Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20d screen freezes on me -- AGAIN!

Hello folks, another disconcerting tale to tell I'm afraid. It has happened to me before on various occasions, but this time (last weekend) was the first time the M20d screen froze solid on me without any external doodads attached. No SD card inserted (for recording or playback), no WiFi dongle, no nothing. Just a single microphone and a stereo line in. As usual, when you operate the M20 so that people can see it, a tech aficionado stepped up to have a closer look at it, and wanted to know if this could be operated like a standard mixer. Sure, I said, look right here, "Show faders", show the faders it did, the encoders worked just fine, but as soon as I went on to demonstrate sliding a fader up and down - kaboom, frozen.

None of the encoders worked. The only thing that would still react was the main volume knob. I had to reboot the unit to regain control.

Now I'm sure someone is going to come up to explain that it's usually the cables ;) or that I need to update my firmware. Well, it's on 1.2 like probably everybody else's. Also, I don't think it's a hardware issue with the touchscreen (if so, then why did the encoders quit working, too?). I maintain that the firmware is still bug-ridden and that it's HIGH TIME somebody got their act together and fixed it.

Before the freeze the guy had asked me how much the unit cost, and where to buy it. He was really eager to get one. After the freeze, not so much. In other words, he was horrified. I told him to give the Behringer X32 a closer look.

I really feel for you guys. I haven't had this happen, but I do understand.

There are still quite a few bugs, and hopefully another release comes out soon to fix, and improve the current version. But as Don says, it may not be firmware. Worth checking.

I had issues with my A aux being very faint. I dealt with it fine as I usually use only the L6 link. So no need for that output. I was certain it was for aware cause it started after the last update, and if it was hardware, it should be on, or off....I would think. Not faintly working.

A gig came up where I was to do sound using a house system. I told them i wanted to use my system as their board is not in a permanent location, and it was predicted to be very busy so I didn't want to guard a board all day. Rather just an ipad in hand. So a couple days before, I tested all my outputs cause i was gonna need them. Still had the problem with A aux, and now the left main too! No time to send off. I decided to take a quick "peek" in the board to see if maybe it was just an issue with a loose wire on the jacks. Well, I would suggest not bothering with that unless you are a electronics person, and warranty is up anyway. I was stopped when I seen circuit boards in my way. Too much to do on my lap. So I put it back together. And, it is now working fine! All outputs and inputs. So problem isn't fixed, but I am certain it is hardware now. Clearly, I moved something. I pack my board around a lot and it is only in a rolling rack case. Not shock mounted. I am guessing that is the problem.

Long story short....and I know you case is different with the screen freezing....but again, it may not be firmware. BUT, the firmware does have known bugs....Line 6 knows too, and I am confident they are working on it.

After alot of trouble with the sceen that freezes,yesterday, suddenly 4 guitar- inputs came up on the screen  :(

I have sent the unit back to the store  for repair.

He told me that they will give me a new unit.

Kind regards

Emiel

Please have the unit repaired through your dealer. The screen behavior is a hardware issue that can be fixed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

OK, will do. Contacting the dealer as we speak.

But if that is the case - it's a known hardware problem that can be fixed - then why not simply own up to it and put it in the FAQ rather than have people jump through hoops, with the warranty clock ticking?

I'll certainly report back if and when I get the unit back, and have had a chance to put it through its paces.

I'm afraid you've misunderstood. You thought the problem was related to the firmware and Arne and I have both pointed out that the problem is probably hardware related. Your problem is not a "known issue" but rather like caused by the failure of some electronic component.

To Dietetstoll : I had the same freezîng trouble, one year and à half ago. It was solved by servicing in UK

To digitalsound : I also had similar hardware connectors troubles solved by two servicing periods in 2013 and 2014, the last on july. I'm waiting for intensive use in september to be sure that it is defintly OK, and be fully confident.

Despite these troubles, I do enjoy the use and Sound quality of my LINE6 sound system.

To Dietetstoll : I had the same freezîng trouble, one year and à half ago. It was solved by servicing in UK

To digitalsound : I also had similar hardware connectors troubles solved by two servicing periods in 2013 and 2014, the last on july. I'm waiting for intensive use in september to be sure that it is defintly OK, and be fully confident.

Despite these troubles, I do enjoy the use and Sound quality of my LINE6 sound system.

