Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Leslie simulation in HD500x

jbutler

Anybody had much luck programming Leslie that actually sounds close to a Neo Vent or a Strymon Lex?

Or even a Rotosphere or a Korg G4?

I am a guitar thru Leslie addict, and having trouble programming the Pod to sound decent. 

Have resorted to using my Boss RT-20 in the efx loop (my awesome Lex was recently stolen) and it sounds a lot better than any factory preset leslie patches, but I would rather stay in the box and not have an external pedal, and the extra D/A and A/D conversions.

Having a patch that could have programmable speed ramping would be awesome, but changing speed manually with expression pedal would work. But the most important thing is getting the doppler tone correct in the first place.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a bit of an old topic.

A real Leslie is typically used in place of an amp. I need to experiment but it doesn't seem to be very realistic to try and put the Leslie before or after an amp. I think you might want to start with no amp and use the Leslie as the amp.

-Max

I know this is a bit of an old topic. A real Leslie is typically used in place of an amp. I need to experiment but it doesn't seem to be very realistic to try and put the Leslie before or after an amp. I think you might want to start with no amp and use the Leslie as the amp. -Max

A really Leslie is an amp, but the effect on the HD was designed to work with an amp model. I don't think you'll have much luck having it sound right without one. There's nothing stopping you from trying it, though.

Eric Clapton has used a Marshall head to push his leslie cabinet forever. I've used leslies for many years on guitar using Fender amps. Back in the day, a little 40 watt leslie could not compete with Marshall stacks for stage volume. You had to resort to micing which became the norm but for a long time a lot of guitar players simply hooked the speaker to hot guitar tube amp and pumped that volume in to the rotating drums. I even had a guy one time that was using stereo leslies, one on each side of the stage. He had cut out a square in the plate and mounted a 100 watt EV solid state amplifier. All he had to do was run the extension cab lines to the other side of the stage. Just saying where there's a will, there's a way.

Ive always had decent results with the leslie mod and its injected into alot of my blues tones. Its as simple as fiddling with the settings and getting your brain into the less is more mindset. One thing ive learned with the POD is never Trust a DEFAULT SETTING .