Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

variax battery charger power supply specs

I recently lost the power supply for my variax battery charger.

Nowhere in the manual or searching this forum can I find where to get a replacement without buying the entire variax battery charger, which comes to almost $70 with shipping and tax.

I think it is 12V and 1Amp with negative center terminal, but not sure, and not sure if it needs to be those exact specs.

Also it appears to be standard stomp box sized jack, but the hole is actually slightly smaller so the wall warts I have laying around will only fit if I shave some plastic off the jack, which I will do if I know it is the correct power.

Does everybody just automatically order a new battery charger when the wall wart dies or goes missing?

Thanks

Usually, the adapters (wall warts) say somewhere on their bodies. They will say something like Input 110-240V AC, Output 12v DC 1000mA  (just an example - I don't have mine in front of me) and if output is DC they should show a polarity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols

In my experience I've seen 4 important output attributes in a power adapter, and as long as the first 3 match exactly and the amperage is equal or greater, it should work fine (as long as the physical connection is correct):

1. AC or DC output - this has to match or damage to the equipment can result

2. Polarity (if DC) - this has to match. It's also easy to switch (flip the wire connections to the small output plug)

3. Voltage - This needs to match since the adapter will "push" its voltage on the equipment. Too high voltage = damage to equipment, too low = possible damage, won't work right

4. Amperage - The piece of equipment will "pull" the needed amperage from the adapter. Too little amperage in the adapter = overheating, damage, melting/fire hazard of the adapter. Sufficient or extra amperage in the adapter = no problem.

Thanks guys, all good now.

Line 6 tech support came through with the specs and even offered to ship me one at no charge!

In case anyone is needing to get a backup for themselves, he said the correct wall wart is:

12V DC and 1Amp with positive center terminal

So it is a good thing I did not plug in the negative center terminal one I had on hand!

• Upvote 1

• 7 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/27/2014 at 6:33 PM, mdmayfield said:

Usually, the adapters (wall warts) say somewhere on their bodies. They will say something like Input 110-240V AC, Output 12v DC 1000mA  (just an example - I don't have mine in front of me) and if output is DC they should show a polarity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols

In my experience I've seen 4 important output attributes in a power adapter, and as long as the first 3 match exactly and the amperage is equal or greater, it should work fine (as long as the physical connection is correct):

1. AC or DC output - this has to match or damage to the equipment can result

2. Polarity (if DC) - this has to match. It's also easy to switch (flip the wire connections to the small output plug)

3. Voltage - This needs to match since the adapter will "push" its voltage on the equipment. Too high voltage = damage to equipment, too low = possible damage, won't work right

4. Amperage - The piece of equipment will "pull" the needed amperage from the adapter. Too little amperage in the adapter = overheating, damage, melting/fire hazard of the adapter. Sufficient or extra amperage in the adapter = no problem.

Hi all. 

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I've just picked up a JTV Variax. The charger does not have the original charger plug and when I try charging the battery it will show red for a second or so and then cut out.  Sometimes it will flash red for a bit but the battery is totally dead - not showing any lights at all in the Variax when plugged in. 

I have tried using a 12v 1.5A charger which has  the correct polarity but no joy. I know the amoage is a little higher than the Line 6 one but can't think that will stop it from charging. 

Anyone got any ideas if the battery is toast or if the charger or wall charger is knackered?  

I have a Helix LT so can run the guitar off that luckily but I don't think that will charge the battery sadly. 

Thanks