Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Windows/Android app

Mikey333

I just got the "Dive Deep into Amplifi Tones" email from Line 6........ GRRRRR  (Hey everybody, we have a great new product. But -- you android and pc troglodytes.... get bent. Yea!)

I have long been a Line 6 devotee.  Two guitars, 3 amps, POD500, ..... it's a bit embarrassing how many Line 6 products I have.

Never again will I buy a Line 6 product.

Not being an Apple person, I still  bought the AMPLIFi 75 thinking an Android/Windows app would eventually be in the offing.

NOT ONE WORD from Line 6 about any plans or status for such a move.

Hey Line 6 -  screw you guys.  Absolutely NO customer loyalty to pc people - which is probably most of us.  You can't even put out one iota of information on the forum.

Seriously, what the heck is the problem with you people. (a literally useless usb port with no plans for it - c'mon man!)

they also sell covers for amps you don't own... accessories for wireless gear you don't own... amps for basses you don't play... and mixers and speakers that not every guitar player needs...

but because they made ONE particular line of amps that was never intended for you (being a self professed non-apple guy).. then they are suddenly not worthy of your time...

(where was the outrage, with mobile in, midi mobilizer, mobile keys... those were pretty much apple oriented....)

they never claimed that an android app would be delivered.... so if you bought it expecting one... then perhaps the problem was the expectations?

they did say that the usb is for future use.... strong possibility that could be for PC, or recording, or maybe even just apple product charging...  but at this point... the future has not arrived.

they will make more products... many with "you" in mind...

they will enable the USB to do something... (possibly moving the amp into a "you" category)

and they ALWAYS have surprises around the corner... as in updates, more products etc...

grab a guitar and an amp of your choosing and keep rocking... rather than getting upset.

I just got the "Dive Deep into Amplifi Tones" email from Line 6........ GRRRRR

I have long been a Line 6 devotee.  Two guitars, 3 amps, POD500, ..... it's a bit embarrassing how many Line 6 products I have.

Not being an Apple person, I still  bought the AMPLIFi 75 thinking an Android/Windows app would eventually be in the offing.

Hey Line 6 -  screw you guys.  Absolutely NO customer loyalty to pc people - which is probably most of us.  You can't even put out one iota of information on the forum.

Seriously, what the heck is the problem with you people. (a literally useless usb port with no plans for it - c'mon man!)

• Upvote 1

I never said that Line 6 "said" they were going to develop a pc app.  I said I bought the amp "thinking" they would move in that direction. 

You're right, how stupid of me to assume they would move to accommodate most people that use computers and/or smartphones.

What really bothers me is, not that they have never developed an app, but that no one has ever come out and articulated the issue one way or another.  If it's a contractual agreement with Apple, fine and dandy, just come out and say it!!!

I know I don't speak for everyone, but I know I do speak for a lot of  people.

By the way RealZap, I hardly need you to tell me how to feel.  I reserve the right to feel angry toward company that I view as "thoughtless" in their strategic marketing of a ground breaking product.  (That the usb is useless with no plans for it -- aye carumba.) You can't even, at a minimum, update the firmware for criminy sakes.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I sure do hope they at least add the ability to flash via USB soon. The BT updates are brutal!! 

As for iOS vs Android or Mac vs PC, I am will to bet the ratio amongst musicians vs the general public is a bit different.

Your viewpoint is what it is, but to view Line6 as thoughtless because a new product line is not currently supported on every platform is a bit extreme IMHO.

My guess (this is pure speculation) is they wanted to be first to market with this concept and had to make some trade-offs.

Sorry that you are upset Mikey333, like you I own many Line 6 products (AX212, PODXT Live, POD X3 Live (2), POD HD500 (2), POD HD500x, VAx 700, VAC700, JTV59, JTV 89F, and recently an Amplifi 75) and I am also an Android operating system guy and I am looking to update my Amplifi because of some annoying blu tooth issues. 

I agree it's frustrating but to claim that Line 6 somehow has no customer loyalty to their pc customer base is slightly over the top.

But I don't see how they are going to add the capability even for USB flashing if you have to have an IOS operating system to update it to get that capability.

I am also a Line 6 user of multiple products (dream rig, AmpliFi 150, pod XT, Pod X3).

