Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

meekie61

Thought I would let you know that the Amplifi 150 functions admirably using the long board as a foot controller. This doesn't seem to have been documented. This also meant that I could circumvent the need of purchasing a short board.

I can only assume that there is no need to have the FBV Shortboard Mark ll as from memory the additional functionality that version has over the original shortboard was MIDI which the Amplifi does not appear to support.

I have yet to experiment in depth but have been able to access the sound banks and each of the 4 presets within them. From my brief trial this morning, Stomp box 1 works but 2 and 3 do not. The reverb, pitch shift/tremolo, modulation and delay buttons all work as they should.

yeah the longboard is no longer sold, and was never tested and is not supported with the amplifi's that came much later....

having said that it certainly should work just fine! 

the MKII models have USB (which serves midi to the computer) but that USB is the difference both of the original FBV pedals work fine as well... same scenario... .untested, unsupported but highly likely to work without issue.

I think I was really trying to suggest to users that they may be able to use older technology to control their brand new amp. They would be able to get a cheaper second hand pedal to do what the Mk ll does. I can't see the need to have a USB connection especially as this cannot be used with IOS and there is no software to support Windows or Mac use of the Amplifi and certainly no Midi functions available to them either.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 9/17/2014 at 1:16 PM, TheRealZap said:

yes the mk1 version will work fine.

Great info, thanks! Going to try my now ancient FBV with an Amplifi 75. Only one concern. Appears that it should work but is there any potential to damage my Amplifi 75 with the FBV Longboard(MK1)?

No risk at all. It’s just a controller!

On 6/12/2020 at 6:58 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Great info, thanks! Going to try my now ancient FBV with and Amplifi 75. Only one concern. Appears that it should work but is there any potential to damage my Amplifi 75 with the FBV Longboard(MK1)?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheRealZap said:

No risk at all. It’s just a controller!

Thanks for the response! Definitely going to give it a go.  I have often wondered when it comes to Ethernet connected controllers what the potential is for damage is when it comes to using a controller not explicitly intended for the amp.  I also have an old Mackie Hotwire PB4 footswitch that would be a great fit with the Amplifi but I am hesitant to plug it in and risk damaging something.  I just don't know enough about what the potential for shorting and damaging the amplifier or even the controller circuitry is when using unmatched or another brand's Ethernet controllers.

Ideally I guess there would be a standard although extensible wiring and command protocol for Ethernet controllers such that they could be used across multiple brands and generations of equipment. More like the approach the Behringer FCB1010 or the Helix takes. It is just insane how many controllers I have ended up with over the years gathering dust.  Every manufacturer wants to be able to sell their proprietary pedalboard but it is just ridiculous that at a few hundred dollars a pop they can't work with multiple pieces of equipment. I wouldn't expect every function to be captured by another brand's controller but basic functions like bank and preset changing as well as two way communication for switch state and preset name if the controller has a display should be standardized across equipment brands.

These proprietary controllers have been around for decades and it is terrible for consumers. Wish they would all standardize already on Ethernet/MIDI or some other agreed upon protocol as well as a standardized onboard socket and firmware protocol for EEPROMs . The amp manufacturers could then just sell inexpensive EEPROMs or just the firmware for them that allow and extend maximum functionality with their particular amp and let the player pick the foot controller with the form factor and features they prefer from whichever manufacturer produces it.  Controllers on a common protocol would be future-proofed for a wide range of amp brands as well as new and/or updated models and generations within brands.

• 2 months later...
On 6/15/2020 at 11:19 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Thanks for the response! Definitely going to give it a go.  I have often wondered when it comes to Ethernet connected controllers what the potential is for damage is when it comes to using a controller not explicitly intended for the amp.  I also have an old Mackie Hotwire PB4 footswitch that would be a great fit with the Amplifi but I am hesitant to plug it in and risk damaging something.  I just don't know enough about what the potential for shorting and damaging the amplifier or even the controller circuitry is when using unmatched or another brand's Ethernet controllers.

Ideally I guess there would be a standard although extensible wiring and command protocol for Ethernet controllers such that they could be used across multiple brands and generations of equipment. More like the approach the Behringer FCB1010 or the Helix takes. It is just insane how many controllers I have ended up with over the years gathering dust.  Every manufacturer wants to be able to sell their proprietary pedalboard but it is just ridiculous that at a few hundred dollars a pop they can't work with multiple pieces of equipment. I MyGroundBiz wouldn't expect every function to be captured by another brand's controller but basic functions like bank and preset changing as well as two way communication for switch state and preset name if the controller has a display should be standardized across equipment brands.

These proprietary controllers have been around for decades and it is terrible for consumers. Wish they would all standardize already on Ethernet/MIDI or some other agreed upon protocol as well as a standardized onboard socket and firmware protocol for EEPROMs . The amp manufacturers could then just sell inexpensive EEPROMs or just the firmware for them that allow and extend maximum functionality with their particular amp and let the player pick the foot controller with the form factor and features they prefer from whichever manufacturer produces it.  Controllers on a common protocol would be future-proofed for a wide range of amp brands as well as new and/or updated models and generations within brands.

They would be able to get a cheaper second hand pedal to do what the Mk ll does. I can't see the need to have a USB connection especially as this cannot be used with IOS and there is no software to support Windows or Mac use of the Amplifi and certainly no Midi functions available to them either.