Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Close to an XD-V75TR purchase, quick question...

I'm currently running an AKG perception wireless system but am very close to a switch to a Line 6 rig.

Two questions:

I'm a sax player, running dual clip on mics through an AKG B29L (2 micro mics into 1 standard XLR M output mini mixer and phantom power beltpack)

Would I be better served by the Relay G90 or the XD-V75TR? and why?

Secondly, my B29L has a single XLR-M 3pin output. What would be the wiring schematic for a conversion cable for 3 pin XLR to the TA4F needed to plug into the TBP12? The transmitter doesn't need to be able to transmit phantom power on the line.

I did ask the schematic query a few months ago but the original thread and response appears to have disappeared.

There's not difference is sound quality between units. So the decision would be strictly the difference between features that you might need.

Usually condenser mics have a XLR preamp added. You can probably remove it and then just wire it to a ta4f connector. The mics don't inherently use phantom power and are more at home use g the bias voltage provided by the beltpack.

Hi,

i think the adapter you need is a Shure WA 310 http://www.thomann.de/de/shure_wa310_anschlusskabel.htm.

With this adapter you can attach a standard dynamic XLR micro (e.g. SM58) to the Line6 XD-V Beltpack with TA4F TQG.

(I assume in your application the AKG B29L male XLR-out acts electronically as a standard XLR Mic)

Unfortunately this adapter is 29 Euro at Thomann.de shop, but if do-it-your-own soldering is an option for you 

look for

- Switchcraft TA4F TQG http://www.thomann.de/de/switchcraft_swcta4f.htm

- Neutrik female XLR http://www.thomann.de/de/neutrik_nc_3_fxxb.htm 

- decent XLR cable like http://www.thomann.de/de/sommer_cable_primus_sw.htm

- Shure WA310 wiring pinout http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1498/~/pinout-for-wa310

As i understand the AKG B29L is a 'mini mixer' for two AKG specific clip-on mics, so i think the XD-V75 TR is the better option for you.

The Relay G90 is for guitar players and offers guitar-specific options like 'guitar cable simulation' ...

Thanks both of you.

Yes, the XLR-M out on the B29L is the equivalent of the output o a standard mic. It's still mic level though is switchable to output line level if required.

The B29L itself merely provides bias/phantom voltage to the two micromics via their TA3 connectors and option to adjust the relative volume of each mic.

I'd be making a cable up myself... can't remember the last time I bought a pre-made cable! The WA310 pinout is just the ticket. Thanks case67.

If I can follow up...

From the manual:

TBP12 Beltpack Pinout To TA4F Connector

Use the following wiring protocol when using other headset, lavalier, or instrument microphones or

cables with the TBP12 beltpack transmitter.

• TA4 pinout

• 1 = GND

• 2 = V+

• 3 = Signal

• 4 = Z (This pin is tied to Signal for lav mics and tied to Gnd or open for gtr)

I made up an XLR-F to TA4F identical to the Shure WA310 and it works perfectly.

Can I ask specifically the purpose of pin 4 "Z".

Ideally, what I'm trying to do is, in addition to running both mics into the B29L, I'd like to be able to run just one of my AKG mics direct from the TBP12 so need to make up a TA4F to TA3F cable

AKG quote the following for their PT45 transmitter which is what I've been using:

Pin 1: shield

Pin 2: audio inphase (+)

Pin 3: supply voltage (4V)

When my original cable for C519ML to PT45 got damaged, I seem to recall having a few fun and games trying to make a new one as the pin connections weren't straight through. If I recall correctly, connector sleeve and pins 1 and 3 were tied together with only pin 2 standalone. This implies that the bias voltage is applied to the shield. Would that be normal? If so, I'm guessing I need to create a cable:

Pin 1 (TA4F) -> Pin 1+3+sleeve (TA3F)

Pin 2 (TA4F) -> Pin 1+3+sleeve (TA3F)

Pin 3 (TA4F) -> Pin 2 (TA3F)

Pin 4 (TA4F) -> Pin 2 (TA3F)

As these connectors aren't re-usable, I'd sooner get it right first time! If that looks right, I'd appreciate a nod!

If it helps, this is the service documentation for the mic(s) which appears to show only pins 1 and 2 connected to the capsule; http://www.akg.com/media/media/download/7758

I realise I'm asking for help with non Line6 products!

EDIT

Have done some continuity testing on the AKG supplied cable;

Pin 1 + sleeve

Pin 2 + Pin 3

So, contrary to my supposition earlier, V+ is tied to Signal

This leads to:

Pin 1 (TA4F) -> Pin 1+sleeve (TA3F)

Pin 2 (TA4F) -> Pin 3 + Pin 2 (TA3F)

Pin 3 (TA4F) -> Pin 2 (TA3F)

Pin 4 (TA4F) -> Pin 2 (TA3F)

I've not had chance to make up and test this configuration but, for the sake of keeping others informed (I can imagine others who might wish to use an AKG micromic with the Line6 transmitter) thought I'd post my findings.

I'll build and test a cable tomorrow.

Hmm, made up the cable as above and tested.

I get signal through (the desk registers it) but it is very very weak. Upping the input trim makes little difference

So, on the premise that I have possibly misunderstood the usage of pin 4 "Z" I disconnected it. It made no difference whatsoever.

So, now I'm truly stumped and will temporarily cease this quest. The cable to connect the B29L works without flaw so I'll just have to run single mic through the B29 or use my akg woreless for rehearsing.

In the long run, it would be nice to get an adapter cable that works though!

• 4 weeks later...

Pin 4 provides a lower impedance option via a 20k ohm resistor. If pin 4 is open the input impedance is about 1MΩ. This is the normal configuration for instruments such as guitar that want to see a high impedance. For vocal pin 2 is normally shorted to pin 4 so that the input impedance becomes just a little less than 20kΩ