Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

what The Correct Amp for Pod hd500 ??

CoreBayu

This has been discussed endlessly...

Search for similar posts.

You could hook your POD to a straight power amp, guitar amp, etc. You'll have to decide that yourself and when you do ensure your POD is set to the correct "output" mode (read the manual).

The secret in getting the amp that "matches" is the one that sounds the best to you. ;)

There is no correct amp for the HD500.  The amp you buy depends on how you want to use the HD500 and what instruments you run through it and also your budget.  You may want to buy more than one amp to use the HD500 in different circumstances with different instruments. So first ask yourself these questions:-

1)  Will the HD500 be used for HOME use only (recording, practising) or will it be used for GIGGING live?

2) If you will be gigging with the HD500, will it be as part of a band or a solo performer or duo?

3) If gigging live, then what type of venues will you be playing? coffee bars, clubs, larger halls, stadiums?

4) What instrument will you be using with the HD500? Just electric guitar, or acoustic, or both or a JTV variax, and will you also want to use it for vocals?

5) Do you want to use all capabilities of HD500, such as synth type sounds, amp models and fx, or just the fx or just the models?

Once you know the answers to those questions then you can start looking at the right type of amp for your application.

For example:

A ) If you are a gigging guitarist in a band playing local small clubs then you probably want the Line6 DT25

B ) If you are a gigging guitarist performing as a soloist or part of a duo, doing vocals and acoustic guitar then you probably want the Line6 L2M

C ) You sometimes play as part of a duo and sometimes in a rock band, then you probably want both the DT25 and the L2M

D ) You don't have much money to spend - then you need to look at cheaper alternatives than the Line6 DT25 or L2M.

Hope that helps!

• 2 months later...

The easiest way is to run it into the effect return of a tube amp.Combos are fine and build some simple patches with no cab modelling. Just preamps and effects.Absolutely kills through all my tube amps this way. Turns my Fender Hot Rode Deluxe into whatever I want!

The Line 6 L2m is working amazingly well for me. It is also lighter than a combo amp or head and speaker can combination. -Max

Yep, me too. I have played through a friends DT25 and that sounded awesome too, possibly slightly better than the Stagesource. It was pretty close though. If you have a Variax the Stagesource wins is in the acoustic department hands down. The JTV-HD500-Stagesource rig is by far the best and most versatile I have owned.

Dt25 you wont be disappointed !

+1. Edstar1960 is really right. It does truly depend on what you want to do with it and it sounds great into the Effect Return/power amp in or using the 4 cable method on almost any good tube amp, not to meantion into a FRFR system or the L6 offering in that arena. But the DT25/50 is hard to beat.

I run JTV-59 -> Pod 500 -> L2m. I use the Variax acoustic and electric models as well as running a guitar synth into another input. This system gives me everything I need in one package. The DT amps are supposed to be great but won't work for acoustic or guitar synth tones.

-Max

Personally, I use a crate powerblock, and go straight into the back at the effects loop. It works perfectly for me! And since its only the power amp section I use, there is no need to carry round a big amp. 

The DT amps are supposed to be great but won't work for acoustic or guitar synth tones. -Max

Actually, that's not true.  I posted ages ago how to get great acoustic tones with your DT and the same method works for synth tones as well.  Not saying the Lseries aren't great, they are.  But the DT is amazing too.  

http://line6.com/support/topic/5553-acoustic-solution-for-jtv-with-dt-amps/