Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any way to run Workbench from my iPad?

Just bought an iPad mini and would like to be able to run Workbench HD and Spider IV Edit from it, no matter where I am. I understand I'd have to have an interface with Lightning/USB port conversion. Has anyone done this?

"Any way to run Workbench from my iPad?"

The technically correct answer is Yes... but how practical it is to use and whether it is really worth the bother is a completely different question.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id714464092?mt=8

You will need a Laptop with Wifi that actually runs Workbench (or Mac) and to set up a Wifi network between Tablet and Laptop. Plus Laptop to HD500 USB or other connection to the JTV.

Then use the Remote Desktop App to control the Workbench software actually running on the Laptop.

I honestly wish they would kind of use their workbench technology and maybe put it in the POD HD. I'm sure it could work if they tweak it. Load Variax workbench presets into the POD HD and be able to call them up through it? Would be amazing.

Would be nice to have some live form of workbench, nothing that writes to the bank memory but temporarily replaces the current patch.

I honestly wish they would kind of use their workbench technology and maybe put it in the POD HD. I'm sure it could work if they tweak it. Load Variax workbench presets into the POD HD and be able to call them up through it? Would be amazing.

Would be nice to have some live form of workbench, nothing that writes to the bank memory but temporarily replaces the current patch.

Or heck, the PodHD probably has a lot of storage space, and a Variax Workbench patch definition has got to be really small, like a few KB or less (it's just a list of a few dozen settings). Why not store a bunch of Variax guitar definitions inside the POD?

after the recent HD+JTV+workbench s/w-f/w releases, which integrated the JTV control thru the HD500, it now seems feasible 2 store the JTV model parameters on the HD per preset, reducing the number of 512 presets accordingly (say 256, more than enough).

under "JTV model parameters" I mean all those things we define thru workbench, such as:

1. body   : type

2. pu     :  type + position + angle + level + wiring + polarity

3. string params: volume + parallel pitch data (pitch+cents+mix only, no alt tuning, this is already handled by the HD500)

4. vol/tone pot settings

5. preset volume (magnetics blend is already handled by the HD500)

roughly assuming that the amount of RAM required 4 HD-preset-data storage is twice the RAM required 4 JTV-model-data- storage, the existing HD500 RAM suffices 4 storing 256 "extended-data" presets (ie both HD and JTV-model) instead of 512 HD only presets.

in this way, ALL necessary data wld b IMMEDIATELY one-button-accessible stored per preset...

the only foreseeable drawback wld b the longer interval necessary 4 loading each preset (?)

no hardware change required, only f/w + s/w updates...

• 3 years later...

I've just ordered a jtv 59p (lucky to find one used) for travelling.  i'm wondering if there is any work around for workbench... i usually travel only with an ipad to avoid damage to a computer in rough climates like thailand...   if this is not possible, what is the minimal requirements anybody knows for say getting a super compact cheapo windows machine to cover using workbench..? or is this something i could simply keep on a USB key and launch off a friends computer or internet caffe box??  I've unfortunately never seen workbench live so would really appreciate any help here.