Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PODHD got zapped - now has a hum

joel_brown

At my last gig, I must have run into some bad electrical wiring and my PODHD and amp had a bad 60hz hum.  I didn't think much of it, although one of my bass player's pedals shocked him and it blew out.  When I got home I set everything back up and still had the 60hz hum.  So I plugged in my old POD 2.0 to see if the amp still had the hum but it was perfectly quiet.

I guess the PODHD or it's power supply got zapped - damnit.  Guess I'll be buying another.

I used to think my POD 2.0 sounded pretty good into my amp but after using the PODHD for a few years and getting my sound tweaked just right, it was no comparison.  I'd rather use the PODHD with the hum until I get another one than go back to the POD 2.0.

btw - if anyone has any suggestions for how to fix the newly found 60hz hum, I'm all ears.

Are you sure no one accidentally bumped the hum dep control to max? :lol:

Joking aside, that really sucks. Short of taking it to an electronics repair shop, the only suggestion I have about fixing it would be to take it apart and look around inside. It could be something simple such as a blown cap, which could even be visible by the top sort of bulging. But it's more likely something not visible such as damaged ic.

I'd of thought the external PSU would blow out first.

It is the type PSU that samples the incoming voltage rather than transforms the voltage.

Anyway, what I mean is check out the PSU too.

Also be sure your guitar cables are in perfect order.

Cables and amps are working fine.  When I hooked up my POD 2.0 in place of the PODHD it was the normal dead quiet.  Even then I swapped out cables with the PODHD just to make sure.  I'll pop it apart and see if I can find anything obvious.  I checked the voltage on the PSU and it was a perfect 9volts.

I went ahead and ordered a new PODHD.  When it comes in I'll know if it's the power supply or the actual unit itself. 

I think the outlet I plugged into when it got zapped had the white neutral wire going to earth ground.  I've seen this before and that was the problem.  I need to start bringing my outlet tester with me again.

i would not flash while you dont know if it is a voltage problem, which it probably is. might leave the flash less than orderly.

if you measure the 9V, be sure to have it hooked up to the pod, idle mode may not reveal problems like with a load.

but if it was the psu, it would probably show as flickering or at least dimmed lcd. i could be wrong.

a diode in one of the onboard voltage converters could be it.  they dont work @ 60 hz though, more like >10khz.

have you tried setting the hum parameter in the pod to 50 cycles, does it change the hum you experience?

the setting is on page 2 of the global setup page. couldnt find it in the edit software.

i would not flash while you dont know if it is a voltage problem, which it probably is. might leave the flash less than orderly.

if you measure the 9V, be sure to have it hooked up to the pod, idle mode may not reveal problems like with a load.

but if it was the psu, it would probably show as flickering or at least dimmed lcd. i could be wrong.

a diode in one of the onboard voltage converters could be it.  they dont work @ 60 hz though, more like >10khz.

have you tried setting the hum parameter in the pod to 50 cycles, does it change the hum you experience?

the setting is on page 2 of the global setup page. couldnt find it in the edit software.

I agree it's a good idea to check the voltage output of the PSU since the op says it got zapped. I've reflashed all my devices countless times with success everytime. I'm of the opinion that sometimes while your making patches something goes wrong during a particular setting change and it just messes up the digital brains so to speak. Suppose a power outage or spike could cause the same scrambling of the brains. Everytime I've had to reflash, it happened while making a change either by using the GUI (HD Edit or other) while connected to a computer or even just making changes way too fast on the device itself.

I really need to order an automatic voltage regulator.  I'm worried about something like this happening and I can't justify just buying another HD500X.

Not a bad idea. I've been thinking about this for quite a while just haven't acted on it yet. I realize now with life experience that not all places have the same quality current, lol. I've always used power strips.

I'll try the 50hz setting and see of it changes anything.  Not going to reflash anything until I get my new unit in place.  I'm hoping it's just the power supply.  I'll know in a few days when the new unit comes in.  Gott'a have backups of everything anyway.  I'm lucky in the fact that's it's still useable and could do my gig today.  Just has that 60hz hum that drives me crazy in between songs.  It's not terrible, just annoying.