Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there any fix for the Floor pod plus noise issue?

I received a floor pod plus used off e-bay and im about to send it back. I did a few google searches that lead me here with a few other threads ive read of other owners of the floor pod plus with the same noises im hearing from my unit.

Not all the patches have these weird noises, static, white noise, and sometimes cycling sounds. So far i only seem to hear it when the delay is added. The problem is i like delay, i use that mostly and chorus

Other then send it back or to line 6 wich ive read a few other owners who sent theirs back and they were fixed or replaced what else is there?

Im trying to check my options before i have to kick out $25. in shipping to send it back to line 6.

Here is what ive done so far, ive gone to my friends who has a XTlive, i tried my unit at his house. Same issue, i even tried his power supply, same issue. New cables, different guitars. I even cracked the back cover off to see if there was any obvious things like maybe water or a spilled beer in the unit. It looks pretty solid. I dont see any bad grounds or loose plugs they have built these pretty well. Anything that could bang loose is glued down solid.

I dont want to send it in if i dont have to.

try this from the manual

If for any reason, or just for the sheer mad joy of it, you decide you need to reset your 
Floor POD Plus’s entire memory to its factory-programmed state, then boldly do this: 
Simultaneously press the Bank Up and Bank Down footswitches while plugging in the 
power supply. After startup, the display will show “intâ€, to indicate that the unit has been 
re-initialized. Disconnect the power supply then reconnect it. You’re done

Yeah i did that also, it didnt help. I thought about just going threw all the patches and remove the delay from them all and resave them and then see what it does.

If the problem is old leaky or tired caps i can do that myself. If its a micro processor or something else that has an issue i dont think i can fix it.

How old is this unit?

Ive read storys of faulty caps that over time start to dry the electrolytic stuff inside the caps breaks down and the caps loose their capacitance or something. IF thats the issue i can do that.

It would make sense if that was the problem, why it worked fine for years then all the sudden flaked out.

If its a bad ground or a dirty control pot i can also do that i just need to know what the issue is.

If it needs reprogrammed or something along those lines i dont think i could do that unless there was a program to run threw the midi/usb adaptor.

IMO you need to be somewhat technical skilled when playing guitar because of all the electronics and mechanical parts of the guitar to keep your gear working you learn a few things in this field.

Im no stranger to soldering in pickups, control pots, new jacks on speaker cables and patch cords. Trouble shooting the issue though is a little over me though.

I gave $100. for it, i guess i should of done my homework first before i bid on it. A simple google search on problems with floor pod plus would of told me not to get it.

I like my buddies XTlive but i wanted something a tad smaller, this one isnt any smaller. I do like the foot switches better on this one and the XTlive better then the newer taller silver ones.

I normally push the buttons with my hands i dont really use it as a "floor" unit so this type of switch i like better then the larger silver metal button type.

Whats your address? ill send it to you rather then throwing it in the land fill.

As it sits now its more or less just a huge distortion pedal, none of the other effects work without tuns of noise in them. The distortion section seems fine.

Not all the patches have these weird noises, static, white noise, and sometimes cycling sounds. So far i only seem to hear it when the delay is added. The problem is i like delay, i use that mostly and chorus

Can you post a clip?

Based on your description it may be normal, especially if you are using hi gain amp models.

I played around with it more and i notice its only on some FX chorus has it and flange and all the delays. You can turn the level/feedback dial down to a minimum and then you dont hear it but the effect is still on (delay) the rotary and phaser doesnt seem to have the noise 

I also hear the noise at time when i go to a patch that is preset i can sometimes rotate the amp model dial to green then back to the red same sound i had and the static goes away when im using no other effects.

How do post a clip? can i add links or upload files to this forum?

You can do either.

Click the little Link icon to add a link (under the smiley face a little to the left).

Or click the More Reply Options button (bottom right) to access the Attach Files.

FWIW, if you putt a flanger or other modulation type effect in front of a real amp that is cranked, you will hear swooshing sounds (unless you have a noise gate).

Or even just a guitar straight into a cranked amp, if you are not playing there is usually white noise, and or buzzing, and or (60 Hertz) humming.

Any overdrive, distortions, ect.. pedals will increase these noises.

ok what is your exact setup i should do when recording the clip? Should i do video?

I get the noises threw the headphones but ive ran the floor pod threw an amp and i still hear it.

