Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 Aux in louder than Guitar in?

alancasagrande

I noticed that the aux input is considerably louder than the guitar input in my unit, but I couldn't find any explanation on the user guide or forums.

Is that supposed to happen or may be a defect in my unit?

The amp block is on Path A (Path B is muted). The input 1 is Guitar+Aux and input 2 is Variax (nothing plugged).

I measured the gains of the various inputs and outputs and recorded the results here: http://line6.com/support/topic/848-gain-line-up-measurements/?hl=pfsmith0&do=findComment&comment=4669

The Aux input should have the same gain as Guitar Normal. Guitar PAD adds about 6dB of loss at the Guitar In jack. The other differences between Guitar In and Aux is 1) the tuner is only available at Guitar In, and 2) the input impedance of Guitar In is programmable while Aux is 1M ohm. I've seen no other differences between these two.

I assume you plug the guitar into Guitar In and then Aux without changing anything else and you're noticing a difference, right? Ideas are:

1) make sure the Guitar In switch is set to Normal

2) make sure the Input Impedance is set to global 1M

If you still hear a difference then perhaps the unit is defective. I can't think of anything else to do.

• Upvote 1

.... the tuner is only available at Guitar In,......

More accurately, the tuner is only available for Input 1, one of the two virtual/logical inputs. This virtual input can be set to include any of the physical inputs, including Aux. When Input 1 is set to include Aux, any instrument physically connected to the Aux input will be recognized by the tuner. Conversely, no physical input assigned only to Input 2 (including the Guitar input) is recognized by the tuner.

• Upvote 1