Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

can you join two m20d together

Yes... and No

You can route the L&R main (analogue) outs from the first M20d into a stereo paired pair of XLR (1-12) or balanced jack (13-16) inputs on the second, ie use the first like you would any other sub-mixer.

Pay *very* close attention to gain structure on that first M20d as, once the output is set, you shouldn't use the master output level control on it.

You would also need to very carefully consider what you would place through the first M20d... certainly not things where their levels are likely to be needing regular adjustment throughout a gig. Better for groups of things like Drums, Backing vox, brass sections etc where the overall mix within each group of inputs and collectively the groups will remain fairly constant. Put the stuff that needs spot boosting, lead vox, lead guitar etc into the second M20

Is anyone out there going this route?  If so, what is your set up?  I have seen some folks say that they are considering getting an analog mixer for the sub...but whatever effects you add to that via the m20d would effect every channel on the sub mixer...so that is kind of a bummer.   Anyone have any other solutions for using this product when you need more than the 12 xlr inputs?

Just to iterate, I haven't gone this route.

We get pretty close to all inputs used but I haven't had to go over 15 (12+3) yet. We run keys into a stereo pair on 13/14, and bass DI into 15.

BUT I do have a separate Yamaha MG124C analogue mixer which gives me 6 XLR inputs so I can increase the M20 by 5 (if running mono) and when doing this, my plan is to free up channels by running backing vox into the Yamaha. Our guitarist suggested running drums into the Yamaha but I was approaching it more from a recording point of view. I'd sooner retain individual tracks for the drums than backing vox!

If I were running a second M20, I'd add the channel effects individually on the (submix) M20 to which the input is routed, then run the inputs that (submix) M20 is routed to on the second M20 completely dry/flat. (if that makes sense!)

As I said first time, I'd only be tempted to use a submix in this way for "groups" of similar inputs, eg a complete drum mix or backing vox, even a brass section.

Thinking about it further, if you were to run backing vox and drums as submix on M20(1), you could pan all the drum inputs hard left and all the backing vox hard right, then have a drum master on M20(2) and a backing vox master by NOT stereo pairing the outputs. Run all FX for the drum and backing vox inputs on M20(1) then run in to 13-16 as you'll not need full additional FX processing.

All theoretical however, not done for real!

This is a fun subject. Thank you. Not that I would recommend this for obvious reasons but I have done some shows with two m20d s with full access to all mixing including individual monitor sends:

Connect the main out of unit 1 to input 11-12 of #2

Connect Mon a, b, c, d of unit 1 to input 13-16 of #2

Make sure no processing is on. Adjust the input levels so that an input on unit one comes out at the exact same level as an input on unit 2.

Adjust the mix on unit two so that 11-12 goes only to mains, 13 only goes to mon a, 14 only to mon b, 15,16- mon c, d.

Do not touch the output levels on unit one. Ever.

Have the exact same FX in both units.

Ta-da! 30 analog inputs- 22xlrs

• 2 weeks later...

Two comments:

If I connect the M20d#1 to the Aux In of #2, I could save 2 xlr input, then total 24 xlr , Yes or no?

In any case, With two M20d, I still have only 4 Aux/monitor output. No possibility to have 6 consistent Aux outs. Any idea?

one more mixer  :rolleyes:  :D  :D

Two comments:

If I connect the M20d#1 to the Aux In of #2, I could save 2 xlr input, then total 24 xlr , Yes or no?

In any case, With two M20d, I still have only 4 Aux/monitor output. No possibility to have 6 consistent Aux outs. Any idea?

Yes, you could use the 1/8" (ch17 & 18) instead of using mic channels, leaving you with 24 XLR mic inputs.

Having more monitor outputs depends on what you need to assign to them. You would not have any additional monitor sends that included all 24 mic channels, but if you used the second mixer as an expander for say a couple of groups ( like maybe drums and horns) you could independently send those groups ( up to 4) as independent monitor mixes. You can get very creative here, but it comes at the price of a more complex setup.

Two comments:

What about:

m20d#1 main out -> m20d#2 17/18 (aux in)

m20d#1 mon1 -> m20d#2 15 (line)

m20d#1 mon2 -> m20d#2 16 (line)

m20d#2 mon1 -> m20d#1 17 (aux in)

m20d#2 mon2 -> m20d#1 18 (aux in)

12 XLR inputs on m20d#1

12 XLR inputs on m20d#2

13/14 line on m20d#1

13/14 line on m20d#2

mon2, mon3 on m20d#1

mon2, mon3 on m20d#2

This would allow to have 4 monitors with access to all channels, and 24 xlr + 4 lines for input, with a mains out. 