There comes a point when you have to look at where the industry is developing software. I bought an first gen, refurbished iPad mini to take advantage of the many guitar related and music apps, including the AmpliFi app. Older iPads are not that expensive through ebay or refurbished on CowBoom.

I know it's not the solution for all, but it is a legit solution for me.

To me the Amplifi is kind of like beginner gear compared to the Dream Rig stuff.  I'm not knocking it but it really doesn't interest me.  The fact that it doesn't support Android would rule it out even if it was more advanced.  Since iOS stuff is proprietary and all the phones are identical, the programmers know that if it works on one, it will work on them all.  Since there are a bazillion Android phones out there, they will have to deal with a bunch of compatibility issues with some models.

I don't own any Apple stuff.  I do use an iPhone 4s for work but I prefer my Samsung Galaxy by a long shot.  (Although, If Microsoft doesn't come out with something way better than Windows 8 by the time I need my next computer I'll probably end up with my first Mac).

• Upvote 1

Purchasing something that clearly and completely does not work for you in the present and "thinking" that Line 6 will make itl work for you in the future is is not a smart purchasing decision. I get your frustration, but you should be frustrated with a usefull $450 wad of cash in your pocket as opposed to frustrated and angry with a useless $450 amplifier in your in your bedroom.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I almost made the same mistake back in May, 2014, when considering Amplify for my birthday. I'm a PC/Android guy. I did call Line6 and actually spoke to a human being who told me the android app was very likely on the way. Based on that response, I almost went for it hoping for the best. So far, still not a peep on this. While I can appreciate that Line6 has the right to make their own decisions on their products vs. market, it sure would be nice of them to at least give an official response on this: Will it be developed or not? I don't even need a date; just an offical communication on intent here rather than rampant conjecture on forums. Making what I think is a fairly large base of its customers guess on this and hope for the best is a bit unfair. I have been a customer of Line6 for many years; it was an essential part of my PC playing/recording rig in my home studio. They screwed me when they took away GuitarPort, which is the primary reason I went with Line6 gear: the ability to call up tones by artist or song is phenominal. It also provided backing tracks. Now, my UX100 is just another dust gathering stomp box. I then bought their looper, which has backing tracks, but not tone matching. The only way to get these tone-matching features now is sonic port or amplify; both only iOS-based products. So yes, I do feel like I have been screwed by Line6 and I think these reasons justfiy that feeling. I invested in Line6 and they have slammed the door in my face. I was going to reconsider Amplify for Christmas, but not if there is still silence on the PC/Android availablity. In the words of The Who: I won't be fooled again. Somebody else will come along and fill this niche if Line6 doesn't; I'll be first in line.

I just got the "Dive Deep into Amplifi Tones" email from Line 6........ GRRRRR  (Hey everybody, we have a great new product. But -- you android and pc troglodytes.... get bent. Yea!)

If they stated it would be available then you'd have a gripe but you shouldn't have bought it based on a rumor or an assumption.  I do agree with you though that they should make an official announcement regarding the issue.  Not buying their other products because of it doesn't make sense, really you're just spiting yourself.  Another poster brought up a good point about buying a used iPod or iPad and making use of its features for other things as well.  If you really like the Amplifi you should do that.

Even though I'm not an Apple person, if I really wanted an Amplifi I would buy a used or refurbished iPad like ice9mike recommended above.

Also, I think when it comes to Android devices, there's an issue with audio-in latency to deal with.  There's a fix for it but it's a hardware solution (software can't fix it).

Here's an article about it:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/22/sonoma-wire-works-cracks-the-code-finds-a-fix-for-the-low-latency-audio-in-issue-on-android/

The amplifi app acts as an editor for the amps effects etc, it doesn't record and playback at the same time, so latency isn't an issue with an android app.

I do agree however that line 6 should say whether or not there will be an app for android and pc/mac, if it is a no, fine we can all move on. 

• 2 weeks later...

If Android devices are to be supported soon, and it would be nice to know when v.2.0 will appear - my purchase of an AMPLIFi depends on it, does anyone know whether a link to i tunes on my main computer will be easy to achieve. I am worried that this connectivity may still present a problem.

