Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to JTV - and not impressed

As the rhythm guy in my band I was excited to finally buy a JTV - my band mates kept throwing out songs to add that were played on about a dozen guitar and tuning combos... I thought I was finally going to be down to one guitar. I've had it less than a week and think I got a lemon. First issue - the battery wasn't lasting more than about 4 hours. And now it has gone completely haywire. I was running through the set list and when I changed the tuning knob the volume started cutting in and out, and it won't tune to any recognizable tuning. The battery was at 2 lights, I tried powering down, unplugging everything (incl. battery) and reconnecting, no change. This thing is a dud and there is no way I am trusting it live in front of an audience. 

Thankfully I purchased the extended warranty from Guitar Center. It's going back tomorrow!

Anyone else have anything like this happen?

• Upvote 1

The battery may be a dud. The other behaviour may just be corrupt firmware, but since you have the extended warranty I think your best bet is to have the JTV replaced. Are you sure your JTV is brand new?  Guitar Center is somewhat notorious for simply reselling returned equipment as new. But your JTV may indeed be a lemon, perhaps previously returned.

Once you get a properly functioning JTV you will be able to trust it.

As the rhythm guy in my band I was excited to finally buy a JTV - my band mates kept throwing out songs to add that were played on about a dozen guitar and tuning combos... I thought I was finally going to be down to one guitar. I've had it less than a week and think I got a lemon. First issue - the battery wasn't lasting more than about 4 hours. And now it has gone completely haywire. I was running through the set list and when I changed the tuning knob the volume started cutting in and out, and it won't tune to any recognizable tuning. The battery was at 2 lights, I tried powering down, unplugging everything (incl. battery) and reconnecting, no change. This thing is a dud and there is no way I am trusting it live in front of an audience. 

Thankfully I purchased the extended warranty from Guitar Center. It's going back tomorrow!

Anyone else have anything like this happen?

It's always possible to get a lemon. Don't let that discourage you from the Variax. Find a proper Variax and head off from there. I'm sure you'll enjoy one that works properly.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all who replied. I will get another and go form there. In the meantime, it is back to lugging a bunch of gear! On the bright side, lugging a bunch of gear means I have a bunch of gear, and that's just cool.

Definitely lemons out there. I just played a JTV-69 at Guitar Center that was supposedly "New". It sounded okay, but the volume knob did not work at all when using the mag, and the model selector switch top fell out.

Never hesitate to send it back or get a replacement. It's annoying, but these guitars are not best in terms of quality control.

So I took it to CG on my lunch break this afternoon and of course it worked flawlessly! They suggested re-syncing and updating the firmware. I agreed, but told them if it happens again I will insist on a new guitar. I can't have it in need of a firmware update half way through a set-list. We'll see how it goes from here - thanks to all for the great responses!

• Upvote 1

Depending if you have an HD500 you may want to try the VDI route as it can also change your guitar emulation for you along with amp set-up.  It does sound like you got a bad one.  I have both a 59 and 89F and they have behaved flawlessly.