Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running pod hd500 through amplifi 150

broekster

Hi there,

I'm a proud owner of a pod HD 500 wich i used to connect to a spider IV. I recently bought the amplifi 150 but found out that on stage the amp is not very handy because i prefer foot pedals in stead of an ipad to control my sound. So my question is, when i'm pluggin my HD500 into the amplifi guitar input and use the amplifi on stage just as an amplifier, how should i set up my amplifi tone? Do I have to choose the same amp model for instance both on the POD HD 500 as on the amplifi to get a more natural sound? Does the amplifi in preset 1 automatically chooses the best setting? Please help me out because I'm rather dissapointed about using the amplifi on stage.

Wim (just a silly dutch name)

Hi there,

I'm a proud owner of a pod HD 500 wich i used to connect to a spider IV. I recently bought the amplifi 150 but found out that on stage the amp is not very handy because i prefer foot pedals in stead of an ipad to control my sound. So my question is, when i'm pluggin my HD500 into the amplifi guitar input and use the amplifi on stage just as an amplifier, how should i set up my amplifi tone? Do I have to choose the same amp model for instance both on the POD HD 500 as on the amplifi to get a more natural sound? Does the amplifi in preset 1 automatically chooses the best setting? Please help me out because I'm rather dissapointed about using the amplifi on stage.

Wim (just a silly dutch name)

Actually there are a few guys using their POD HD thru the AMPLIFi but they take the POD stereo out into the 1/8 aux input on the back of the AMPLIFi.  I would not run it into the guitar input, that just won't work well.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
Hi there,

So my question is, when i'm pluggin my HD500 into the amplifi guitar input and use the amplifi on stage just as an amplifier, how should i set up my amplifi tone? Do I have to choose the same amp model for instance both on the POD HD 500 as on the amplifi to get a more natural sound?

Hello Broekster. You have hit upon an interesting question. I have the pod hd400 and the amplifi 75. radatats is quite right that you should use the aux in on the back of the amp. You can control the volume from your pod 500 itself. In this case you would not plug anything into the guitar jack on the amplifi. The guitar cable goes to the pod 500 guitar input jack. The amp modelling on the Amplifi is being byPasssed and the guitar tone is coming all from the pod hd 500. An additional tip is to set your volume pedal at something like heel 50 toe 100. Then you can adjust your volume easily if things start to get a bit louder for some songs.

I always find if something works great in the living room it will crash and burn on stage with live musicians.

Any way hope this helps you.

Thanks for your responses. Plugging my pod output into the aux in on the amplifier worked but gave a crappy sound. So I bought the DT50 amp from line 6 and this works fine. I hardly use the amplifi anymore. Other people with similar experience?

Someone in another thread said that when you're using the aux in that the 12" speaker only serves as a subwoofer, has that been confirmed? 

If someone wanted to run a POD HD500X with the Amplifi and use the regular guitar input, would that work good if you used the remote app to set the Amp selection under Clean to "No Amp â€“ This model has no preamp or power amp model " and then remove or deselect everything else in the effects chain?  You could also select "No Cabinet" under CABS, I'm assuming that would turn off the Cab Mic as well?  I haven't figured out yet how to turn off the Cab Mic, unless it's the slider right above it?  I don't have a POD or I'd try it but I might get one so I'm still curious. 

The issue there is you would be running a (potentially stereo) Line Level output into a mono instrument level input, which would mono sum your input regardless. Any stereo separation would then need to come from the AMPLIFi's effects.

The aux in is Line Level and preserves the stereo signal.

The issue there is you would be running a (potentially stereo) Line Level output into a mono instrument level input, which would mono sum your input regardless. Any stereo separation would then need to come from the AMPLIFi's effects.

The aux in is Line Level and preserves the stereo signal.

Isn't that the way you would use the POD HD500X with an amplifier normally though?  Plug a guitar cable into one side of the unbalanced stereo out (which would then be mono) on the back of the POD to either the input of the front of the amp or into the effects loop if that's the preference?  Otherwise you'd have to get a cable/adapter that takes both the L/R unbalanced outputs into the one plug for the Aux-in on the back of the Amplifi.  In another thread someone said the 12" speaker is only a subwoofer when running anything into the aux-in, wouldn't that throw everything off?  I'm considering buying a POD HD500X and I'm wondering if I can really get away with not having to get a PA Speaker and just use the Amplifi 150 effectively.  Probably the best thing to do is just order it and then I'll see firsthand. 

Yes and no depending on your setup.

Taking the stereo issue out of the equation, the aux in of the AMPLIFi is better suited for the Line(s) out of an HD.

OK, thanks, I'll experiment with both when I get the POD HD.  I might still end up getting a DT25 or L2t to go along with the POD anyway (and keep the Amplifi as well). 

The HD's integrate with the DT's.

Yeah it's a nice setup.  I was thinking about returning the Amplifi for the POD + DT25 combo but then I thought about it and the Amplifi isn't expensive for all it does so I'm going to keep it.  I'm just trying to figure out the best way to use the POD with the Amplfi if I don't want to use the DT25 or take it with me for whatever reason.  Sounds like the aux-in is the way to go.  I'll see how it all works out soon, thanks. 

• 4 months later...