Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

VDI connection stopped working

I have a HD500 and a JTV-59 connected by an original Line 6 VDI cable.

All of a sudden there is no sound coming into/out of the HD500. Strangely enough the light of the model switch works (wihout the battery inserted).

I tried with a standard ethernet cable cable with the same result (it is powered through the cable but no sound either). 

Somehow the JTV does and/or the HD500 does not work properly.

Any ideas ???

• 4 weeks later...

Cannot see any mechanical / electrical reason for the issue.

Got my hands on a Variax 700 to try to locate the problem which turns out to be the JTV which is going back to my supplier.

Let's see what happens (I bought the JTV 1 year and 2 weeks ago, don't know how long the guarantee period is...).

The JTV and Variax use the same shaped connector as an Ethernet (RJ45) cable, but they don't use the 8 electrical lines in the same way. There's:

- Ground/earth/shield

- AES type digital audio (stereo/2-channel: models + mags)

- MIDI in

- MIDI out

- DC Power

If one of those connections is broken or interrupted (probably the audio in your case) then you get weird behavior. The connection could be interrupted at:

- Internal Pod circuitry

- VDI jack in Pod

- RJ45/Ethercon plug on the first end of the VDI cable

- Cable itself

- RJ45 plug on the other end of the VDI cable

- VDI jack in Variax

- Internal Variax circuitry (** especially the Molex / plastic multi-pin connectors **)

If you're experienced with repairing electronics and your JTV is out of warranty, you may want to open it up and reseat the plastic multi-pin connectors. I had a weird issue with a Variax 300 that was caused by dirty connections internal to the Variax connectors (which I cleaned with an eraser):

http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/83687

I hope that helps,

Matt