Thanks

Graham

nowhere was there even a hint of PC/Mac link...

if that's what you're waiting for... prepare to continue waiting...

the android hint has been acknowledged officially and should be "soon"

If Android devices are to be supported soon, and it would be nice to know when v.2.0 will appear - my purchase of an AMPLIFi depends on it, does anyone know whether a link to i tunes on my main computer will be easy to achieve. I am worried that this connectivity may still present a problem.

Thanks

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link. Not all Androids will be supported.

http://line6.com/amplifi-guitar-amp-android/

That list is simply composed of the devices that we've been testing and developing on. We are certain they will work and have an optimal experience.

We also know there is literally thousands of Android devices on the market that could potentially work, but we can't confirm every single one. As such, we do not restrict installation on any android device, so long that it meets the requirements in the Google Play store.

We encourage you to install the app on whatever device you may have, but please know that your mileage may vary on devices not in our list.

WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!! 

I was so excited to get the email about Amplifi and android coming together I went out today and got the 150 from my LMS!

Got the patches installed to 2.0 which was easy with the instructions that popped up in the Amplifi Utility. I am pretty smart and didn't need it, but the programmers may want to add to the instructions WHEN to release the buttons to put it into program mode and do a factory reset. 

I am tickled and cannot wait to really figure it all out.

Thank you Line6.

I know there will still be a lot of people who complain but it seems line6 is doing a good job so far. BE PACIENT!

The only thing I don't see right now is a way to change the directory for where my music is located. It defaults to the folder where my ringtones are stored on the device. I would like to change my music directory in the app to look in my SD card at my music folder. 

Other that that little bug......Awesome

• 1 month later...

For just rocking out in the living room the Android works well. 

Kind of a pain to do some recording considering I do that with my PC but control Amplifi with my phone or tablet.

Need Amplifi Remote to work with PC

One device to rule them all!  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it didn't work. Merry friggin Christmas. Have to upload firmware for Android app support, but can't update the firmware. Followed all the crappy directions. Utility installed, but "device drive failed to install" when plugging in USB. Utility keeps saying device not connected; retry connection button does nothing. Device isn't recognized when plugged into Win7 laptop. Tried uninstalling, reinstalling. Tried holding Tone and Tap buttons on startup.Now what?

contact support: http://line6.com/company/contact/

Well, it didn't work. Merry friggin Christmas. Have to upload firmware for Android app support, but can't update the firmware. Followed all the crappy directions. Utility installed, but "device drive failed to install" when plugging in USB. Utility keeps saying device not connected; retry connection button does nothing. Device isn't recognized when plugged into Win7 laptop. Tried uninstalling, reinstalling. Tried holding Tone and Tap buttons on startup.Now what?

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Zap. I can see why you are rated an expert.  :-P

In case anyone else suffers the same fate, I had to do the OPPOSITE of what the directions specified. I had nothing to lose, so I tried plugging in the USB BEFORE installing the software (the directions are very specific about doing the opposite and not plugging in the USB first). That worked.

• 8 months later...

they also sell covers for amps you don't own... accessories for wireless gear you don't own... amps for basses you don't play... and mixers and speakers that not every guitar player needs...

but because they made ONE particular line of amps that was never intended for you (being a self professed non-apple guy).. then they are suddenly not worthy of your time...

(where was the outrage, with mobile in, midi mobilizer, mobile keys... those were pretty much apple oriented....)

they never claimed that an android app would be delivered.... so if you bought it expecting one... then perhaps the problem was the expectations?

they did say that the usb is for future use.... strong possibility that could be for PC, or recording, or maybe even just apple product charging...  but at this point... the future has not arrived.

they will make more products... many with "you" in mind...

they will enable the USB to do something... (possibly moving the amp into a "you" category)

and they ALWAYS have surprises around the corner... as in updates, more products etc...

grab a guitar and an amp of your choosing and keep rocking... rather than getting upset.

