Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't update Line 6 Monkey on Mac OSX Yosemite

this problem was in another thread....

Yosemite is identified as 10.1 (dropping the 0)

and does not pass the requirements,....

whether its a mac issue or a monkey issue...

it just doesn't work, and is not likely to be acknowledged either way by line6 until the OS comes out of beta...

which is about a week from now...

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately it has not been fixed. I'm running Yosemite (not the beta!) and Monkey can't be installed.

Just received confirmation, that Line6 is aware of this intends to have their software installers updated before the official release of Yosemite.

they fixed the installers... so that it would install... (before release)

obviously the drivers have issues for some people and they are still working on it.

at the time i wrote that the driver was not "broken" it simply would not install on the beta.

Unfortunately it has not been fixed. I'm running Yosemite (not the beta!) and Monkey can't be installed.

Hello, I installed Yosemite 10.10 and restored from time machine all my data and software, including everything about Line 6, everything works fine except line 6 Monkey 1.68, this software didn´t start, I uninstalled and installed several times, I don´t want to uninstall all for fear that the installer does not work, there will be a 1.69 or 1.70 version?

Thanks for the information. Regarding Monkey not starting in Yosemite, we still can't reproduce the failure, but we continue to try to chase this down. In the meantime, please try these recommendations. 

-Try launching Monkey directly from the applications folder rather than the dock.

-Delete Monkey from the Dock and re-add it to the dock.

-Run “Repair Disk Permissions” from the Disk Utility application.

-Quit and relaunch the dock:  open the terminal app and type “killall Dock”.

Please let me know if any of these resolve the issue. 

Just bought HD500X and was able to download the edit. I downloaded Monkey as well so I could update the Firmware on my unit which says it is on FW:V1.00. I am having the exact same problem, Monkey installs but will not launch in a usable form - the Monkey bobs up and down on the dock for a bit before I can see "Application not responding."

THIS IS FRUSTRATING

Would sure like to update my new HD500X with the latest firmware!!!!!!! 

HELP ANYONE?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to run Monkey on my Mac using Yosemite too, but it simply don't work! :/ the icon in the dock is there as if it's open, but nothing more happens :/ I re-installed it two times but still the same :/ 

• Upvote 1

Hello all

I have had a support ticket open on this topic since November 21.  There has been no response on my ticket for about two weeks now after I was given  the last round of suggestions even though I have requested an update on the situation.

I have tried everything suggested by Line 6 and all I get is a bouncing icon and no Monkey Window on my Yosemite desktop. MacOS shows that it is running. The Force Quit window does not say the app is unresponsive but there is no Monkey User Interface to be found....

Interestingly, I have a number of other Line 6 apps installed (latest versions of Pod Farm, HD500 Edit, Variax Workbench HD, License Manager, and the Audio Drivers) and they all seem to work fine.

But Line 6 Monkey sure does not.

C'mon guys - this should be something relatively straightforward. Everything worked like a champ with Mavericks...... What did you change with Yosemite?

Back up and start over.

Some sort of news, update, or effort on your part to at least communicate the status of this situation would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Art Braun

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. Regarding Monkey not starting in Yosemite, we still can't reproduce the failure, but we continue to try to chase this down. In the meantime, please try these recommendations. 

-Try launching Monkey directly from the applications folder rather than the dock.

-Delete Monkey from the Dock and re-add it to the dock.

-Run “Repair Disk Permissions†from the Disk Utility application.

-Quit and relaunch the dock:  open the terminal app and type “killall Dockâ€.

Please let me know if any of these resolve the issue. 

I'm sorry I write in Spanish, you can use Google Translate. I think I found the issue.

Tengo una MacBook Pro i5, Mac OS X 10.10.1 (Yosemite). Tengo instalado Pro Tools 10.3.9. Tengo también instalado Line 6 Monkey y GearBox. Después de la actualización a Yosemite noté que no podía abrir Monkey ni GearBox (puede que no me funcionaran desde antes pero hasta ese momento lo noté); estos permanecían brincando en el Dock pero no abrían. Hice todo lo que encontré en una búsqueda en Google, inclusive lo que dice aquí arriba; nada funcionó. Entonces después de mucha investigación esto fue lo que hice y me funcionó:

Abrí Activity Monitor

Click en Monkey Line6 Info

Noté los procesos que involucra esta aplicación y noté que involucra el "Avid CoreAudio.plugin". Arrojé éste componente al basurero o bien lo saqué de su carpeta original y "¡voilá!" Funciona todo perfectamente. También funciona GearBox.