Thank you for a sign of hope, @pierrebriend - I'm packing the mixer right now (miraculously I happened to keep the box, which is not something I often do). Will revert.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I had a similar issue with mine out of the box. I ended up dealing with it for a while, and finally just sent it back to Sweetwater for a replacement.

Knock on wood - haven't had that issue with the new unit since.

It was exhibiting symptoms quite similar to what another responder mentioned; had to reboot the unit repeatedly, many many times before it would finally allow the touch screen to function. The calibrate mode was also in a similar state of being stuck. 

Haven't had to calibrate the new one at all; so most likely some sort of hardware related issue. Depending on when and where you bought yours, will guide your options, in terms of having L6 repair it, or if your original retailer is able to replace it for you.

And +1 to keeping the box!!

• 3 weeks later...

I promised to report back here after I got the unit back from "servicing". It arrived a few days ago. Seems it never left Germany; the dealer obviously sent it to a German facility (authorized repair center I presume) who, according to the manifest,

• reinstalled 1.2 firmware
  • checked the hardware for flimsy connectors, bad soldering joints etc
  • thoroughly tested the unit for several days and
  • found no (more) evidence of the problem

I had written down the serial # before shipping it; the same unit came back (no exchange).

Well, I'm thoroughly unhappy to report that it took me all of 20 minutes to deep freeze the board once again. This time, even worse than before. Now, not even the MUTE buttons and the main level knob were working. 

What I did was: without any external peripherals (no SD card, no WiFi dongle, no nothing, not even sound sources connected) I went through a realistic setup / tweak / perform / show faders / back to stage view / tweak / deep tweak circle for a couple of times (I had four "sources" on stage, so not an overcrowded setup at all).

Out of the blue, bang, deep freeze.

Guess I'm gonna do it again, this time using a video camera to capture the fun.

Anyone from Line6 care to chime in?

Here's a video taken today:

I haven't published it for everyone to see just yet. Hope I won't need to.

I guess at this point the only remedy will be for me to get the unit exchanged. I have already parted with it for five weeks, with zero outcome. I certainly don't want to repeat the experience.

Can you tell that I'm p***ed off?

We are very sorry for the trouble. This unit definitately needs to be replaced. Please contact customer service so we can resolve this as fast as possible.

http://line6.com/company/contact/

Europe

Telephone: +44 (0) 1788 566 566
Fax: +44 (0) 1788 566 529

Technical Support:
+44 (0) 1788 566 555, Mon-Thurs 9am – 5pm GMT and Fri 9am – 4pm GMT

USA

Main Phone#: (818) 575-3600
Main Fax#: (818) 575-3601

Customer Service:
8am - 5pm M-F Pacific Time
Press option 2 for Customer Service

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I guess it's time that I reported back. At long last, my M20d was exchanged (I guess I have Arne to thank for speeding up the process - I still was out of a board for about eight weeks, but the dealer said that this is the way big corporations handle these things - plenty of red tape and paperwork). Anyway, a (supposedly new) unit arrived in November, I tried it for a minor gig with no issues, so I went out on a limb and used it for a festival-type gig (7pm to 12:30am, nine inputs used, recording on SD card). 

Well, my faith has been (temporarily anyway) restored, the M20d provided for smooth sailing, no hiccups, no screen freezes, no complaints.

I am still somewhat wary but tend to believe that the first unit was indeed a lemon with a hardware flaw.

I so hope to never have to return to this topic and report otherwise...

• Upvote 1

Glad that you've found happiness with your M20d...

I am one of the (what I believe to be) many fortunate who have flawless system.

I've had just one problem, a blown power supply in one of my L3s's but that is currently away being fixed by Line6, but otherwise the system works spot on every time except where I fook up!

Still extremely happy with my rig :-)

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately I have to report a very similar issue like dieterstoll. I bought the unit one year ago. After one year of normal operation, I suddenly experienced the screen freezes a few times. Sometimes I also get the "Error: App Returned With Status 1xx" message at boot (don't remember the number any more). Once I also observed that the unit suddenly rebooted itself while having a gig. Fortunately all the channels stayed open.

To be honest, I don't trust the device any more. In case I have a marriage ceremony, I fear that it migth suddenly crash. That would be horrible!!!

