Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X Powered Speaker Recommendation

joepetrucci85

Hi. I've been really wanting to hear more out of my HD500X and this time I'd like to try it out on powered speakers. I'm just really not having that much success using it on a Peavey 2x12. I've never owned an active speaker, or any PA stuff for that matter, and I was wondering if I should get the Alto TS112A, Alto TS115A, Behringer Eurolive B112D, or Mackie Thump 12A. I know some of you guys would say I should save some more and get something like QSC K12 or K10, but that's just not an option right now. If I wanted to spend that much, I would've gotten a used Axe FX Ultra or Kemper instead of the POD. :-D

So, any of you guys tried these? I've heard a lot of good things about the Altos, but they're a bit hard to get in my area so I really want to know if the Behringer or Mackie would be enough? We play mostly 80s/90s rock/metal, but we also do a few modern metal. What I'm trying to say is, a good dist/od tone is my highest priority.

I would give this question the same answer I would give someone that was asking for an ideal amplifier best suited to the POD HD.

There is no right or wrong answer, ultimately, this is a personal voyage you should investigate on your own, through practical

experimentation with all of the options you posted. Sure you can sit here all day splitting hairs with brands/costs/specifications, but

they wont tell you what your ears will tell you, and we're all unique in that regard.

I will say tho, I think most would agree that the POD HD series performs best in an FRFR environment, so go try them all !

I would give this question the same answer I would give someone that was asking for an ideal amplifier best suited to the POD HD.

There is no right or wrong answer, ultimately, this is a personal voyage you should investigate on your own, through practical

experimentation with all of the options you posted. Sure you can sit here all day splitting hairs with brands/costs/specifications, but

they wont tell you what your ears will tell you, and we're all unique in that regard.

I will say tho, I think most would agree that the POD HD series performs best in an FRFR environment, so go try them all !

I really wish I could do that, but here in our country that's just a lot of pain to do. To try out the Mackies, I'd have to drive 2-3 hours north or my area which is doable. But then to try out the Altos, I'd have to take a plane to go to the other island (same country) where they are available. I wish we had GC's here where I could bring my rig and try it out. But it's encouraging that you mentioned ditching the amp/cab is the best suited setup, at least I'm halfway there. :-)

Well if your mostly running amp-sims, FRFR speakers will provide transparency to all your

amp-sims, and the final product in your tone won't be "coloured" in any particular way, like

it would be in a traditional amp/cab setup. I guess the primary specification to note in active

FRFR speakers, is their frequency response curve, which can be directly translated to a higher

cost as the response curve gets closer to a perfect flat-line, which is impossible in the real

world, but they can get close. The flatter the response curve, the more expensive, simple as that.

I can't personally pitch any accurate idea's to you, as we all respond to tone in different

ways, but I can suggest you do thorough homework on them by going to the manufacturers

websites and make individual comparisons, HD (1080) Youtube video's might help too. And

also looking at Pro and User reviews published online, with searches refined to the metal genre.

Well if your mostly running amp-sims, FRFR speakers will provide transparency to all your

amp-sims, and the final product in your tone won't be "coloured" in any particular way, like

it would be in a traditional amp/cab setup. I guess the primary specification to note in active

FRFR speakers, is their frequency response curve, which can be directly translated to a higher

cost as the response curve gets closer to a perfect flat-line, which is impossible in the real

world, but they can get close. The flatter the response curve, the more expensive, simple as that.

I can't personally pitch any accurate idea's to you, as we all respond to tone in different

ways, but I can suggest you do thorough homework on them by going to the manufacturers

websites and make individual comparisons, HD (1080) Youtube video's might help too. And

also looking at Pro and User reviews published online, with searches refined to the metal genre.

Thanks for the info especially about the frequency response, at least there's now an additional reference I could compare those speakers. I've been looking around different forums and a lot of POD and Axe FX guys looks to be happy with the Altos, so I guess I'll really be flying out sometime this weekend to get those. But I'll still look around with your suggestions in mind. Thanks man!

The guaranteed compatible option is Line 6 Stage Source starting with L2m, but it isn't cheap (nor are any of the other powered speakers with active processing). Never heard of anybody that wasn't happy connecting an HD500 to an L2m using a digital connection. Some nice videos if you search for HD500 L2t and perhaps Paul Hindmarsh e.g:

[some people have had a few problems with fan buzz on L2 series, but I don't think they mentioned HD at the same time]

I use the L2M speaker with my HD500X and I get very good results, but as was said earlier, not a cheap option. You could also use any pair of good quality studio monitors (I have Presonus Eris 8's), and that works pretty well, but studio monitors are a little delicate to use live (exposed speaker cones). I have heard good things about the Alto's and the Mackie Thump's as well, but I don't know anyone using them with a HD500. The QSC's are really nice, but also very pricey.

Any good quality FRFR PA speaker will probably work OK - some are better than others, and it's a little subjective as to which ones you think sound best. Any of them will probably sound better than a guitar cab, but you have to EQ a little different when using them.

Your best bet would be to take your HD500 to the store that has some locally and try them out in person. Use the "Studio/Direct" output mode for starters, and try out a couple of patches that you're familiar with, that sound good through headphones to you, so you have something to compare to. You can use just one FRFR speaker, unless you really have to have stereo, to keep the cost down.

still waiting for it to be released but at $350 it looks very promising...

http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/KXD12.aspx

Yes, that also looks like a good possibility. I wasn't aware of those. Not a bad price if they sound good. You probably don't need the effects with the HD500, but they could come in handy. The mixer section is also a plus if you are going to run other things through them.

Yes, that also looks like a good possibility. I wasn't aware of those. Not a bad price if they sound good. You probably don't need the effects with the HD500, but they could come in handy. The mixer section is also a plus if you are going to run other things through them.

Yeah, but the FX may be able to lower the DSP load on the POD by keeping the delay and/or reverb at the amp and you can get a pair of them for less than a L2t...  We will see if and when they get released...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I had a look at the L2T and was intrigued by it. Unfortunately when I checked our local prices, it's too expensive. It's retail price is at PHP 99,998.00 or 2288.811 USD. The Behringer looks promising, but I need something set up in a week or two so I might just end up with the Altos. I just wish that somehow those would be able to handle a bass guitar as well.