Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording with POD HD500X

akshayahlawat

Hey guys, I bought the HD500X a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering how you use it to record your stuff?
When recording, do you just run the HD500 directly to your PC/Mac using the USB connection or do you connect it to an audio interface first and then take it to your PC?

In other words, do you use the HD500X as the audio interface or do you use whatever other audio interface you have as the interface in your DAW?

I use the USB which essentially turns your HD500 into a sound card. You then select it (make sure you choose ASIO for your driver mode in your DAW) as your recording source in the DAW's preferences. That way you skip two converters that would be used if you do it the other way.

• Like 1

I do not use the hd500x as the audio interface. I take the digital out from the pod to an internal soundcard with a digital input. So in this case there is no extra d/a conversions except the one to the headphones/speakers. Plus, whatever else might use audio on the computer (games, websites, music, etc.) doesn't rely on the pod being turned on.

I use the SPDIF out of my HD500 into a USB sound card SPDIF.  That way I can select dry out if I want to.  I prefer adding effects after I record often, using the POD's effects only to hear something going in.  I have used USB as well, but for me it works better this way.

I would say there is at least one disadvantage in one situation to using the pod as the interface. The pod has to be on to hear any sound. So if you're doing something else on the computer that requires sound, it relies on the pod. But if it's a strictly a one purpose computer, then that's what the pod is for. So then there is no disadvantage. This is with an internal sound card (not mainboard audio) in mind.

But then there are other audio interfaces, usually connected through usb i think, that have other goodies on them. Such as midi ports. Some might be able to connect the midi on the pod through the external usb audio interface, which in turn would allow your DAW to control the pod through midi. I've never done any of this, so I could be terribly wrong.

Is there any disadvantage to running it through another interface?

There is no degradation of audio quality if you're using the SPDIF out of a HD to a SPDIF in on another interface. As this is a digital connection, there is no conversion and the signal is identical.

If you took the analog out from a HD and went into the analog inputs on another interface the signal would degrade somewhat as there are two unnecessary conversions (D-A and A-D).

• 3 years later...

I would say there is at least one disadvantage in one situation to using the pod as the interface. The pod has to be on to hear any sound. So if you're doing something else on the computer that requires sound, it relies on the pod. But if it's a strictly a one purpose computer, then that's what the pod is for. So then there is no disadvantage. This is with an internal sound card (not mainboard audio) in mind.

But then there are other audio interfaces, usually connected through usb i think, that have other goodies on them. Such as midi ports. Some might be able to connect the midi on the pod through the external usb audio interface, which in turn would allow your DAW to control the pod through midi. I've never done any of this, so I could be terribly wrong.

This thread is so cattywompus. let me see if I can set things straight... I take issue with a lot of what I read here but I want to address this post in particular. This unit is extremely ROBUST with feature and functionality. And it seems like you all are using it inefficiently. 

Guru you first mention that the initial problem with using the HD500x as an interface is that it needs to be on to hear any sound. This is true of any device. To hear said device it needs to be on. I use my Pod as an external playback device in Windows too. No issue as the Pod runs independently from the computer through the same master bus. And you can easily switch between playback devices within windows so you CAN very much multi task audio with this unit as an Audio Interface. You then mention there are other Audio interfaces that connect to your computer via USB (which is how this one connects to your computer...) Which have other goodies such as midi ports? These comments are extremely strange as the Pod HD500X is a USB audio Interface with Midi port goodies on it. yes you are terribly wrong. Yes you can have the Pod receive Midi from your Host sequencer... But the beauty of the pod Is that you can do the exact opposite. Connecting the Pod via USB allows your DAW to do the following. Use the Hardware I\O on the pod as its own hardware interface ( this includes midi ). Now what's so important about this is that when you record audio into a computer you're faced with latency. The pod does two things to triumph this obstacle. First it offers Zero latency input monitoring. This means you can hear the input in real time with no delay of the computer processing. 2. HD onboard DSP. you can record with HD effects with Zero latency into your DAW. If you use a software like ableton live this becomes extremely useful as a live performance tool. letting you record high resolution guitar and vocals with high definition models of amps and effects of everything from guitar rigs to $4000 opto leveling compressors. Although you very much can go digital out into a separate audio interface that's not what the spdif out was designed for. That's a highly inefficient use of the hardware. The spdif out was intended for use with high end digital PA systems like the BOSE that offers digital input. Adding more items to a signal chain makes that signal chain as venerable  as its lowest quality part. This unit is extremely versatile. From a PA head to a guitar pedalboard, amp modeler, guitar preamp, vocal Preamp, Audio\Midi interface\Soundcard, Midi controller. its quite a bit to wrap your head around but once you do... its a vital component for any guitarist.

