... err no actually only for 12% of them because rest don't have iOS devices with the majority (85%) using Android if viewed on a worldwide scale.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/24134/20140801/android-vs-ios-market-share-google-apple.htm

"In the Android vs. iOS debate, Google's mobile platform has long won in terms of market share. So the news that Google's lead of the smartphone market has inched ever higher is a bit ho hum. But in any case, a new report shows that Android's global market share reached a record 84.6 percent last quarter at the expense of all other mobile OS platforms including Apple's iOS, Microsoft's Windows Phone and Blackberry"

Igloo - I am sure that you really enjoy having your Amplifi in your living room, and I would have had one by now too... except me and my kids only have Android devices so we bought a competitors practice amp instead and make do with twiddling the knobs on it while streaming audio on the surround sound system.

How many times does Line 6 need to be told the Android support is essential?

• Upvote 2

i'm sure this is the first they've heard of this.... REALLY?  :rolleyes:

i'm sure they've looked into this and any other possible system...

i think PC and MAC would probably even outpace your precious android.

they are likely working on it.... but it's not ready.... if it ever will be...

until then... moving forward with something that works for you is the right thing for you to do...

no reason to be angry about it...

Amplifi for the masses to encourage new guitar players... err no actually only for 12% of them because rest don't have iOS devices with the majority (85%) using Android if viewed on a worldwide scale.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/24134/20140801/android-vs-ios-market-share-google-apple.htm

"In the Android vs. iOS debate, Google's mobile platform has long won in terms of market share. So the news that Google's lead of the smartphone market has inched ever higher is a bit ho hum. But in any case, a new report shows that Android's global market share reached a record 84.6 percent last quarter at the expense of all other mobile OS platforms including Apple's iOS, Microsoft's Windows Phone and Blackberry"

Igloo - I am sure that you really enjoy having your Amplifi in your living room, and I would have had one by now too... except me and my kids only have Android devices so we bought a competitors practice amp instead and make do with twiddling the knobs on it while streaming audio on the surround sound system.

How many times does Line 6 need to be told the Android support is essential?

We want new guitarists. Instead of randomly checking Facebook or Reddit, we want people to randomly pick up a guitar and play along with their favorite songs with the tones of their favorite songs

Yea, I get the allure of Amplifi and see the market for it. However; please don't forget the musicain's who could careless about [insert famuos guitarist here]'s tone. I love my Line6 gear because it gives me the tools I need in a simple fairly easy to use, not terribly expensive, and easy to transport box to that I use to create MY tone.  Based on your first statement I assume that is still part of the company perspective. 

• Upvote 1

@Rewolf48

You make a very fine, and relevant point in regards to iOS devices, and I believe you delivered your message neutrally without anger.

Sadly, Line6 aren't the only company getting into an exclusive bed with Apple, Digitech and Zoom are also buying into this path and

also leaving a massive gap to those who rely on Android devices, but my form of protest against this move won't be to get *angry*, it

will simply come from my refusal to buy into it, and saying so. Being a POD HD owner tho, I see this move cutting into the good things

Line6 could've put into future-proofing the HD series with a bit more continual focus. End of the day, our needs and business is the

"lifeblood" of any company pitching idea's, we will go where our needs are met, brand-name loyalty never meant much to me personally.

Back to the OP.... it does seem like there is a general waiting for the next leap in MFX tech (without requiring a credit check mind you). 

Big props to Digital_Igloo for his honest post. 

I too hope for the next gen killer L6 unit (no iOS and yes I want a desktop version too) but until then I am sated.

But no worries - where there is a void someone will step up.

-B

oops! I'm sorry .. I was wrong .. I didn't realize that the HD series is no longer the flagship since there is AMPLIFi

None of this is surprising, really. In a perfect world, Line 6 would be in a position to release products from all lines simultaneously, because it'd make our intentions a lot clearer for everyone. We had many conversations about how people may think AMPLIFi was somehow replacing POD, and of course this thread and others confirm it. I can't tell the forum what we're working on, but I can tell them when they're barking up the wrong tree.

One more time: POD HD500X and POD HD Pro X continue to be Line 6's flagship modelers.

There are guitarists who rarely play just for the enjoyment of it—if it's not their über-expensive, meticulously dialed-in session or gigging rig, it's not worth their effort. That makes me sad, because I've been there: Fight LA traffic to the studio, unlock the doors, turn on the amps, set up the mics, boot the DAW, wait for Logic to scan all EXS24 samples, create a new session, aaaand... inspiration's gone. That's not fun—that's work!

Even if your rig's 30 feet away in a spare bedroom, the time between an idea popping into your head and turning on your rig, dialing in an appropriate tone, and playing the first chord is too long. And be honest—for even the most inspired musicians, it's waaaaay easier to just check Facebook, watch Netflix, play a video game, or visit the Line 6 Community forums.

If an awesome-sounding, loud Bluetooth speaker that doubles as a stereo guitar amp that makes you play way more guitar isn't the Line 6 product you're interested in, then wait. No company can do everything at once.

• Upvote 2

Sadly, Line6 aren't the only company getting into an exclusive bed with Apple, Digitech and Zoom are also buying into this path and also leaving a massive gap to those who rely on Android devices...

Obviously, if developing a hardware + software solution for Android was anywhere close to as simple, non-fragmented, secure, and predictable as developing for iOS, everyone would be doing it.

Google's taken a lot of steps in the right direction lately, so things aren't as bleak as they once were.

• Upvote 1