Do you have a floor pod? im wondering if you have used one and know how it works fully?

Sometimes ill get noise in a patch then ill move the amp modler dial to green then back to red and the noise will go away. I can then save the patch and when i flip to the patch the little noise is gone. I dont quite understand that one.

The noise gate has no effect on these noises, if i turn it to max or fully off it makes no difference.

OK here is a clip and a video using my webcam and line in video.

Setup, webcam wired to my hat, ernie ball axis direct into floor pod, mono out to line in on my computer.

First is a dirty sound no FX, then i turn on the delay and i think flange and you then hear this weird buzzing sound. When i pause you can really hear the whine noise. Its harder to hear threw my PC speakers but threw my AMP its horrible and i cant stand it.

I never play with this much effects but you hear the noise more when the effects levels are up,

I added an MP3, i first reset the unit back to factory holding both bank buttons and powered it on. Then i went threw all 4 patches on the first 3 banks. You can clearly hear the noise in the delay patches it has a cycling buzz sound other patches arnt as distinct they may use different effects or lower volumes or something.

But you can clearly hear it in the MP3 right? Also Sorry for my cheezy playing skills.

Edited by BowerR64
i need the space for another post

Its a toughie my man, it could be a cold solder joint on a ground for ex. but the best thing to do is not throw money at it. FPPs are plenty and can be had cheaper. AFAIK there was never a problem with the FPPs other than occasional solder/component issue.

I've used a FPP for years for quick jams and general abuse and its never fizzed/buzzed like that unless dialed in to do so.

I know your pain the -Bay has treated me to a few recycled lemons, which I suspect is why they were there in the first place.

Let your wallet be your guide :)

Bill

• Upvote 1

I do not have a FPP, I do have a PODxt, UX2, POD HD, and FX100.

The example I gave regarding pedals was a comparison to non modeled gear.

I won't be able to listen to it on good monitors or headphones until later tonite, but the clicking I hear in the mp3 is not a normal sound I was referring to.

Could be interference from a router, computer, ect...But that fact that you can sitwch it back and forth and have it go away would suggest it is the hardware.

I would try it in different rooms, circuits, or even other locations.

I do not have a FPP, I do have a PODxt, UX2, POD HD, and FX100.

The example I gave regarding pedals was a comparison to non modeled gear.

I won't be able to listen to it on good monitors or headphones until later tonite, but the clicking I hear in the mp3 is not a normal sound I was referring to.

Could be interference from a router, computer, ect...But that fact that you can sitwch it back and forth and have it go away would suggest it is the hardware.

I would try it in different rooms, circuits, or even other locations.

Really?

Come on dude, read around im not the only one with this unit that is hearing weird noises from certain effects. Just searching this site i found a few, i even did a search on e-bay and a guy has one posted for $60. that says he hears the exact same sound and the previous owner didnt tell him it had issues when he sold it.

Ive been playing guitar for 30 years i can tell the difference from processor noise and interference.

I tried your theory though, like i said when i first got it i went threw all the trouble shooting things. The first was powersupply it was quick, i tried my friends from his XTlive and it still had the same noise. This is when i knew it was in the unit.

I still think its in the power supply but i think its internal. Most electronic devices do the AC to DC converting outside the unit so the powerpack has to be clean and well filtered or you get noisy power into the device. Some are cleaner then others.

This unit does the filtering INSIDE so the line comming into the unit is still AC and the unit converts it to DC internally and THIS could still be the issue. Doing it this way they know that the filtering is done correctly. Any 9V AC power will work and be filtered well.

It could also still be the line going to the delay section of the unit as well.

• Downvote 1

Really?

Come on dude, read around im not the only one with this unit that is hearing weird noises from certain effects. Just searching this site i found a few, i even did a search on e-bay and a guy has one posted for $60. that says he hears the exact same sound and the previous owner didnt tell him it had issues when he sold it.

Ive been playing guitar for 30 years i can tell the difference from processor noise and interference.

I tried your theory though, like i said when i first got it i went threw all the trouble shooting things. The first was powersupply it was quick, i tried my friends from his XTlive and it still had the same noise. This is when i knew it was in the unit.

I still think its in the power supply but i think its internal. Most electronic devices do the AC to DC converting outside the unit so the powerpack has to be clean and well filtered or you get noisy power into the device. Some are cleaner then others.

