Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax kit for other guitars

Ok. And the electronics the same as the others?

Nope. Do you want a Variax with JTV features? You might as well just buy a JTV.

You want a Variax but can settle for the first gen Variax features? Get a 300.

I BELIEVE the 300 and 600 have the same electronics,

and then the 500 and 700 have the same electronics.

They are very similar, but I think they're different.

All the Variaxes with the hundred number names (300, 500, 600, 700) are first generation Variaxes.

The JTV variaxes (JTV 59, JTV 59P, JTV 69, JTV 69s, JTV 89, JTV 89f) are all the 2nd generation Variaxes which are currently in production and have new features and firmware.

The reason I say get an old Variax for a transplant is because since they are no longer in production and are being replaced with JTV variaxes, the prices are VERY cheap compared to what they used to be, and compared to the JTV series Variaxes. This will allow you to degut a cheap 300 for $100-$200 by buying a used one off ebay.

Line 6 does not sell the guts on it's own, but, there has been companies that make bodies (warmoth guitars) as well as companies that made an external case for a Variax to use like a rack (rackvax).

Good luck, hope this helped.

Great. Thanks for your help. It's a shame they don't supply it as a kit though. I would've thought it more important to get the variax idea out there rather than sell James Tyler guitars. I've got nothing against them other than I would rather use my Gibson kes Paul or my fender tele.

Maybe if your listening line 6 - a retro fit kit for the future.

People have been asking for this for a long time. I don't think it's something Line 6 has any interest in doing. I think the support for such a thing has the potential to be a nightmare. Variax transplants are pretty intensive projects, and I just think that developing a kit that would work for a wide range of body styles and be marketable to the general public would be end up being more hassle than it's worth for them.

Does warmoth still make Variax bodies or is that been long gone?

You need skill when it comes to making a custom body for a Variax. There's routing involved, getting specs down for the guts to lay in.

Even if you had a Variax body already made, you'd need to know how to disassemble and reassemble the guts.

I bet I could do it, but I'm already queezy just opening up the pickguard on my Variax.

Not sure it would really be that hard to do the transplant. I've seen it done with Strat before. Just make sure to pull the batteries let it sit for good while to discharge any caps. Then it's a matter of routing and such to make it fit. The strat I saw had regular pickup's in but they were not connected. It was done to look and feel like a strat but was really a variax under the covers. Also no VDI just standard plug and battery pack.

Of course it was MIM Strat, nothing too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

i think i might just go and buy one and out up with the funky looking instrument. why o h why dont they license this tech to gibson, fender and prs.

The missing piezos aren't that funky looking when you understand why they're not there. I think it's kind of cool. Besides, if you want to do something stupid, you could just print out fake pickup decals like I did with mine.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...