Provided you consider mon1 the same channel as mon2 on the other m20d. (and mon2 -> mon4).

The biggest problem I can see is gain setting and the high pass filter on the inputs.

Further to the suggestions by pedromleite, and based on Arne's original plan, I had a brain churn and came up with the following:

M20d-1 XLR #1 Available

M20d-1 XLR #2 Available

M20d-1 XLR #3 Available

M20d-1 XLR #4 Available

M20d-1 XLR #5 Available

M20d-1 XLR #6 Available

M20d-1 XLR #7 Available

M20d-1 XLR #8 Available

M20d-1 XLR #9 Available

M20d-1 XLR #10 Available

M20d-1 XLR #11 Available

M20d-1 XLR #12 Available

M20d-1 TRS #13 Available

M20d-1 TRS #14 Available

M20d-1 TRS #15 Available

M20d-1 TRS #16 Available

M20d-1 TRS #17/18 Available

M20d-1 Mon A To M20d-2 TRS #13

M20d-1 Mon B To M20d-2 TRS #14

M20d-1 Mon C To M20d-2 TRS #15

M20d-1 Mon D To M20d-2 TRS #16

M20d-1 Main L To M20d-2 TRS #17

M20d-1 Main R To M20d-2 TRS #18

M20d-2 XLR #1 Available

M20d-2 XLR #2 Available

M20d-2 XLR #3 Available

M20d-2 XLR #4 Available

M20d-2 XLR #5 Available

M20d-2 XLR #6 Available

M20d-2 XLR #7 Available

M20d-2 XLR #8 Available

M20d-2 XLR #9 Available

M20d-2 XLR #10 Available

M20d-2 XLR #11 Available

M20d-2 XLR #12 Available

M20d-2 TRS #13 FROM M20d-1 Mon A Nil to mains, Mon B, Mon C, Mon D. 0db to Mon A

M20d-2 TRS #14 FROM M20d-1 Mon B Nil to mains, Mon A, Mon C, Mon D. 0db to Mon B

M20d-2 TRS #15 FROM M20d-1 Mon C Nil to mains, Mon A, Mon B, Mon D. 0db to Mon C

M20d-2 TRS #16 FROM M20d-1 Mon D Nil to mains, Mon A, Mon B, Mon C. 0db to Mon D

M20d-2 TRS #17/18 FROM M20d-1 MAIN L & MAIN R 0db to mains, Nil to Mon A, Mon B, Mon C, Mon D

M20d-2 Mon A To Monitor A

M20d-2 Mon B To Monitor B

M20d-2 Mon C To Monitor C

M20d-2 Mon D To Monitor D

M20d-2 Main L To Main Speaker/Amps

M20d-2 Main R To Main Speaker/Amps

This, in simple terms gives you;

24 x XLR

4 x TRS

1 x 1/8" stereo TRS

4 x monitor mixes (all channels accessible).

All monitor mix output levels and Mains controlled from M20d-2.

Special cables required:

4x XLR-F to 1/4" TRS

1x XLR-F+XLR-F to 1 1/8" Stereo TRS

Things to note;

M20d-2 channels 13-16 must have NO channel gain set and must only have monitor gain set for 13->A, 14->B, 15->C, 16->D

M20d-2 channel 17/18 must have no gain set to any monitor.

As has been previously mentioned, key to getting it all running would be mastering the gain structure.

I think the "theoretically possible" is the point. I can imagine *any* of the suggestions given could rapidly run away with you!

• 8 months later...

I see y'all forget about the line6 link thing which will allow to connect more than four monitors and speakers, btw is dat option deactivated when when you join two m20d?? If not then dats another option to consider if more moniters are needed......

Yes, you could use the 1/8" (ch17 & 18) instead of using mic channels, leaving you with 24 XLR mic inputs.

Having more monitor outputs depends on what you need to assign to them. You would not have any additional monitor sends that included all 24 mic channels, but if you used the second mixer as an expander for say a couple of groups ( like maybe drums and horns) you could independently send those groups ( up to 4) as independent monitor mixes. You can get very creative here, but it comes at the price of a more complex setup.

What about the line6 link, cant it be used to get more monitors