Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't update Line 6 Monkey on Mac OSX Yosemite

Hi Everybody. I solved all my issues downgrading to Mavericks. Now I'm a happy man. Yosemite is not good for Music apps. There are a lot of tutorials online for how to downgrade from Yosemite to Mavericks. I hope helps you.

• 4 weeks later...

you probably need to try the solution quoted here

same problem here.

Bought Pd hd 500x 1 week ago, and i'm not able to update firmare.

Monkey doesn't launch.

Yosemite OS

what can i do??

thank you

Hello everyone

My Spanish is very weak but I do concur that the Avid CoreAudio plug-in installed by proTools causes the problem in my setup as well.

I was working on a project today that used a Native Instruments plug-in called Guitar Rig. It would not work in ProTools. When I tried to launch the standalone version is exhibited the same bouncing icon behavior as Monkey does with Yosemite.

There is a procedure on the Native Instruments web site that describes how to relocate the Avid CoreAudio plug-in. After a reboot. Both Guitar rig and Line 6 Monkey launched correctly.

If you use Avid Hardware - you need this plug-in for ProTools. I use MOTU hardware so when I removed the plug-in, Guitar rig, Monkey and proTools all worked correctly.

If you are not using ProTools and you have the problem - you should check all of the software you use for Yosemite Compliance. It may be another package causing the problem. But if you use ProTools this fix may get you going again.

I have pasted in the information from the Native Instruments Web Site here below.....

Hope this helps

Art Braun

My NI Application Does Not Launch Under Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite

Disclaimer: This article describes the manual uninstallation of a third-party manufacturer component. Native Instruments cannot be held responsible for any damages to your system caused by following these instructions.

Products with a hardware dependency, such as MASCHINE, KOMPLETE KONTROL, TRAKTOR, GUITAR RIG, and Controller Editor will not launch when the AVID CoreAudioManager / Drivers are installed under 10.10 Yosemite. In stand-alone mode the application will freeze after launching, in plug-in mode the plug-in validation of the host program will fail, which might crash or freeze the host program or make the plug-in unavailable within the host program.

Native Instruments and Avid are working together to resolve this compatibility issue.

Follow these step-by-step instructions to temporarily remove the Avid CoreAudio driver in order to allow NI products to run properly under Mac OS 10.10:

1. Open the Finder and locate the following folder: Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > HAL
  2. Copy the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" to another location, for example the Desktop.
  3. Delete the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" from the HAL Plug-in folder.
  4. Type in the admin password when prompted.
  5. Restart your computer.

While you still can fully use Pro Tools without the Avid CoreAudio driver, it is not possible to monitor the audio output of any third-party application using your Avid audio interface. If you require this functionality again, you need to move the file back to its original location and restart your computer. In this case, the mentioned NI applications will stop working again.

doesn't matter... other software in the referenced HAL folder can cause issues launching monkey...

i had the issue and did not have pro tools either... i also use logic....

IT WORKS!!

I had an avid core audio plugin in the HAL folder. I moved it out and now monkey is running!

Great!

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

it worked... for him.... it worked for me... it's worked for countless others....

it does have risk... the HAL fold (stands for hardware abstraction layer) can hold critical drivers...

only remove the avid ones...

or other ones that you are familiar with and recognize that you don't need.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked my HAL folder and found NI and M-Audio drivers from my old apps.  I removed them but my problem still persists.

I guess mine is a bit different.  I have no problem starting Line6 Monkey, my problem is that it won't install the drivers and couldn't detect my PODHD500.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys !

It's late but I met the problem willing to check if my Pocket Pod was up to date !

And Monkey was not, and it said it could install because of the OS X version ...

So I read ALL the items of this page ... nothing worked !

So I downloaded the Monkey in the Line 6 support/download page :    TADAAA !

No more problem . So ! Enjoy ...

• 2 months later...

I was having similar issues and contacted support.  Their response was quick and works great!  Here you go:

Hi, and we're sorry about the trouble you've run into with your system. Since the release of Apple’s Yosemite OS, we’ve seen a relatively small number of reports that Line 6 Monkey does not open on some systems running Yosemite. This is a system configuration issue whose result affects not only Line 6 software, but possibly other software on a given computer.

Please move or delete any .plugin file from the Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL folder, then restart your computer and open Monkey.

Please let us know the results.

Best regards,

Jelena
Line 6 Support

• 1 month later...

How is it possible that you guys (Line 6) still haven't fixed this?? There are so many Line 6 tools on my Mac I still can't use because it doesn't matter how many times I uninstall and install Line 6 Monkey it still won't open. Please let me know how I can fix this or when you will finally put out a working update. It's been well over a year.

how did you get to this thread and miss the fix... that's long posted.. .and long working.....

Follow these step-by-step instructions to temporarily remove the Avid CoreAudio driver:

1. Open the Finder and locate the following folder: Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > HAL
  2. Copy the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" to another location, for example the Desktop.
  3. Delete the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" from the HAL Plug-in folder.
  4. Type in the admin password when prompted.
  5. Restart your computer.

How is it possible that you guys (Line 6) still haven't fixed this?? There are so many Line 6 tools on my Mac I still can't use because it doesn't matter how many times I uninstall and install Line 6 Monkey it still won't open. Please let me know how I can fix this or when you will finally put out a working update. It's been well over a year.

That might be the fix to a problem but not my problem since I don't have any Avid plug-ins in my computer whatsoever and already deleted anything I didn't recognize from my library folder... Thanks for your "help"?

how did you get to this thread and miss the fix... that's long posted.. .and long working.....

Follow these step-by-step instructions to temporarily remove the Avid CoreAudio driver:

• Open the Finder and locate the following folder: Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > HAL
  • Copy the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" to another location, for example the Desktop.
  • Delete the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" from the HAL Plug-in folder.
  • Type in the admin password when prompted.
  • Restart your computer.

remove it even IF you recognize it....

put it on your desktop for restoration later....

perhaps this will allow monkey to open....

unless you have a problem with your computer.... thats the likely issue...

they arent going to fix your computer for you.

That might be the fix to a problem but not my problem since I don't have any Avid plug-ins in my computer whatsoever and already deleted anything I didn't recognize from my library folder... Thanks for your "help"?

• 3 months later...

Ok, i also do not have any avid files within plug ins, i have removed all folders from HAL  onto the desktop and tried that and still no updates available. It continues to allow the download but on reboot just shows missing drivers.

This is happening on two separate macs running Yosemeti.

Really frustrating, any help would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys !

It's late but I met the problem willing to check if my Pocket Pod was up to date !

And Monkey was not, and it said it could install because of the OS X version ...

So I read ALL the items of this page ... nothing worked !

So I downloaded the Monkey in the Line 6 support/download page :    TADAAA !

No more problem . So ! Enjoy ...

This fixed everything for me too. Since I don't have a /HAL/ folder, nor Avid drivers etc, this worked:

1) go here: http://de.line6.com/software/?submit=Show&name=Line+6+Monkeyand download.

2) our idiot Monkey friend should reinstall itself.

3) and THEN you can run the updates for your outdated drivers. Bingo. All fixed for me.

If only there were some kind of "helper Monkey thing" that could do all this. If only I could call him up and he could find any updates I needed and fix these issue automatically. If only he didn't get sick and die every time there's an OSX update. Of course I have to reinstall him every time. How stupid of me. Every time I need to use an app, I need to reinstall it. Got it. Stupid, stupid, me.

(I swear to god when become a rich man I'm ditching all my Line6 gear. Until then, I suffer... )

• 1 year later...