I do not use the hd500x as the audio interface. I take the digital out from the pod to an internal soundcard with a digital input. So in this case there is no extra d/a conversions except the one to the headphones/speakers. Plus, whatever else might use audio on the computer (games, websites, music, etc.) doesn't rely on the pod being turned on.

The Pod must be on in order to use it for anything

This thread is so cattywompus. let me see if I can set things straight... I take issue with a lot of what I read here but I want to address this post in particular. This unit is extremely ROBUST with feature and functionality. And it seems like you all are using it inefficiently. 

Guru you first mention that the initial problem with using the HD500x as an interface is that it needs to be on to hear any sound. This is true of any device. To hear said device it needs to be on. I use my Pod as an external playback device in Windows too. No issue as the Pod runs independently from the computer through the same master bus. And you can easily switch between playback devices within windows so you CAN very much multi task audio with this unit as an Audio Interface. You then mention there are other Audio interfaces that connect to your computer via USB (which is how this one connects to your computer...) Which have other goodies such as midi ports? These comments are extremely strange as the Pod HD500X is a USB audio Interface with Midi port goodies on it. yes you are terribly wrong. Yes you can have the Pod receive Midi from your Host sequencer... But the beauty of the pod Is that you can do the exact opposite. Connecting the Pod via USB allows your DAW to do the following. Use the Hardware I\O on the pod as its own hardware interface ( this includes midi ). Now what's so important about this is that when you record audio into a computer you're faced with latency. The pod does two things to triumph this obstacle. First it offers Zero latency input monitoring. This means you can hear the input in real time with no delay of the computer processing. 2. HD onboard DSP. you can record with HD effects with Zero latency into your DAW. If you use a software like ableton live this becomes extremely useful as a live performance tool. letting you record high resolution guitar and vocals with high definition models of amps and effects of everything from guitar rigs to $4000 opto leveling compressors. Although you very much can go digital out into a separate audio interface that's not what the spdif out was designed for. That's a highly inefficient use of the hardware. The spdif out was intended for use with high end digital PA systems like the BOSE that offers digital input. Adding more items to a signal chain makes that signal chain as venerable  as its lowest quality part. This unit is extremely versatile. From a PA head to a guitar pedalboard, amp modeler, guitar preamp, vocal Preamp, Audio\Midi interface\Soundcard, Midi controller. its quite a bit to wrap your head around but once you do... its a vital component for any guitarist.

The HD500X does indeed have midi ports, but they are only for connecting external gear, excluding a computer, unless there is another device between the HD500X and the computer, such as a USB-to-MIDI interface, or another audio interface with this functionality, which you mentioned above.

When I used my HD500X, it was only in conjunction with Reaper, so it didn't have to be turned on all the time; no need to waste electricity. The digital output was used for monitoring. Never had a problem using it this way and am not sure what's inefficient about it. I use Helix now the same way.

The HD500X does indeed have midi ports, but they are only for connecting external gear, excluding a computer, unless there is another device between the HD500X and the computer, such as a USB-to-MIDI interface, or another audio interface with this functionality, which you mentioned above.