This unit does the filtering INSIDE so the line comming into the unit is still AC and the unit converts it to DC internally and THIS could still be the issue. Doing it this way they know that the filtering is done correctly. Any 9V AC power will work and be filtered well.

It could also still be the line going to the delay section of the unit as well.

so what do you want

so what do you want

Well what would you do?

Lets say you were me, you paid $100. on a unit that sounds like this. Would you just bite your lip and eat the loss? 

Im a little upset wouldnt you be?

I know you want to think its user error but look around, im NOT the only user with this unit to have an issue.

I want it fixed, i want it to work. Im looking for a solution. I dont want to just throw it away or push it off on some one else.

Thanks for the negative rep, that really helps.

well you bought a used unit... it could be a problem with the unit... but since someone else had it first no telling...

everyone here is trying to help you... be upset... but be smart about it... noone here sold that to you... not even line6.... yet we are all offering suggestions...

Well what would you do?

Lets say you were me, you paid $100. on a unit that sounds like this. Would you just bite your lip and eat the loss? 

Im a little upset wouldnt you be?

I know you want to think its user error but look around, im NOT the only user with this unit to have an issue.

I want it fixed, i want it to work. Im looking for a solution. I dont want to just throw it away or push it off on some one else.

Thanks for the negative rep, that really helps.

well you bought a used unit... it could be a problem with the unit... but since someone else had it first no telling...

everyone here is trying to help you... be upset... but be smart about it... noone here sold that to you... not even line6.... yet we are all offering suggestions...

Your just like the other 2 guys, instantly its everything else but a problem with the unit. Again, if i was the only one with this exact same issue i could see your point but if you search like i did BEFORE i came to this forum you will read others with this exact same issue.

As many posts as you guys have and the good rep ide think you would of at least heard of this before.  There is a problem with this model, believe me what im telling you. Your going to see more upset owners other then just me.

Ill call and see what they say. http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/3476

Maybe ill stir up enough of a stink that more regulars will make a note of this.

dude... those units were released about 5 years ago... there is not an epidemic issue... sure you could have a bad unit (there i said it, happy?)

but if its a used unit, and has been away from the factory for a number of years... and if you aren't the original owner...

then Line6 doesn't owe you anything... neither does anyone on the forum that has been trying to help you...

if you truly believe its a hardware issue as your document suggest, then you need to get the unit to a service center to be repaired...

because we can't help you.

• Upvote 1

there is not an epidemic issue... 

Not yet.

Ill agree there are many things that can cause noise and it is hard to trouble shoot over the internet without looking at the equipment but i dont think you guys should be so quick to call user error.

you're talking about a mature device that's been out over 5 years... if it's not yet an epidemic problem... its a safe assumption that it wasn't one.. .and won't be one...

the people here:

1. cannot physically look at your device

2. are not affiliated with line6 in an official support capacity (myself included)

3. are merely giving you suggestions you can try in order to isolate the issue

4. are giving you options besides the cold, and unfortunate possibility that you need to visit a support center.

having said all that... here is where we find ourselves: http://line6.com/find/service_center/

Your just like the other 2 guys, instantly its everything else but a problem with the unit.

My apologies for attempting to help. Based on your original post, and not knowing your prior gear experience, or hearing the sound, the description sounded like it may have been normal. Which is why I italicized may in my first reply, because without hearing it, it is just speculation.

Then after hearing the clips you posted and your recipe for making the noise go away by switching back and forth I stated that it did sound like a hardware issue. (Perhaps a cap failing??)

But I am confused, as I reread this entire thread, I am not able to find where anyone that attempted to help ever suggested that it was user error, nor can I see a reply that may be misinterpreted as such.

Hope you can sort it out with the original seller,

Peace Out.

I kept reading things like could be my router, or my computer, to try it in different locations, then one that said since i bought it used there is no telling what could be wrong. I guess i kinda took that the wrong way

The part that i find strange is that its not an epidemic issue yet line 6 made a service manual for the issue and posted what chip had the problem and how to test for the issue. This tells me they know its a problem, what is the problem and what needs replaced.

I wouldnt be so upset if i gave $10-$20. for it.

Here is my sugestions if anyone else gets one or has one.

No reverb, cant use it at all. No chorus or flange of any amounts sounds good they all crackle and buzz. Delay can be on but at a minimal amount the leve needs to be so far down that its about off but loud you can just hear a hint of it.

