Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do you add pedals to a pod 500x?

austinctu24

Through the built-in effects loop.

Routing: From the "out" of the HD, into your pedals, then the output of your last pedal to the "in" of the HD.

You'll then want to add the "Effects Loop" effect so you can adjust it's input and output and move it around in the overall chain.

Reading your manual should clearly explain this.

You don't have to put them together, though. For example, fuzz pedals are often best at the beginning of a signal chain, so you could go:

Guitar > Big Muff > HD500 in > HD FX loop out > AC Tone > HD FX loop in > HD500 out

That would allow you to have in-built effects on either side of the AC Tone.

• Upvote 1

you can control the guitar via the pod, meaning change models etc save within the tone... you don't have to deal with batteries....

you can simultaneously route the models and the pickups... even send them down different paths with different tunings...

probably even more... but loads of options.. the tradeoffs are minor.. you can still put stomps in the FX loop.

What is the advantage of using a VDI? You can't go wireless and you can't place analog stomps in front of the pod. What am I missing?

you can control the guitar via the pod, meaning change models etc save within the tone... you don't have to deal with batteries....

you can simultaneously route the models and the pickups... even send them down different paths with different tunings...

probably even more... but loads of options.. the tradeoffs are minor.. you can still put stomps in the FX loop.

Ok, that's huge! So there is really no way to run boxes in front of the Pod and use The VDI. If that is so its a bit unfortunate. I've got to be able to controll my JTV through the Pod. I've got songs with alternate tuning and distortions don't sound so great through the fx loop.

Thanx

If you move the FX loop to the beginning of the chain it should be the same as having pedals "in front". You will have to play with the levels though to make sure you are hitting the pedals with enough signal. Try putting a studio eq with +6db gain (no eq changes) just before the FX loop block and you may have better results with your distortion in the loop. 

If you move the FX loop to the beginning of the chain it should be the same as having pedals "in front". You will have to play with the levels though to make sure you are hitting the pedals with enough signal. Try putting a studio eq with +6db gain (no eq changes) just before the FX loop block and you may have better results with your distortion in the loop. 

That makes sense. But what about other fx in the loop aside from distortion that one may want to have want post mixer? I want my tube screamer on the front and my Super Ego in the back. 

Riddle me that my man!

That makes sense. But what about other fx in the loop aside from distortion that one may want to have want post mixer? I want my tube screamer on the front and my Super Ego in the back. 

Riddle me that my man!

if you are willing to be creative it can be done.  You effectively need two FX loops so we have to improvise one.  The improvised loop will be  for your pre  effects and the POD FX loop will be for post effects.  First, create a dual amp path to have separate inputs, set input 2 to Guitar and input 1 to Aux, keep mixer hard panned left and right.

Here is where we get creative.  Guitar signal comes in on input 2 and into any FX on channel B, no amp block (bypass volume to 100) and out the right 1/4 out to the input of your stomp box then back in to the POD Aux input.  The signal now is on channel A so you can add more FX as desired then into your amp block.  Keep your post FX in channel A and before the mixer.  Place your FX Loop block where you want it, also in channel A before the mixer and feed your other stomps.  The mixer must be the last thing in the chain.  Now feed the left 1/4 out to your PA / Power amp and you are in business.

So the improvised loop is out channel B and back in to Channel A.  Keep the two channels completely separate.  You can use the ch B mixer level for signal adjustment to your first stomp and the FX Loop adjustments for your others.

Let me know how this works!

Will that work with alt tuning? 

The configuration I posted above will work just fine with a JTV and VDI cable.  Just set input 2 to Guitar+Variax and follow all the other steps.  Alt  tunings will work and the JTV can be programmed into the patch.