When I used my HD500X, it was only in conjunction with Reaper, so it didn't have to be turned on all the time; no need to waste electricity. The digital output was used for monitoring. Never had a problem using it this way and am not sure what's inefficient about it. I use Helix now the same way.

The HD500x shares audio and Midi I\O over USB. Go into reaper and select POD HD500x as an ASIO device you can now add Midi to your computer via the POD. All midi to and from the POD and Computer happen over the USB cable. The computer now uses the PODs Midi connectivity as well. It is the USB audio\Midi interface doesn't need a redundant one in between.

The HD500x shares audio and Midi I\O over USB. Go into reaper and select POD HD500x as an ASIO device you can now add Midi to your computer via the POD. All midi to and from the POD and Computer happen over the USB cable. The computer now uses the PODs Midi connectivity as well. It is the USB audio\Midi interface doesn't need a redundant one in between.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XVibpEoYhnQU3gutncKZIWR6vLC-VQ1F/view?usp=sharing

Just to be clear all Midi capability of the POD as a controller (using the POD as a midi controller for Pod software or third party software) is done via usb you then can also use the midi interface on the pod to control or recieve control from whatever external Midi devices. But all midi communication between the pod and the Computer happen via USB when connected (audio too)  :) 

Perhaps we're thinking of something different. The HD is not capable of sending MIDI data over USB, or you can't control the HD from you're DAW via USB, and vice versa. The HD is only an audio interface.

Guru, I believe you are just misinformed. Please refer to the picture I have posted of my MIDI Preferences panel in Live. Also  Please refer to Page 9 Section 9 of the Pod HD500x Manual. The Section is USB audio, The sub-section is MIDI. I have Provided a picture of this also. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cr2tjm-3JT5LH-ui8pwRHQjrKbSQh1gI/view?usp=sharing

I still think we must be thinking of different things, or the terminology Line 6 chose to use might be confusing. The HD is simply not capable of sending MIDI data over USB. It understands MIDI data, but only through the dedicated MIDI din connectors. The type of MIDI data I'm referring to is CC and PC messages. See appendix B of the manual.

The picture you linked above is showing information about MIDI clock sync.

If you are talking about sending CC info from the computer to the Pod to cahnge a preset, It cannot do that ( why would you want to do that? )

Yes. This is what I've meant. It is very useful for automating not only preset changes, but toggling a presets blocks and controlling the HD's expression controllers, etc., from your DAW.

Ah ok. Im not using it for this at all. I use it as a zero latency recording and monitoring solution for guitar and Vocals. I do a lot of live performance with a DAW. relying on third party audio software is highly taxing on the system and causes great latency. This solves that. And... Sounds really good. And allows me to record with Fx Pre or post recording. It would be really smart for Line 6 to take a nod from Ableton and Native Instruments and implement full Midi integration\control. I see a lot of guys including yourself saying they want to see the DAW be able to change patches in the Pod. for me it would be much more advantageous to be able to send midi cc from the pedalboard to say... Ableton to engage recording, or activate the looper in Ableton. or to  Control a Plugin Via Midi like Guitar rig or... LINE 6 Plugins!!! That's Right! You cant use midi from the board to do anything outside the board!? I'm almost certain they fixed this in Helix (could be wrong) but they don't do a firmware upgrade to the 500x. Why not? It's really kind of appalling!?

Helix does have MIDI over USB. It's very convenient.

For the HD500X, you could always get something cheap like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B94W7Z/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_boEuh_c_x_3_w/132-5126778-4843321?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=DH8M8EQWYK86F13WWBYC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=c515cc61-1edc-59c3-aab2-673ee6fe243a&pf_rd_i=11973731

With that you could control the HD from the DAW, or you could control the DAW with the HD.

It seems redundant to use another interface when the hardware is already present here

That's true in in some situations, but for me, I use the computer for other things and there are advantages to having a primary, dedicated audio interface (internal soundcard) that simply passes through the HD's, or Helix's, signal to the speakers or headphones.