Descubrí que Avid CoreAudio.plugin es un complemento conflictivo porque también trae problemas a algunos usuarios de NativeInstruments e inclusive, ocasiona que en Activity Monitor marque en rojo, como "Not responding" la aplicación de CoreAudio.

Ahora serán los señores de Avid (cuando se les antoje y NO NOS COBREN POR ESO) decirnos qué está mal con este componente. Lo arrojé fuera de la carpeta donde suele estar y he corrido Pro Tools sin problemas.  Dicho sea de paso, Pro Tools lo uso muchísimo. Por cierto... si quieres usar Pro Tools 10 recomiendo NO actualices a Yosemite porque hay más conflictos aún que los mencionados aquí. Yo lo hice.

Espero el haber compartido mi experiencia te sirva. God Bless!!

Hello everyone

My Spanish is very weak but I do concur that the Avid CoreAudio plug-in installed by proTools causes the problem in my setup as well.

I was working on a project today that used a Native Instruments plug-in called Guitar Rig. It would not work in ProTools. When I tried to launch the standalone version is exhibited the same bouncing icon behavior as Monkey does with Yosemite.

There is a procedure on the Native Instruments web site that describes how to relocate the Avid CoreAudio plug-in. After a reboot. Both Guitar rig and Line 6 Monkey launched correctly.

If you use Avid Hardware - you need this plug-in for ProTools. I use MOTU hardware so when I removed the plug-in, Guitar rig, Monkey and proTools all worked correctly.

If you are not using ProTools and you have the problem - you should check all of the software you use for Yosemite Compliance. It may be another package causing the problem. But if you use ProTools this fix may get you going again.

I have pasted in the information from the Native Instruments Web Site here below.....

Hope this helps

Art Braun

My NI Application Does Not Launch Under Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite

Disclaimer: This article describes the manual uninstallation of a third-party manufacturer component. Native Instruments cannot be held responsible for any damages to your system caused by following these instructions.

Products with a hardware dependency, such as MASCHINE, KOMPLETE KONTROL, TRAKTOR, GUITAR RIG, and Controller Editor will not launch when the AVID CoreAudioManager / Drivers are installed under 10.10 Yosemite. In stand-alone mode the application will freeze after launching, in plug-in mode the plug-in validation of the host program will fail, which might crash or freeze the host program or make the plug-in unavailable within the host program.

Native Instruments and Avid are working together to resolve this compatibility issue.

Follow these step-by-step instructions to temporarily remove the Avid CoreAudio driver in order to allow NI products to run properly under Mac OS 10.10:

1. Open the Finder and locate the following folder: Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > HAL
  2. Copy the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" to another location, for example the Desktop.
  3. Delete the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" from the HAL Plug-in folder.
  4. Type in the admin password when prompted.
  5. Restart your computer.

While you still can fully use Pro Tools without the Avid CoreAudio driver, it is not possible to monitor the audio output of any third-party application using your Avid audio interface. If you require this functionality again, you need to move the file back to its original location and restart your computer. In this case, the mentioned NI applications will stop working again.

• Upvote 1

EUREKA! HALLELUJAH!! THAT FIXED IT!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  What a great Christmas present!  I was litterally about to perform a clean install of my Yosemite 10.10 when I decided to check the Line6 Forum one more time to see if anyone had a solution yet...

Attention to all Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10 owners running Pro Tools and not able to launch Line6 Monkey; Follow Art Braun's 5-steps outlined above and you'll now be able to update all your line6 gear using the Line6 Monkey App! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

workbench is java related... fix your java and that should fix that... same with edit... 

look at the fix for monkey a few posts up (fixed mine)

it's your mac that changed not your line6 software....

although i'm sure that doesn't matter to you...

both workbench and edit have not been supported officially for years...

but they worked anyway because apple didn't make any changes that affected them.

there are special versions of java posted on apple's site (google)

that will probably resolve the majority of your issues.

Hi, I've also had this problem trying to update Monkey on Yosemite. It won't let me run pod farm and says license isn't found. When I open license manager it says I am licensed. I've tried deleting and moving the audio drivers in the manner suggested by previous posts and it did not solve anything. It's been more than a month now since I have been unable to use my ux2 with pod farm. Whether the problem lies with Apple's updates or not, there must be some sort of basic fix that line 6 can put forward as I don't plan on waiting to see if Apple's next update doesn't have this problem to use recording software, and will buy something from another company if no solution is offered. 