Additional I would like to mention that when I bought the unit, first it turned out that channel 6 sometimes suddenly became active, even when nothing was connected. I immediately returned it to the dealer and got a new one after 4 weeks :-( !!! Not to talk about the issue that I can operate the WIFI stick only on channel 1 (no other channel works). Event though it is the Samsung stick that is recommended by Line 6. The support was unfortunately not able to solve this issue.

I'm really disappointed, even though I like the the possibilities that the M20d offers very much. But always having some kind of trouble with a device for which I payed about 1800 EUR is not fun at all. :-(

Could somebody from the Line 6 team at least tell me what I can do to speed up sending/returning the unit and not having to wait 4 weeks again. I have a gig nearly every weekend! This hurts very much at the moment! Apart from that I read that dieterstoll got the unit back with just a SW update. Great!! How can I avoid to get it back with the statement "everything works fine"? Unfortunately there is no way to reproduce the issue. Sometimes it happens at boot, sometimes after a few hours and sometimes not at all.

Regards,

Bernd

The issue that you are describing in the first part is a known issue. This happens about every 70th time at start up and a power on/ off is required. It does not happen during operation.

To expedite your repair please submit a ticket with customer service- we can then help to speed this up.

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

• Open a Support Ticket

Contact our expert tech support staff directly via a support ticket. You will get a response within three business days. Response time may increase during holiday periods. To see your ticket, click My Account, then click Support Tickets.

• Call Line 6 Technical Support

If your issue involves using a computer, to help us better assist you, please complete your support profile.

The support team for US customers can be reached at 818-575-3600 (option 2), Mon-Fri 8am - 5 pm PST. Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm.

The EU support team can be reached at +49 (0) 4101 303 166, Mon-Thurs 9am – 5pm GMT and Fri 9am – 4pm CET.

Outside of North America and Europe, please visit our distributor page.

So I ordered my M20d through Sweetwater 2 months ago and alas I finally got it last week and the damn thing freezes up on me every time I use it. I've restored it to factory and have loaded the most recent update but nothing seems to help. It is absolutely frustrating to wait for a product only to find it doesn't work. I contacted Sweetwater today and will be sending it back tomorrow and selecting another brand of mixer. It's a shame because it sounded great.

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone... I purchased my M20D on November 27, 2015 from musiciansfriend and received it December 2, 2015, yesterday. It came pre-installed with the latest firmware (v1.2) so I was confident that this is a newer manufactured unit and all the bugs from the earlier units had been worked out. I had read up on the manual during the few days wait for it to arrive so I would know my way around the unit. Unfortunately no more than 10 minutes in I had my first screen freeze. Nothing external plugged in yet so I powered the unit off/on and continued to plug a mic and monitor in on my second try and everything registered fine. Was actually blown away by the great quality of sound coming from my monitor. Went to tweak my monitor and the second screen freeze occurred and so on and so on. Multiple freezes within a four hour period. I have since re-installed the latest firmware, calibrated the touch screen, and even crossed fingers and toes but still the same outcome. I started a service ticket yesterday and I'm hoping to hear back from Line 6 soon and this can get resolved. This is heartbreaking not to mention wallet breaking as well. A great product, I just hope I can get a working one. Anyone still having similar problems with newer units? Thanks for reading!!

66d35,

Thanks! Instead of possibly receiving another defective unit I called Line 6 directly and spoke with Pete. They just needed a copy of the purchase receipt which I already sent via the open ticket and then they will schedule a pick-up of the unit at my home address to get it serviced or exchanged. Excellent! I just hope to get a working unit back before Dec 15th, as I am doing sound now for my daughters sweet 16 party since I spent the budget on the M20D. Time to bite the nails.....

Will update on the progress.....

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I ordered a Stagescape M20d in Nov 2015, received it and fell in love with all the options and sound.  Within the first few hours the screen was freezing up.  So naturally I thought it was something I did.  I re-booted and all was well for an hour or so and then another freeze up.  This went on for several days and I returned the unit thinking it was defective.

Yesterday I received my second brand new, un-opened StageScape.  Same frigging issues, so I went online only to find out that this seems to be very common.  I only wish these mixers would have been pulled and repairs made before selling any others.  Line 6 obviously knows they have a problem.

Now I'm sure Line 6 would love me to send this back to them to have repaired but that is even more down time for me and it sucks that you pay this kind of money for a product that has a known issue.

