Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help for beginners to the Amplifi

wilson69978

Hello friends: I am new to the forum and the amplifi but I have figured out a few things that may be frustrating other new users.

The online tutorials only go so far, you need to figure some stuff out for yourself.

You should follow the online video instructions on the Line6 website to update the hardware ( that means update the amp itself)

This can be done from the amplifi app.   Don't assume anything.  Take the time to follow the instructions exactly

and you should be good to go.

After you have updated the amp you will see 25 banks of 4 tones each in the  amplifi app.

Let me be very clear about this:  These tones can be heard only if you use the app and amplifi  together at the same time.

They are only accessable from the app not the amp. If you close the app or use the amp as a stand alone unit you won't be able to access them.

So How do you get your custom sounds onto the amp?  

1.Go to the line6 website and navigate to the Amplifi help videos.

Watch the line6 tutorial on how to create a custom tone.

2.Go to MY Tones in the app and highlight your tone.

3.At top right of app window you will see that Save to Hardware is now lit up

4. You must load your tone onto bank  1 A  1B   1C  or 1D only. (if you want to access them without the app)

I wrongly assumed that bank 25 user A B C and D were the places to load tones. 

This is fine if you are using the app and amp together,  but if you want the amp as a stand alone

for a rehearsal or performance, you need to load bank 1.

What about the FVB EXPRESS MKII pedal?

I'm so glad you asked.   Again, the pedal and the app don't work together.  End of story.

Use the pedal to change up the tones on the amplifi only when you are not using the app.

The pedal works fine for tuning, volume, wah wah,  and changing up the four loaded amp

tones on A B C D respectively, and tap tempo for modulation, and delay effects.

What if I want to turn effects on and off with the pedal?

For that you need the FVB shortboard pedal.  Roughly a hundred bucks more than the express pedal.

There is all kinds of documentation on Utube.

Poor man's stomp box using the FVB EXpress pedal.

- This is my own solution to turning effects on and off.  It has the drawback of using only one amp model

for the four presets.  

- Pick a favorite amp and set it up with a clean tone.

- Copy and save the amp into a new tone location in MY TONES  with your chosen effects.  

I made one with clean, clean with chorus,  clean with stomp (distortion pedal turned on) and clean with delay.

I then loaded the four tones onto the amp at locations  1A 1B 1C and 1D.

Close the app.  Don't forget that part!  Hook up the express pedal and use buttons A B C D to go from clean to chorus

to distortion to delay.    

I hope this can make life easier for a few of you.   Best of luck and happy pickin'.