Thanks!

I had the same problem in Yosemite: Monkey would hang on launch, bouncing in dock, preventing me from updating HD500x or Variax.  So frustrating...

FIX!!

\Library\Audio\Plug-Ins\HAL folder (off Root, not your personal library) may have audio drivers.  In my case, it was the driver for the utility Hear, but it seems there are others which will also crash Monkey.  Try removing any files in there, at least temporarily, then reboot.  Fixed my issues...  Of course, removing those drivers will cripple software associated with them, which is why you may wish to cut and paste them to somewhere else, then put them back, depending on your circumstances.

Hello everyone

My Spanish is very weak but I do concur that the Avid CoreAudio plug-in installed by proTools causes the problem in my setup as well.

I was working on a project today that used a Native Instruments plug-in called Guitar Rig. It would not work in ProTools. When I tried to launch the standalone version is exhibited the same bouncing icon behavior as Monkey does with Yosemite.

There is a procedure on the Native Instruments web site that describes how to relocate the Avid CoreAudio plug-in. After a reboot. Both Guitar rig and Line 6 Monkey launched correctly.

If you use Avid Hardware - you need this plug-in for ProTools. I use MOTU hardware so when I removed the plug-in, Guitar rig, Monkey and proTools all worked correctly.

If you are not using ProTools and you have the problem - you should check all of the software you use for Yosemite Compliance. It may be another package causing the problem. But if you use ProTools this fix may get you going again.

I have pasted in the information from the Native Instruments Web Site here below.....

Hope this helps

Art Braun

Disclaimer: This article describes the manual uninstallation of a third-party manufacturer component. Native Instruments cannot be held responsible for any damages to your system caused by following these instructions.

Products with a hardware dependency, such as MASCHINE, KOMPLETE KONTROL, TRAKTOR, GUITAR RIG, and Controller Editor will not launch when the AVID CoreAudioManager / Drivers are installed under 10.10 Yosemite. In stand-alone mode the application will freeze after launching, in plug-in mode the plug-in validation of the host program will fail, which might crash or freeze the host program or make the plug-in unavailable within the host program.

Native Instruments and Avid are working together to resolve this compatibility issue.

Follow these step-by-step instructions to temporarily remove the Avid CoreAudio driver in order to allow NI products to run properly under Mac OS 10.10:

1. Open the Finder and locate the following folder: Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > HAL
  2. Copy the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" to another location, for example the Desktop.

While you still can fully use Pro Tools without the Avid CoreAudio driver, it is not possible to monitor the audio output of any third-party application using your Avid audio interface. If you require this functionality again, you need to move the file back to its original location and restart your computer. In this case, the mentioned NI applications will stop working again.

That did it! My question is... how in the heck did you figure THAT out? 

• 1 month later...

HELP PLEASE! the monkey does NOT WORK with yosemite. on startup it keeps saying logging into line 6 servers but does not log in. no updates are possible. once it starts up it shows error in connecting to line 6 servers. i have tried the following but the problem persists.

1/ delete monkey from the line 6 folder within applications and the dock. download and re-install it 

2/ start the application from the applications folder

thanks in advance.

Bonjour, après avoir attendu une solution avec la dernière mise a jour de Monkey. : pas mieux , Monkey reste bloqué comme avant

J'ai donc tenté la proposition qui consiste à effacer le fichier avid :

.... et bien pour moi ça marche !!!! j'ai pu faire ma mise à jour puis remettre le fichier avid.

MERCI !!!!! Merci Fungus24 !!!!

essayez, c'est simple, et réversible

• 2 weeks later...

Well well, this is a real drag, I will need most of my Core Audio Plugins especially anything associated with Digidesign (Avid).

I am now at the very latest level of Yosemite OS X 10.10.3, and this is also following an update to fix some items in the .3 Patch.

I use Varian guitars and 2 Pods in the studio and seem to be able to get them to run on systems, that don't have anything from Avid installed. However the Main Studio system which is a "Trash Can" Mac Pro, with 32 Gb ram 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, UAD Octo Avid HDX running on a Magma Tbolt Chassis.

All that brand new and my ever reliable Line 6 gear simply does not run. Will try the Admin suggested approach again but so far no luck. No Line Monkey, is there any other way to download drivers for the Pod HD Pro and the Varian and do a direct install, possibly downloading the Workbench and other Apps as well

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1