Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Output using USB from UX1 and low volume problem

Hi all

I'm hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on a couple of questions that I have.

Firstly I've just upgraded my PC speakers to a set of Alesis M1 active 320 USB monitors. I've found that the only way I can output the guitar tones from POD Farm to the monitors is if I use the 2 x analogue outs from the UX1 and plug them into the 1/4 inch line inputs on the monitors.

I thought there might be a way of discarding the use of cables here as the UX1 goes into my PC via USB and the monitors are outputting via USB? I imagine there is a way of tethering the 2 if I was using some sort of recording software like Reaper etc but most of the time I'm just playing my guitar to a backing track mp3.

This leads me onto the second question.

When playing my guitar to a backing track I find that the output volume of the Pod Farm tone is always quite low compared to the mp3 backing track that I'm playing. So I have to ramp the volume up on my monitors to allow for the low volume of the guitar tone from Pod Farm, but then turn down the volume of the mp3 to get them to a similar level. This was always a problem with the pc speakers that I used to use but now I have some decent monitors it's even more apparent. I've tried turning up the amps used on the individual tones to full volume, turning up the output volume within Pod Farm itself to maximum and turning up the output volume on the UX1. It still doesn't get particularly loud.   

Any help with the above 2 questions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for your response BillBee.

I had a play with ASIO4ALL last night but couldn't see a way of directing the input using the UX1 and the output with the Alesis monitors. 

I also read through the thread in the link but unfortunately there wasn't any clues to solving my situation.

I'll persevere and post back if I have any luck.

Thanks for your help.  :)

ASIO does not work that way... unfortunately you need different speakers...  ASIO requires that the same hardware be used for the input and the output....

even if you managed to make it work as you wish... the quality would be compromised as the timing of your output and inputs would not be controlled by a single internal clock...

ASIO is required for pod farm.

ASIO4ALL attempts to bypass that requirement and control things with a fake software clock...

in other words... ASIO4ALL is not really ASIO at all.

Thanks TheRealZap

I think that answers my first question then and also explains the problems I was having with ASIO4ALL. I just thought there would be a way of inputting my guitar signal into the UX1 then down the USB cable into the pc then back out on the other USB cable to the monitors without the use of an analogue connection between UX1 and monitors. Thanks that clears it up.  :)

Any ideas anyone on the other question I have reference my volume issues between Pod Farm tones and backing mp3's? 

your speakers may have an aux or cd/mp3 in you could use... (not familiar with them specifically)

but when it comes to balancing a backing track i either do so by adding the track into my recording software and using the mixer there...

or adjusting (lowering) the volume on the playback software (itunes, quicktime, windows media player, MPC, videolan,  etc)

Thanks TheRealZap

I think that answers my first question then and also explains the problems I was having with ASIO4ALL. I just thought there would be a way of inputting my guitar signal into the UX1 then down the USB cable into the pc then back out on the other USB cable to the monitors without the use of an analogue connection between UX1 and monitors. Thanks that clears it up.  :)

Any ideas anyone on the other question I have reference my volume issues between Pod Farm tones and backing mp3's? 

Thanks again TheRealZap

I just thought that sound output from the UX1 was quiet quiet compared to the backing tracks. I'll probably do as you say and add the track into my recording software and have a play and see what I come up with.

Thanks for your input on this.  :)