Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD + Combo amp + 4 cables = what kind of output?

Shaamaan

I've recently purchased a small combo amp with an FX loop. The FX loop was a specific requirement to make the most out of the POD.

Before, when I had the POD connected to my PC (not just using USB) I used the Studio/Direct setting on the POD, as that seemed to give the most clarity. But I'm not so sure now.

I AM connecting the POD to a combo amp, so the setting with this name seems to suggest it's the preferred way. BUT, if I don't include the FX loop in the DSP, then the combo amp works only as a speaker (the knobs on the amp don't affect the signal, not even volume)... this makes me think that Studio/Direct once more might be preferred.

What's the right way to go about this?

So if you turn off the pods FX loop in 4cm, then you effectively have Pod --> Amp's power amp --> Amp's speaker

For me, if it's a tube combo amp i'd run studio mode and use the pre-only models with no cab modeling. That way the pod is your preamp, the combo amp power sectionis your tube power, and out to amp speaker .

My rack setup is similar - Pod HD preamp models --> Tube power amp --> Guitar speakers. Sounds great for me live.

With the 4CM, depending on you patch you're either going -

1. Guitar, POD effects, amp preamp, POD effects, amp power amp, speaker

Or,

2. Guitar, POD effects, amp power amp, speaker.

So, with 1 you're going to the amp front and rear. With 2 you're going just to the amp rear. I have always stuck with either the combo/stack front or combo/stack power amp settings. As you have a combo, I'd start with combo front but also try combo power amp. Definitely not studio mode because no matter what, you're going through a guitar power amp and guitar speaker which is what studio/direct is designed to emulate.

• Upvote 1

So if you turn off the pods FX loop in 4cm, then you effectively have Pod --> Amp's power amp --> Amp's speaker

For me, if it's a tube combo amp i'd run studio mode and use the pre-only models with no cab modeling. That way the pod is your preamp, the combo amp power sectionis your tube power, and out to amp speaker .

My rack setup is similar - Pod HD preamp models --> Tube power amp --> Guitar speakers. Sounds great for me live.

Sadly, it's no tube amplifier. I wish I could get one as cheaply as I got this one tho. :P

With the 4CM, depending on you patch you're either going -

1. Guitar, POD effects, amp preamp, POD effects, amp power amp, speaker

Or,

2. Guitar, POD effects, amp power amp, speaker.

So, with 1 you're going to the amp front and rear. With 2 you're going just to the amp rear. I have always stuck with either the combo/stack front or combo/stack power amp settings. As you have a combo, I'd start with combo front but also try combo power amp. Definitely not studio mode because no matter what, you're going through a guitar power amp and guitar speaker which is what studio/direct is designed to emulate.

It's the first one. I think. Albeit the amps power amp seems to be "fixed" in settings. Is that possible? If I connect the PODs output to the FX return on the amp (and leave ONLY this cable in whilst disconnecting all other cables) then there's no change to the sound no matter how much I twist the dials on the amp. Connecting the other two cables will get the pre-amp effects into the loop, this much I'm certain of, and there you are definitely right.

Sadly, it's no tube amplifier. I wish I could get one as cheaply as I got this one tho. :P

glad you clarified.  Most folks use the 4 cable method to take advantage of their tube preamp section.  You have a solid state preamp with no tube advantages.  Instead what you have is nice solid state power amp and cab, no need for 4CM.  Personally, I would just go straight into the FX return and use my POD for everything.  There are a lot of guys using it straight into the FX return and very happy with the results. And it is MUCH easier to set up...

I would definitely use Studio Direct and experiment with amps, preamps, cabs, mics and EQ to find what works for you.  The idea of discarding cab and mic emulation is just wrong.  If at the end of the day you prefer it off, OK, but at least try it to see how it sounds.  You can try the other output types too to see how they sound but I think you will be best with Studio Direct.

• Upvote 1