Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mobile Keys direct to M20D - Possible?

This question covers multiple Line6 product lines...

Our Keyboard player runs his Yamaha stage piano direct into the 1/4 inch input on the M20D .. no prob.. sounds great with the stock Keyboard EQ settings.

He's shopping for a new Keyboard (like MobileKeys) so he can play B3 Organ sounds from garageband patches on his IPAD simultaneously.

We want to hook him directly into the M20D like his main board.  Can you even hook the MobileKeys directly to the M20D since there aren't any 1/4 outs on the MobileKeys?

If it's not possible.. could we use the SonicPort (which is crazy fun on it's own) and run throught that?

sorry for the dumb question.. i'm just a guitar guy who pulls sound duty.    I know less than nothing about keys, MIDI, etc..

No - you can't connect directly. Mobile Keys is a MIDI controller; it produces no audio by itself. The audio is generated by an external device (like you computer/iPad) and/or software (like Garageband) which receives the midi data and translates it into sound. Sonic Port is not a midi device either.

But you could connect your Mobile Keys to your iPad running Garageband and then connect the iPad audio output to an M20d stereo channel input or its Aux input.

wow.. thanks for the quick reply!

so 1/8th in out from the IPAD (headphone jack basically) into the 1/8th Aux in on the M20D? 

That would have to be a long 1/8th inch Aux cable... is there a distance limitation on sound quality?  The Keybard is at least 25 feet from where the mixer sits.

You could do from headphone jack to the headphone jack in the m20d, or headphone jack to TWO 1/4in jacks (stereo feed) used in two inputs on the m20d.  (If you don't need stereo, only plug one in)

What you want to avoid is the headphone jack to ONE 1/4in jack.  The balanced TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) used as line inputs is NOT the same as a stereo send on one plug.

For a longer send (there'a reason guitarCables are max 18.5'), I'd use the headphone out of iPad -->  1/4in stereo jack --> stereo DI box --> two xlr cables to the m20d.

For a longer send (there'a reason guitarCables are max 18.5'), I'd use the headphone out of iPad -->  1/4in stereo jack --> stereo DI box --> two xlr cables to the m20d.

Ditto. Though I have a specific set of cables made up for this:

3/8" stereo to 2x 1/4" mono TS jacks

2 channel DI box

2 channel multicore cable with XLR F on the DI box end to 1/4" TRS jack at the M20d end and I then input into 13/14 as a stereo pair.

For this kind of application, you are unlikely to need the full FX processing capabilities of 1-12 (your source signal is likely already highly processed) so leaving 1-12 free for mics etc seemed preferable to me. I us the same 2 channel multicore cable and DI box for our keyboard player, the 3/4" stereo to 2x 1/4" mono cable being one I just "have" in my bag of tricks for when I'm hiring out and people want to connect up other sound sources like laptops etc.

Ditto. Though I have a specific set of cables made up for this:

3/8" stereo to 2x 1/4" mono TS jacks

2 channel DI box

2 channel multicore cable with XLR F on the DI box end to 1/4" TRS jack at the M20d end and I then input into 13/14 as a stereo pair.

For this kind of application, you are unlikely to need the full FX processing capabilities of 1-12 (your source signal is likely already highly processed) so leaving 1-12 free for mics etc seemed preferable to me. I us the same 2 channel multicore cable and DI box for our keyboard player, the 3/4" stereo to 2x 1/4" mono cable being one I just "have" in my bag of tricks for when I'm hiring out and people want to connect up other sound sources like laptops etc.

As a sound guy, I still say have that extra processing if you have the space in the board.  Most of the time with instruments, the inputs are beautifully processed for a clean room with no other instruments, but for a loud bar mixed with other instruments around having that extra control can mean a huge difference in the sound quality of the final FoH mix.  Though I will agree if space is tight, this would be one of the first things I'd move to the line ins.

As a sound guy, I still say have that extra processing if you have the space in the board.  Most of the time with instruments, the inputs are beautifully processed for a clean room with no other instruments, but for a loud bar mixed with other instruments around having that extra control can mean a huge difference in the sound quality of the final FoH mix.  Though I will agree if space is tight, this would be one of the first things I'd move to the line ins.

Yes, for sure. You are very limited with the processing available on the 1/4" inputs. I had a very full board last weekend, and actually moved the bass to a 1/4" too. It was ok....but wish I could have done a bit more.