Some of the amp models sound bad at first but if you change them from green to red they clean up. Sometimes you can find a patch that the amp model crackles and you can change from red to green then back to red and save it and its fine. Not sure i understand that part but maybe it has something to do with the knob settings its saved as and then how yours are set when you recall it up.

I went to one of the patches that has a pitch shifter with distortion and its all whacked i think its like bank 5 patch C its a total mess.

If you dont need chorus, flange, delay, or any reverb this unit is great! has some nice sounding distortion patches

• Upvote 1

Well my man - the page you quoted is from the "Assembly" section of the manual which is supposed to be used during final prep. Its not a statement of widespread failure by any stretch - but it does tell of a relationship between the two (delay/sram). The unit probably worked fine years ago (they came out in '07).

You will have to more than likely take it to a service center and "hope" they won't just want to replace the board "if" that is the problem or return it to the seller.

Fact is SRam can go bad, so can other parts.

Sometimes the best answer is the one you don't want to hear. 

I do agree though it has some excellent sounds and is pretty easy to work with.

Good Luck!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked one up yesterday and wished I would have read this forum first and the plethora of others about this same issue out there.  Seems like an epidemic to me.  My Floor Pod Plus makes the same unbearable sound with any of the effects.  Some are trying to blame it on age but I have the original POD and it still works perfectly so that is an unacceptable explanation.  We are guitarists and covet vintage gear and 5 years of age on gear is nothing.  Does anyone have an actual fix for the effects problem with these units?  I have changed cables, guitars, amps and headphones and the issue is there 100% of the time. I have used Line 6 equipment for years and have not had an issue like this and now that I am looking online for fixes, I am realizing this is a widespread problem with this unit and have yet to see an answer except being told to quit using it probably user error.  Is that really the only answer here?  If so, extremely disappointing.  This Pod was supposed to hold me over for a few months before I could pick up the PodHD500 but seeing the answers for this prevalent issue that countless others are having is not making me feel all warm and fuzzy about shelling out the cash now.  So please tell me if there is a fix or not.

Hey Fellas,

Sorry to hear about your problems (especially on new gear). L6 is great on warrenty repairs.

The first step would be to give them a call or a create a support ticket: http://line6.com/support/tickets/

If you find out about a fix post back here for any others who might have a similar issue.

-B

Same issue here and i will sell that line6 stuff and take other brand multieffect pedals because mine is out of warranty and repair an issue like this will cost more than a new one...

By the way the issue is the one reported by  the assembly manual, here it is: http://picosong.com/9VBm/

it seems to me a pretty serius problem with the unit, you guys have to admit that.

Won't do you any good to suggest that here....

if you want Line6 to address the issue with you personally... call or open a support ticket.

http://line6.com/company/contact/

Yeah man, but this is a support forum and no one yet knows what's going on on those units.

Is there a man who repaire these things?? Why can't just someone tell us what it's wrong and how we can fix it(if we can)

This is a line6 forum but i only see normal people who answer questions, isn't there a electronic engineer who can help us?

It's a user forum... it used to be used for support.

there is noone official from line6 that would answer you directly...

there may be engineers etc... service techs... 

but they would just be users trying to be helpful...

you can also call a line6 authorized service center from their list and ask for their ideas...

Yeah man, but this is a support forum and no one yet knows what's going on on those units.

Is there a man who repaire these things?? Why can't just someone tell us what it's wrong and how we can fix it(if we can)

This is a line6 forum but i only see normal people who answer questions, isn't there a electronic engineer who can help us?

It's a user forum... it used to be used for support.

there is noone official from line6 that would answer you directly...

there may be engineers etc... service techs... 

but they would just be users trying to be helpful...

you can also call a line6 authorized service center from their list and ask for their ideas...

thanks for the answers and for your time man

btw when i click on your "What is a Line6 Expert? " there is a section which says

"Line 6 Support

ccs-411956-0-19315500-1383694352.png

Members that have the actual Line 6 logo under their usernames are Line 6 employees"

So there must be someone who is a line6 employee

there are plenty... they usually pop in when users alert them to poor forum behavior or abusive threads.

there are none tasked with reviewing the forums daily use...

and even then... you'll be far more likely to see the support manager or a product manager...

it's extremely rare to see a service tech or engineer, which is what you are asking for.

I've suggested a support ticket or telephone call as a means of assuring contact.

your odds aren't that good by any other means.