Hey you seen like you know what up with Line 6. Last weekend i bought the Amplifi TT then updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 9 which i guess was a pretty stupid move considering my Amplifi TT does not work now with the remote app. I still have like three weeks to take it back and get a refund cause right now its somewhat useless when the app does not work. Have you heard anything like them updated the application to work with the iPhones that have iOS 9 on them? This is very first post ever anywhere so don't beat me up too bad for the my question. I couldn't find a string that talked about a fix so just thought id ask ya. Thanks for the time and consideration

I'm 100% with the OP Mikey333, and think that the early responses are indiciative ofApple/Line6 fanboy approach. Mikey333 is right in many ways. To put it in the most simple terms I do not want to have to buy a new Apple phone every few years because the IOS has disabled the app - which anyone with an old Apple will know is what happens. To only have Apple support is ludicirous and Line6 cant get that right either. The latest IOS 9.0.1. update has limited the functionality I can use dramatically. Line6 failed to prepare for the release of the IOS and the changes, and this reflects an extremely poor approach to software and releases. No one in the software world would accept this approach, it is amatuer, flawed and problematic in the extreme. It is indicative of a company that has no idea about the busiess their product sits in and they have no business being in that market if they cannot follow established practices. They should be testing on a pre-release of each major ios release well in advance of it being released. Also they should be reviewing all release notes for minor releases to ensure it isnt going to impact thier app.

The only sensible approach to the app and on-going changes in the market is to ensure there is stable PC version available this means customers wont have to buy into to upgrading mobiles every few years, or being tied into Apple. Anything less is moronic and demonstrates a massive lack of understanding of the software world.

• Upvote 1

The 1st post is a bit dated.

They actually support Android too now.

I agree the ability to edit tones with a PC or Mac via USB would be a great feature.

At least you can record via USB.

I'm pretty sure Line6 was first to market with an amp and effects board that integrates with a smart phone, so they may have had a smidgen of an iota of the space they're working in.

Really? I heard that this was old hat, although the smart phone was new into the mix.

Regardless, clearly they are not set up in the right way to deal with the challenges the smart phone presents. If a business is going to start making software and bundle it with a new product billed as a game changer, then they shouldn't be doing it like amateurs - that is what I am referring to. Their software operation is not mature or robust in the area of apps. One has to wonder did they employ a school leaver with the skillset to program, but no experience of release management or testing perhaps? Whatever anyone says, their approach to app based software is indefensible for a global market leader and an established company. They should not have come to market until the issues were ironed out. I think a lot of folk would agree with that. They have left a lot of people high and dry for long periods with this product. The fact that still, days after IOS 9 is out we are all still waiting for a fix is extremely poor show.

I guess we can accept that part of the problem is that Line6 got themselves into a lot of trouble, and have recently been taken over by Yamaha, but it would be nice if Yamaha inflicted some zen on their Line6 operations, because I think it is fair to say there are a lot of very annoyed customers where the Amplifi is concerned and it could be so good with just the smallest bit more effort and focus on yamaha's part.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Well, it's March of 2016 and Line 6 has an official video where they proclaim you can download the Amplifi app to your PC, Android or iOS device. I have all 3 and the one that I was able to download EVERYTHING and UPDATE my recently purchased Amplifi 75 was my iphone. Which I dont want to use because what if I get a call or text while useing it. It already happened while updateing the amp, it shut everything down. couldn't use my amp. had to redo everything and finally got it to work.

I want to use PC to update because hard wire is faster than bluetooth. I want to use my Samsung tablet to run the app so I dont have to be concerned about interruptions.(there is no phone # associated with it.)

I'M PISSED! when I say I'm going to do something I do it and I expect the same of those I deal with. I give people chances to make things right, if they don't I kick them to the curb!

• Upvote 1

Well, it's March of 2016 and Line 6 has an official video where they proclaim you can download the Amplifi app to your PC, Android or iOS device. I have all 3 and the one that I was able to download EVERYTHING and UPDATE my recently purchased Amplifi 75 was my iphone. Which I dont want to use because what if I get a call or text while useing it. It already happened while updateing the amp, it shut everything down. couldn't use my amp. had to redo everything and finally got it to work.

I want to use PC to update because hard wire is faster than bluetooth. I want to use my Samsung tablet to run the app so I dont have to be concerned about interruptions.(there is no phone # associated with it.)

I'M PISSED! when I say I'm going to do something I do it and I expect the same of those I deal with. I give people chances to make things right, if they don't I kick them to the curb!

You can use your PC to update the amp. You use the Line 6 Updater app. You should also be able to run the Android version of the editor on your Samsung tablet. What is the problem you're having exactly?

• Downvote 1