I'll be giving Line 6 a call but I'm sure I'll be sending this product back for a full refund.  It just suck as I liked all the features and love the recording and footswitch features not found on other digital mixers.  And what pisses me off even more is that I have 3 weeks off around the holidays that I wanted to learn all the tricks of this mixer and will now not have that benefit.

Shame on Line 6 for not having a recall or anything on the FAQ's 

Well I got to talk to Pete at Line 6 who was very accommodating and understanding of the issue.  He offered to have the unit picked up by UPS and repaired under warranty in CA.  He was aware of this issue with the StageScape.   

It's just a shame that us honest consumers have to put out our money for a mixer with known freeze up issues only to receive it and have to send it out as soon as it's receive for a know warranty repair.  The turn around time may be 2-3 weeks or more. 

A prudent product recall should have been in order.  Line 6 should be accommodating and have a FREE loaner mixer to send you while this mixer is held up in warranty repair.  

I think the only way I'm going to stay with the Line 6 StageScape is if they can offer me a working loaner to restore my confidence in this product..... I really don't see that happening. 

I've had surprisingly fast turnaround from Line6 service with the M20D stuff.  If you're sending it to the mothership I'd expect it to be back in less than two weeks.

Honestly, for the American guys, if you have a problem, just call Line6. They're service dept is great.

I recently bought the M20d from Amazon and in a few days realized that the screen kept freezing up. After reading all these posts I returned the unit to 123music for a refund (which I am waiting for) Now I am concerned I really love this unit. Where do I buy this unit and get a working one?? above I see that people have bought from musicians friend, sweetwater.... etc.  so I am thinking I can't buy from those because I will probably get a unit already returned and I just want a unit that doesn't lock up and is working flawlessly like others have stated..... any help on this? Thanks!

I am now going to give this mixer just one more chance.   I ordered both defective StageScapes from Musician's Friend and they have an excellent return policy.  They are getting a NEW shipment of these mixers in Mid to Late January 2016.  They assured me that this is a NEW batch from Line 6...  Hopefully Line 6 is smart enough to have this issue at the TOP of their priorities before they send any additional StageScape units that will flood the market.

I truly love the sound and all the amazing options of this digital mixer and I'm willing to give Line 6 just one more try, one more strike before they are out of my game forever.... Hoping Line 6 is monitoring and reading all of our concerns on this forum.

On a positive note:  One of the reasons I am giving them one more honest try is "PETE" at Line 6 customer support.  I have yet to have any problems getting my concerns answered by a real live human with knowledge, thank you Pete.  For those worried about customer support, don't be; and for those who complain about Line 6 support I would say you have not made an honest attempt.

I am so hoping the NEW 2016 version, and my third try, is FLAWLESS !!!!!!   I will issue another post when my 3rd board has been delivered and put through the paces...

Hoping Line 6 gets it right this time 

• 1 month later...

Ive been waiting patiently since Nov '15 for a new replacement unit. My first unit had its first screen freeze only 15 minutes out of the box. Sent it back to the online retailer and have since checked daily on when the retailer would receive a new shipment of M20D's. Since January of this year I've been checking back at the retail site and they keep pushing the date back of new units arriving. Right now it's March 3,2016. But I'm not holding my breath. I believe Line 6 has given up on the the M20D but I hope I'm wrong. I love the unit and its capabilities.

Still waiting on my number 3 replacement.....  Latest updates for new shipments of the M20d mixer is early March and there is a waiting list !!!!

They still have my money so I remain at the top of the list.  This is now becoming a 4 month ordeal....  These new ones better be flawless....

I'll post again as soon as I put the new board through its paces... 

• 3 weeks later...

I called Line 6 yesterday to ask about my brand new unit freezing 3-4 times each day.  They told me there is no fix at this point.  They said they are working on a Firmware update to correct the issue, but have no release date in sight.  I think I'm going to return it; I can't have this freeze up every couple of hours.

I had the freezing issue a while back (see my earlier posts).  This was disappointing to say the least.  I took it back to the dealer (Long and McQuade) who replaced it with another unit.  It had the old 1.0 software on it, but it did not freeze. I updated to 1.2 and the unit works fine, and has not frozen once yet.  I left the unit on for a week and it still did not freeze.  I connected and disconnected inputs on the unit to see if it would cause freezing, and no freezing.  I would say hang in there and press your dealer to make the situation right.  I'm sure Line6 wants to see this issue through as well.

C-Dog