Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Perfect Pedal Order Steve Vai

bjnette

Thanks! That was really informative on Vai's take on pedal order and stereo fx. I always ran a pedal board like the demo Boss one - all lined up in a specific order - never thought about the tonal variety (like the delay in front etc..).

Love those Boss coffee cups too!

Bill

I can only listen to Vai for so long, but I liked those coffee cups too.

Thanks! That was really informative on Vai's take on pedal order and stereo fx. I always ran a pedal board like the demo Boss one - all lined up in a specific order - never thought about the tonal variety (like the delay in front etc..).

Love those Boss coffee cups too!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Use it as "Oooo I didn't think of trying that" thing when building a patch. We (guitarists) can get pretty stubborn when it comes to things. Pedal order, tubes/ss, digital/analog, floyds...... you get the idea.  

Its not so much of thinking outside the box but realizing just how big the box is.

Now where is my blue pill? :)

-B

That is what I like about the HD's you get great amp modeling and some decent FX to try out.

You can essentially try out the modeled pedal or FX and if you like you can always get those pedals for when you go on tour.

I can actually try out some of Steve Vai's ideas with it and come up with my own too.

What other multifx guitar processors have this sort of flexibility? To be able to move fx blocks where you want them? Axe fx, obviously. I think some zoom products might allow this as well. I can't think of any others.

For some really wild stuff, check out some videos featuring Thomas Nordegg, once was (and might still be) one of Steve Vai's guitar techs.

HAha No  not many othe multi FX have the flexibility of placement! and editing as the HDs

Haha,Thomas Nordegg interesting fellow, man that Sonica system! wow, but not for me

He has just about as many FX as in the HDs.

Uses the Axe,  a couple by the looks of it.

While the Axe would be good, you don't see videos showing how to create a patch.

What I have seen to me makes it a littler more navigating to make a patch on the unbit.

Of course it has software to make it easier. 

But on the unit the HD is much better to navigate

I just tried installing axe-edit to get an idea of what makes up a patch. It installs fine, and runs fine, but apparently you need the physical unit to do anything, unlike hd edit. The next best thing would be to look at the manuals or watch some videos. But then again, unless you have around 3k to through away, it's just a waste of time.

Hi duncann,

the last released axe-edit versions need the device connected to do anything, but some previous versions work also in offline mode..

you can download the offline-working v 1.0.318 from here: http://archive.axefx.fr/

Thanks hurghanico. After reading your post about earlier versions, I went back and found that link for the older versions. One thing I immediately noticed is that the interface actually scales and can be made bigger. I don't have to squint (even with glasses) to see stuff. Should be interesting checking things out for sure.