Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Palm muting issue since updating to V2

Hello everyone, I own 2 JTV's , a 59 and an 89, I am VERY happy with both. But since updating to 2.0 firmware i have experienced the following issues

1. on the JTV 59, since going to 2.0 i now experince the palm muting issue on high gain sounds when the variax modelling is engaged. Is this an issue that is covered under warranty ? Also it doesn't seem to handle the alternate tunings quite as well as before, occasional warbles and such.

2. on the JTV 89 since updating to 2.0 all the modelled sounds come through VERY quiet. Switch back to the pickups and they are much louder. I rolled back to the previous firmware, 1.8,,or 1.9 or what ever it is, and the modelling all comes through at proper volumes.

So the big question, should i be taking them in to be looked at ? Someone from line 6  ? Also, I must add that i think the version 2 models are superior and totally awesome !!!!!

Cheers, Eddie

sosmusic,  

If you are still on 2.0 you really need to update to the newer version 2.10.  I have the JTV89 as well and the 2.0 update had issues so, I was using 1.9 until 2.10 came out.  I would suggest that if this is the case I would upgrade to the newest version of firmware.

• Upvote 1

I've also found many of the models in 2.0/2.1 to be noticeably quieter than 1.9. It's probably a deliberate change that they made for accuracy's sake, or some other internal reason us regular folks will probably never know about.

For example, for the last few months I've switched between the JTV and a Vax 300 transplant with the same HD500 patches, and I've found that 1.9 is comparable in sound to the original Variax 300/500/600/700 (except for the acoustic models).

In 2.0/2.1, though, they completely redid the models. Once adjusted for gain, I also like the 2.0 sounds better, though it's annoying to have to redo all my Pod patches to accommodate the level differences. As long as I'm using both a 300 and a JTV, I rolled back to 1.9 for tonal "compatibility", but once I have two JTVs I plan to retire the 300 and redo all the HD500 patches to tailor them for the new JTV 2.x sounds.

Is it a possibility to adjust your amp/pedals/modeling/whatever to compensate? Or do you also have other considerations like another guitar that you want to use as backup?

• 4 weeks later...

sosmusic,  

If you are still on 2.0 you really need to update to the newer version 2.10.  I have the JTV89 as well and the 2.0 update had issues so, I was using 1.9 until 2.10 came out.  I would suggest that if this is the case I would upgrade to the newest version of firmware.

+1 to that. I had exactly the same experience.