Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thinkng of buying a Line 6 POD X3 (a defective X3 to be exact...)

alex_paoloa

Hello everyone!

Like what the title said, i was thinking of buying a POD X3 as part of my rig for demo recordings (i've heard a lot about the X3 and the POD HD 500 is beyond my reach, budget-wise). Last week, i finally spotted the "kidney bean" model languishing in the bargain corner of a music store near my school. Upon asking about the said X3, the guy managing the store told me that the damned thing us defective. It doesn't turn on. I just want to ask if anyone had an X3 with a defect similar to the one i encountered and if there's a good chance i can have an out-of warranty X3 repaired by someone who can repair multi-effects. i need some advice before i grab my wallet and buy what turned out to be and irreparable multi effects unit. 

i'd say more than likely just a bad power supply.... (although the power switches could also be an issue)

he knows its broke and he's upfront about it... so hopefully it's super cheap!

be aware though that the power supply isn't typical DC universal... the power supply supplies AC power... it's called a line6 PX2

(cross post, man I type slow!!)

Depends on what they're asking and how much of a risk you want to take.

Could be a s simple as a bad PSU.

http://smile.amazon.com/Line-6-PX-2-Power-Supply/dp/B0002PZEGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407158889&sr=8-1&keywords=line6+px2

Or it could be totally bricked and not worth repairing.

The PSU is 9V AC

A common mistake people make is using a 9V DC PSU when the original dies.

Maybe if you could get your hands on a known working PSU if the correct specs you could see if it works, if it doesn't, IMHO  you're better off getting an X3 that is in known working condition.

i'd say more than likely just a bad power supply.... (although the power switches could also be an issue)

he knows its broke and he's upfront about it... so hopefully it's super cheap!

be aware though that the power supply isn't typical DC universal... the power supply supplies AC power... it's called a line6 PX2

(cross post, man I type slow!!)

Depends on what they're asking and how much of a risk you want to take.

Could be a s simple as a bad PSU.

http://smile.amazon.com/Line-6-PX-2-Power-Supply/dp/B0002PZEGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407158889&sr=8-1&keywords=line6+px2

Or it could be totally bricked and not worth repairing.

The PSU is 9V AC

A common mistake people make is using a 9V DC PSU when the original dies.

Maybe if you could get your hands on a known working PSU if the correct specs you could see if it works, if it doesn't, IMHO  you're better off getting an X3 that is in known working condition.

I'm thinking of coming back tomorrow to ask some further questions about the store's X3. i'm REALLY hoping that it's just a PSU or a power switch issue. (i'll ask if they can use the PSU of their POD xt)

Honestly as the guys above said it depends on the price. I've seen broken X3's go for ~ $80 on -bay whereas if you wait you could probably score a working one ~ $120. For ex. I picked up a spare (w/ ps) for ~$80 because of a missing knob.

Good luck on it - I know the allure of a possible deal!

-B

Honestly as the guys above said it depends on the price. I've seen broken X3's go for ~ $80 on -bay whereas if you wait you could probably score a working one ~ $120. For ex. I picked up a spare (w/ ps) for ~$80 because of a missing knob.

Good luck on it - I know the allure of a possible deal!

-B

Thanks, Bill! i'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for a functioning X3 and a damn good deal.

good plan, the XT uses the same power supply... just hope the price doesnt go up if it works! :D

might find an XT being the cheap one then :D

The XT will be my last resort once i find that the X3's bricked, and the store's other branch doesn't an X3 to spare

Update: i just came back from the store. I've been told that they're going to have the X3 serviced for the next 2 months. Turns out the problem was the motherboard and they're gonna try to contact Line 6 for spare parts. Should things go smoothly, the X3 will be in working condition, and the sale price will be 6000 Philippine Pesos from it's original 23,000. Now that's a good deal, provided that they can repair it. Keeping my fingers crossed.