Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax sounding like a synth

Are there any Variax "guitar" models that I can use to sound like a synthesizer?  My band is playing some Muse where I need to play the strings/synth part of a song (Uprising).  So far, I've used a HD500 delay model to do auto volume swells which sounds ok, but not great.  Are there any Variax specific options?  Thanks.

Are there any Variax "guitar" models that I can use to sound like a synthesizer?  My band is playing some Muse where I need to play the strings/synth part of a song (Uprising).  So far, I've used a HD500 delay model to do auto volume swells which sounds ok, but not great.  Are there any Variax specific options?  Thanks.

The Variax is not a synthesizer, sampler, or midi guitar. It never has been, it never will be. Big, big misconception.

The only thing that comes close, is the Variax Bass guitars having a built in synth patch. Everything else is signal based, and NOT synthesis or sampling.

It's why it's called a modeling guitar, not a midi/synth guitar.

That would be like calling the POD HD an amp synthesizer, because you assumed it read your guitar signal and then spat out a prerecording of a guitar that was recorded on that amp it's modeling. 

The Variax is is what you hear and play, from the strings all the way out of the output whether if be 1/4 or VDI.

There are ways to get your guitar to do a synth, but this is done through other devices which can be applied to any guitar, not just a Variax. There's the Roland GR-55, the Fishman Tripleplay, Axon devices. The Roland and Axon require a GK pickup or a guitar with a 13 pin out. The Tripleplay is basically a clone of the GK pickup but it doesn't need a device to convert the signal into MIDI except your computer.

• Upvote 1

the synths in the POD HD500 are good IF you set them up right and depending on what you are playing through, preferably FRFR.  There are plenty of decent synth patches on Customtone to work with.  Look at the models in the Filter section, there is a String Synth there you can play with.  You probably won't want to use an amp in your synth patch either.  Instead use compressors, EQ's, distortions and other effects to get the tone you want.  Use the mixer for volume leveling.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

the synths in the POD HD500 are good IF you set them up right and depending on what you are playing through, preferably FRFR.  There are plenty of decent synth patches on Customtone to work with.  Look at the models in the Filter section, there is a String Synth there you can play with.  You probably won't want to use an amp in your synth patch either.  Instead use compressors, EQ's, distortions and other effects to get the tone you want.  Use the mixer for volume leveling.

That's interesting. It honestly never occurred to me not to use amp models for synth patches. I know what I'll be doing when I get home from work tonight!!

These days you can get a real nice used Roland GK pickup/GR20 setup used online for very little money.If you are serious about having those types of sounds(pads/strings etc...) get the real thing.I have played Roland synths for 25 years.I get a lot of gigs subbing for keyboard players because I can do both guitar and synth sounds convincingly.You should check it out.None of the HD500 synth sounds are very good IMHO.The Boss GT series mono synth sounds aren't either.The new Boss GP-10 looks promising as well.

Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

I know it is not the answer wanted, but I just use a real "synth" - well actually my Yamaha Motif XF is more of an advanced "Rompler" as opposed to "Synth" because it uses complex samples as the basis of the sound rather than synthesizing from basic square or sine waves.

Have you thought about just getting a cheap second hand keyboard?