Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Don't dump POD HD users over Amplifi

sedgey

Digital_Igloo, thanks for posting. I get what your saying and I hope AMPLIFI is a success.

This digital world we live in has really mucked up how some people think about gear. Why are you afraid of being dumped?

Do people who own old Strats, Les Pauls, Marshall/Fender amps, TS808s, and old Big Muffs worry about being dumped?

Why is it that in the analog world older gear that sounds great is considered vintage, while in the digital world old gear that sounds great (Pod, XT, X3, etc) is considered obsolete? Especially when right now the direct out of my 2 pod 1.0 units sounds a million times better than the direct out of my HD bean?

We have great gear today that will still be great tomorrow. Tomorrow will bring more options, more power, new ways of doing things, but what we have today is still great and still delivers. You are not being dumped. You have been given great power. Use it!

Spend more time playing, improving your technique, and writing great songs, and less time chasing the lastest software version and Uber HD product........until it's released anyway. :)

I think everyone needs to re-read rogur203's post and this last one.  If you still don't understand then you need to practice your guitar more and not post until you do understand.  Not that practicing the guitar will help you understand, it's just something to do until you do understand.

Why is it that in the analog world older gear that sounds great is considered vintage, while in the digital world old gear that sounds great (Pod, XT, X3, etc) is considered obsolete? Especially when right now the direct out of my 2 pod 1.0 units sounds a million times better than the direct out of my HD bean?

We have great gear today that will still be great tomorrow. Tomorrow will bring more options, more power, new ways of doing things, but what we have today is still great and still delivers. You are not being dumped. You have been given great power. Use it!

Spend more time playing, improving your technique, and writing great songs, and less time chasing the lastest software version and Uber HD product........until it's released anyway. :)

I would say because old digital gear IS old. That's not to say it doesn't sound bad. But in the analog world, there is nothing being modeled. In the digital world, sound is being modeled (in most cases I think) from an analog way of producing sound. So as digital processing gets faster over time, so the quality or ability of digital processing becomes closer to an analog way of making sound.

No better advice than actually engaging with the guitar directly for sure, because that's the first point of contact of creative spark from the human brain to the real world. But for me at least, there are times when practicing just doesn't work because of physical fatigue, emotional state, or any other number of reasons. But I still have the desire to do something related to music. That where chasing the latest software version or Uber HD product comes in sometimes. Got to do something. Besides technology is fascinating and watching it evolve over time is fun fun fun.

Analog has always sounded really good.  It's just expensive, cumbersome, noisy, and a general pain in the arse.  Digital is trying to sound as good as analog without the baggage.  Each digital generation gets closer to this goal which makes the previous generation obsolete and unwanted.

• 3 months later...

Well I had the POD 500X and the Spider 75 Jam and actually trade them both to into the Amplifi 150.  I figured being in a cover band I could not go wrong with the Amplifi. What I flipping mistake this was! Do not get me wrong I love Amplifi, but it's still very limited in what it can do compared to the POD series! Now after finally getting MY JTV89F  Variax I can tell you i'll be switching back to the POD 500X ASAP!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

WRONG WONG....I'm sorry to hear the HD series is probably EOL....WRONG WRONG I HAVE FOUND OUT THIS IS NOT TRUE. I'M LEAVING IT IN BUT PLEASE DISEGARD. but am glad it was said. I've been a Line 6 boy since the XT/Vetta days. Have I had my dissapointments and has Line 6 dropped the ball at times? Yes. Have I gotten my money's worth? Absolutely. But the HD series, aside from sounding good, seems to be a step back. Each POD, from 2.0 to the X3, seemed to always add more options aside fom the modeling. And with firmware upgrades, often added even more. Just kept getting more computer recording and output options.

Now with the EQ situation, no power switch, less ouput and computer recording options than before, etc. It's been a let down in some ways. I am not unhappy with my HD500 or the JTV69 I also own but I think I will sit back and wait awhile before I hop aboard Line 6's latest and greatest like I used to.

I still have my XT bean, XT Live, Vetta, Variax 500, UX2 auidio inteface and X3 live which all have what I consider to still be very good modelling. At the very least, I can pettry much get whatever I need and want out of them, and be happy about it. I haven't used anything but Line 6 for everything since I got my first XT and guitar wise when I got my first Variax so I think I'm good for now.

I have approx. (counting the pre HD models) 102 guitar amps, 39 guitar amp cabs, 29 bass amps, 23 bass amp cabs, six mic preamps, over 100 effects, over 50 guitars with the ability to create my own. Compared to what I had before I'm doing good. Will I get a sound exactly like "Insert name here" JCM800 or whatever else you want to conjure up. Sometimes, maybe. Can I get a sound that, from jazz to folk to folk rock to rock to rock & roll to metal to grunge, ad nauseum, is at worst tolerable and at best, inspiring. Yes I will and have. So again, for now, unless it's fairly mindblowing, I'm good and I'm done. (for now ;))

I'm with you on the "step back" in terms of options both hardware and software.

But, sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward.

That's how I see it.

Do I want the options that were available on the older products? Yes 

The sounds I am using now (HD) trumps the older stuff in spades.

That is way more important to me. I prefer Sound Quality over options.

It is not a perfect world but if you have tools you can work with to get your sound

then it's a done deal.

Also thank you  Digtal_Igloo for your abundance of patience. 

Some people on this thread don't hear what you're saying because it doesn't fit in

with what they're thinking.

Digital_Igloo